PTO2 has arrived and mini review

MustangSally

Just a short review on the new PTO 2. The thing that first pops out is that it's larger than the original...about a third larger overall. 
The case is made of plastic with brass inserts in  the back for mounting. I like the look, especially the quality of design and placement of switches/levers.
The switches feel more positive and easily identified due to the differently shaped switch  levers. The gear and hook levers are now pull before actuation.

I really like the panel and will be incorporating it in my pit very soon. I'm not going to go into the pros and cons as this is very subjective and I'm sure they will be more in depth reviews in the coming days.

20230921_194829.jpg

20230921_194854.jpg

20230921_194904.jpg

20230921_194921.jpg

Edited by MustangSally
  • Like 7

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

This thing looks awesome. 

If I don't have any other Winwing stuff, would you guys still recommend using this? Or is this thing best hooked up into their entire ecosystem? It's just usb by itself right?

I wonder  how or where to mount it...

• Like 1

Intel i5 13600 cpu // Gigabyte z790 Aorus Elite AX // 64GB RAM // RTX4070ti // VKB Black Mamba MkIII // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // Rift S

vor 5 Stunden schrieb kestrel79:

This thing looks awesome. 

If I don't have any other Winwing stuff, would you guys still recommend using this? Or is this thing best hooked up into their entire ecosystem? It's just usb by itself right?

I wonder  how or where to mount it...

The "ecosystem" doesn`t matter at all. I only have the "old" PTO but also ordered this one.

If you have a stick, throttle and rudders already (no matter of which brand) then this surely is a nice addition even just for the gear lever.

• Like 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

Thanks Phantom,

Is the PTO easy to mount? I have an Obutto Ozone cockpit, I have some button boxes mounted with RAM mounts probably would have to do something similar.

Intel i5 13600 cpu // Gigabyte z790 Aorus Elite AX // 64GB RAM // RTX4070ti // VKB Black Mamba MkIII // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // Rift S

This is the mount of the old one. 

The PTO 2 has the newer style of clamps just like the MIP.

I don‘t know your arrangement but you can certainly find different ways of mounting it in a more customized manner.

Check out the download section of the winwing page…you can find all manuals there and they usually have all the dimensions in there also.

IMG_8319.jpeg

Edited by Phantom711

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

Mine is also on the way, so is an aluminium plate for mounting 🙂 I really wish they just made it mountable to their Orion Bases. Regardless, very excited!

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

• MustangSally changed the title to PTO2 has arrived and mini review
14 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

Thanks Phantom,

Is the PTO easy to mount? I have an Obutto Ozone cockpit, I have some button boxes mounted with RAM mounts probably would have to do something similar.

I've added some extra pics showing the mounting brackets included

• Like 2

I have an Obutto Ozone, so a clamp mount would work best for me. I've done RAM mounts in the past.

Is this thing plug and play USB for every button and lever? Or do I need software to make it work in IL2- Great Battles out of the box? Again not familiar with Winwing.

8 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

I have an Obutto Ozone, so a clamp mount would work best for me. I've done RAM mounts in the past.

Is this thing plug and play USB for every button and lever? Or do I need software to make it work in IL2- Great Battles out of the box? Again not familiar with Winwing.

It's essentially a button box. If you want to sync the lighting to the Hornet, you will need to run Wingwings proprietary software.....Simappro. For everything else just bind and go.

Mine has arrived too. While I have yet to try it in flight, I do have to say it’s a bit disappointing how limited the mounting is. I am on a DoF motion sim platform, and this panel comes without any mount option to one of the main motion platforms out there. There should be some holes for screwing this at least on the bottom. So for now I’ll have to order an extra mounting plate from Amazon and stick it to metal, which I’m not sure how feasible it will be

edit: I was able to mount it using a universal mount from Amazon. Not ideal, as it is still connected by the sticky pads only, but it seems ok for now. 

08931FAE-90F4-4D86-86D1-A7642FEDD874.jpeg

Edited by Dentedend10

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

1 hour ago, Spetz said:

Just wondering, do you have to program each switch or does it work out of the box with DCS?

You bind the controls

I got mine last Thursday, and I have to say, I'm rather disappointed with the build quality compared to the PTO 1... I immediately noticed that the parking switch didn't function as demonstrated in their promotional video, but even some of the other switches / levers feel toy like (gear, hook, and wing fold). These things I can live with, just would have been nice to have more metal in the build opposed to plastic, especially with the handles.

The worst part was when screwing the bolt into the embedded nut at the back (to mount to a plate), the nut completely snapped in half... Wasn't being over tightened at all. I submitted a ticket, and after politely going back and forth with support, their only  solution is to use one of the other mounting methods, which isn't ideal considering the layout of my pit.

WW PTO 2 Nut.jpg

• Like 1

Corsair Vengeance C-70 (OD), EVGA Z370 FTW, i7-8700k, Noctua NH-D15, RTX 4070ti TUF OC, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Samsung SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB & 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB , WD Black 4TB Perf HDD - 7200 RPM SuperNOVA 750W P2 Modular, ASUS ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440
TM Warthog, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, VPC CM3 Base, VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Apache-64, VPC Control Panel 1, WinWing PTO 2, Cougar MFD's, TekCreations F/A-18C Master Arm, Koolertron Keypad, Meta Quest 3
A-10C/II - AH-64D - AV-8B - CH-47F - F-4E - F-5E - F-14 - F-15E -  F-16C - F/A-18C - P-51D - Bf-109K4 - FC3 - UH-1H - Combined Arms - Super Carrier - Flaming Cliffs 3

Nevada - Normandy - Persian Gulf - Sinai - Syria

Use a drop of CA and push it back in!

Disappointed to read your disappointment. Would you still recommend this panel? And if not, do you see a viable alternative? I know about the Virpil's one, but it's significantly more expensive and is mostly just buttons.

Now, if I take it, I wonder about a couple of things. Did you try to moint int on top of sa Monstertech support?

More minor stuff. I like the T-shaped switch but I'd like to use it rather as the water injection switch in the Harrier, so I'd need it to be a 3-position. Is it possible to swap switch endings (don't know how you call them, basically keycaps for switches)?

I have a ticket in with WW about the parking brake.  I got my first response today that said: "Hello, you can try to rotate it left and right, or gently lift it up".  So, they/she didn't indicate that it did not turn vertically..  But maybe she doesn't know what she's talking about??    And I think that's a model (not a real product) in the video.  So, the video guy may have messed up turning it vertical?

Does the Emergency/Parking Brake turn vertically?  And does it stay in that position?  Mine does not, and I finally found a manual, thanks to a post in this thread.

Here is a vid of my Parking Break issue.  I don't know if it even is supposed to turn vertically???

Also, I don't like this new bracket.  The bracket for my Combat Panel is adjustable and I have it clamped to a 2x4 in my pit.  I don't know how I am going to use this bracket..

Here are some pics of my setup, with my actuator to move my panels/throttle.  I have a switch at the front/side of my seat.

IMG20230926125145.jpg

IMG20230926125217.jpg

IMG20230926125137.jpg

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

vor 24 Minuten schrieb Snacko:

Does the Emergency/Parking Brake turn vertically?  And does it stay in that position?

Well it does in the real F/A-18. (You can also tell by the inscription on the handle and next to it).

Since the PTO is heavily Hornet-inspired and the video showed it turning vertical, it would have been my assumption as well, that on could operate the handle somewhat close to the real thing. I have not received my PTO2 yet but reading this is in fact a bit of a disappointment to me as well.

image.png

7 hours ago, Snacko said:

I have a ticket in with WW about the parking brake.  I got my first response today that said: "Hello, you can try to rotate it left and right, or gently lift it up".  So, they/she didn't indicate that it did not turn vertically..  But maybe she doesn't know what she's talking about??    And I think that's a model (not a real product) in the video.  So, the video guy may have messed up turning it vertical?

Does the Emergency/Parking Brake turn vertically?  And does it stay in that position?  Mine does not, and I finally found a manual, thanks to a post in this thread.

Here is a vid of my Parking Break issue.  I don't know if it even is supposed to turn vertically???

Also, I don't like this new bracket.  The bracket for my Combat Panel is adjustable and I have it clamped to a 2x4 in my pit.  I don't know how I am going to use this bracket..

Here are some pics of my setup, with my actuator to move my panels/throttle.  I have a switch at the front/side of my seat.

IMG20230926125145.jpg

IMG20230926125217.jpg

IMG20230926125137.jpg

Same exact for me.  I think It's supposed to be like this and whoever did the promo video for WW thought the same as we did.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Here is what support said. I don't blame them, I can work with that.

The parking brake is designed for universal compatibility, taking into consideration the input requirements of existing games and the versatility across multiple aircraft modules such as the P51 and Apache. It has been clearly stated in our promotional materials that this is a universal design. The product manual provides details on angle display, and in the video, there is a 1-second shot where an error by the advertising production team resulted in a 30° exaggeration of the rotation angle. However, the actual motion of the parking brake, which involves pushing, pulling, and rotating, is correct. Upon receiving user feedback, we have addressed this issue openly in the comments section of the YouTube video. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

On 9/25/2023 at 2:39 PM, Adrian858 said:

I got mine last Thursday, and I have to say, I'm rather disappointed with the build quality compared to the PTO 1... I immediately noticed that the parking switch didn't function as demonstrated in their promotional video, but even some of the other switches / levers feel toy like (gear, hook, and wing fold). These things I can live with, just would have been nice to have more metal in the build opposed to plastic, especially with the handles.

The worst part was when screwing the bolt into the embedded nut at the back (to mount to a plate), the nut completely snapped in half... Wasn't being over tightened at all. I submitted a ticket, and after politely going back and forth with support, their only  solution is to use one of the other mounting methods, which isn't ideal considering the layout of my pit.

WW PTO 2 Nut.jpg

I agree, with your opinion... but I'll just come out and say it.......... I'm a Thrustmaster Warthog fanboy.... there.... I said it... and no, I don't need an intervention. :poster_oops2:

I have a TMWH, Crosswinds, BlackHog, K51 Trim box, Master/Arm panel, Virpil CP#2, and PTO2. There's a TM Viper Panel due to ship here on Oct. 12th. When it gets here I'll be able to formulate my opinion on some of these. I love my Warthog, I changed out the Slew and Pinky Switch with DeltaSim replacements and put a 10cm curved extension on the stick. had a friend make new panels for it and the BlackHog, I've had it for over 10 years. The BlackHog most people would disregard because it's blacked out... no lights... but it's very solid. I have the Virpil CP#2, with a landing gear handle... It's nice but there are some cheesy switches. (I'm donating it to a friend) The Guarded switch doesn't even stay latched...(three position that doesn't latch in either direction).....WTF... why even have a hinged guard on them... LMAO.... I agree with the opinion on the PTO2 Hook and Wingfold handles.. it does have nice tactile-shaped switches.. mine works, loaded up SAP and it works as advertised. I'm hoping TM's Panel isn't a lick and a promise on the build quality of the TMWH. Virpil and WinWing are fair to middlin' in my eye. They get about half of it right and blow it on the rest... Once I get the panel,  and finish building the quick disconnect Left console I'll let you guys know how I like the PTO2 and Panel.  Use some J/B weld on that screw insert, it won't come out again...

:drinks_cheers:

Sempre Fortis