VR DCS 2.9 WOW!!!!

Motomouse

I was blind, and now I can see.

This patch is a dogfight enabler. Finally I am able to spot at a reasonable distance.

Thanks ED for this great update.

I can crank up my settings substantially at the same or better performance.

(5600 + 3080 + Aero)

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Finally long-awaited DLSS support, also TAA option which is nice.  Can't wait to check it out.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I prefer 39 PPD + DLAA @ 45 FPS fixed (good performance) on the Aero

versus

DLSS Quality (higher performance)

I prefer to reduce visibility distance on heavier maps to sustain the 45 Frames versus using DLSS to achieve this goal.

DLSS is blurry mess for me compared to what I was running before. I have a fairly highend system, 5800x3d/4090 and I run 1.5x native render res on my Quest Pro.  With MSAAx2, the frame rate and shimmerring was acceptable.

Enabling DLSS (quality) makes everything blurry, and I need to bump DCS's PD at least to 1.5, which makes everything somewhat sharp again. With the additional DLSS processing, I actually loose a bit of frame rate.

Shimmering is gone, but now I have to deal with smears and still slightly blurry image. *sigh*

Edited by recoilfx
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Motomouse said:

Amazing

Yeah. I'm gonna be honest, I didn't believe that ED could fix VR performance anytime soon, but I was wrong. I just flew a multiplayer mission that had FPS drops to ~15 quite often in DCS 2.8, and now in DCS 2.9, it was doing a steady 80 fps. I had not even seen 80 fps in singleplayer before. @BIGNEWY, will you please say thanks to the development team for me, I am impressed!

Edited by Aquorys
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Aquorys said:

Yeah. I'm gonna be honest, I didn't believe that ED could fix VR performance anytime soon, but I was wrong. I just flew a multiplayer mission that had FPS drops to ~15 quite often in DCS 2.8, and now in DCS 2.9, it was doing a steady 80 fps. I had not even seen 80 fps in singleplayer before. @BIGNEWY, will you please say thanks to the development team for me, I am impressed!

Mind if I ask what settings you are using? Might save some time with dialing in the right recipe. Thanks!

This is a screenshot of the graphics settings. VR is a Rift S.

Energy management mode is set for optimum performance, I think everything else are default values. nVidia RTX2070S, i7 8-Core, 80 GiB RAM.

Hope that helps, cheers!

image.png

Edited by Aquorys

First time I can fly the P47 in the free flight mission on the channel map at the same settings I use for caucasus. 

These are my favourite OpenXR-Varjo-Foveated settings right now:

peripheral_multiplier=0.9
focus_multiplier=1.2
horizontal_focus_scale=1.1
vertical_focus_scale=1
turbo_mode=1
no_eye_tracking=0

Combined with DLAA & 39 PPD Aero this is gorgeous. Pixels are a word of the past now.

With 2.9 I am also able to drive high shadows in every situation, this also adds a lot to immersion. I tended to not use shadows for a more fluid experience prior to the patch.

Edited by Motomouse

34 minutes ago, Motomouse said:

First time I can fly the P47 in the free flight mission on the channel map at the same settings I use for caucasus. 

These are my favourite OpenXR-Varjo-Foveated settings right now:

peripheral_multiplier=0.9
focus_multiplier=1.2
horizontal_focus_scale=1.1
vertical_focus_scale=1
turbo_mode=1
no_eye_tracking=0

Combined with DLAA & 39 PPD Aero this is gorgeous. Pixels are a word of the past now.

With 2.9 I am also able to drive high shadows in every situation, this also adds a lot to immersion. I tended to not use shadows for a more fluid experience prior to the patch.

DLAA looks amazing in the Varjo.

I have an older version of Varjo Fovetead , peripheral .6 and Focus 1.3

What does the below settings do?

horizontal_focus_scale
vertical_focus_scale

These two values set the size of the focus area.

I prefer a slightly higher horizontal width than the default. That way i rarely notice the focus area border transistion.

Edited by Motomouse

All of the new antialiasing settings and upscaling options are such blurry messes that the increase in framerates is meaningless since I can't even read my own gauges on my Quest 2. In general I seem to have gained a couple fps with MSAA as opposed to 2.8 so I'll just live with the jaggies and shimmering until the aliasing options get ironed out.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nealius said:

All of the new antialiasing settings and upscaling options are such blurry messes that the increase in framerates is meaningless since I can't even read my own gauges on my Quest 2. In general I seem to have gained a couple fps with MSAA as opposed to 2.8 so I'll just live with the jaggies and shimmering until the aliasing options get ironed out.

Have you turned off upscaling and tried DLAA?

On the the pancake side of things DLAA is far superior to the old MSAA, both in quality and performance.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Have you also change the sharpening setting?

DLAA looks very promising. For me, it has eliminated most of the shimmering around objects and landscape. It makes the overall picture look much more natural.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

love DLAA and SSS - however MT still micro stutters so back again to ST which is a smooth as butter

Really hope ED make time to sort out the smoothness of MT else all these new features are pointless

• Like 1

-----------------------------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5800X @ 4.8Gz; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk; GeForce RTX 4090 MSI Trio;  32MB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz; Samsung 980 pro M.2; Varjo Aero VR; Thrustmaster Warthog stick, Viper TQS throttle & MFD's; Monza SR-P pedals

I was wrong and underestimated DLSS. 

Just give it a try with 0.5 sharpening. (I can not stand DLSS without the sharpening.)

It is insane what level of GPU graphics settings I am able to drive with the 5600&3080 combo:

Ambient occlusion, all shadow settings, cockpit illumination, ... every GPU related setting to max

To be fixed: DLSS lighting problems in some situations, have to try how big I can make the focus area with DLSS and what are the consequences on the lighting artefacts. (I only have experienced lighting problems on one map yet. Have to check later in what situations the artefacts arise.)

Edited by Motomouse

Yes DLSS does also not play nice with global illumination, SSAO or SSS.

I am using DLAA again.

On the 3080 I have to go with low terrain textures for multiplayer to stay in my VRAM limits in heavier scenarios.

But I am fine with the low terrain textures for multiplayer. Looks still good with DLAA and 0.66 shrarpening. Better to stay at 45 FPS to prevent stuttering.

Edited by Motomouse

Whatever they did in this update, made it so unplayable in Oculus Quest 2, i have ghosting on everything now even with DLSS off, tried different AA modes, sharpening and all

Even the knobs in the F-16 showing ghosting effects when i flick them around it's miserable

I had a fun high fps dogfight with someone online yesterday and i couldnt see him at all at some points and when i start to see him i see lines trailing him

so much ghosting for some reason?

Still not really getting anywhere. Quest 2 resolution 1.1x at 72Hz, PD1.0, and MSAAx2 I get better clarity and better framerates than Quest 2 resolution max, PD1.5, DLSS balanced, sharpening 1.

The new upscaling/AA methods just swap me from being GPU-bound with MSAA to being CPU-bound, with essentially the same framerates or less, except gauges are barely readable due to blur. The only advantage I really get out of the new stuff is smoother flying down low at lower framerates and no shimmering.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.10.21 - 11.16.26.85.png

Edited by Nealius