DLSS 3 frame generation - is it working?

Ace to see DLSS/DLAA have arrived.

So far so good on my own system.

A question for those using 4x Nvidia GPUs, is frame generation working and improving your frame rate?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I could easily be wrong, as this isn't exactly an area of expertise for me...

...but I was under the impression that the new DCS implementation was using DLSS 2.0, whereas frame generation is only supported in DLSS 3.0.

Again, I could very well be mistaken.

Free professional advice: Do not rely upon any advice concerning computers from anyone who uses the terms "beast" or "rocking" to refer to computer hardware.  Just...don't.  You've been warned.

While we're at it, people should stop using the term "uplift" to convey "increase".  This is a technical endeavor, we're not in church or at the movies - and it's science, not drama.

3 hours ago, kksnowbear said:

I could easily be wrong, as this isn't exactly an area of expertise for me...

...but I was under the impression that the new DCS implementation was using DLSS 2.0, whereas frame generation is only supported in DLSS 3.0.

Again, I could very well be mistaken.

This is my understanding too.

Frame generation is a DLSS 3 feature. DCS is using DLSS 2.

14 hours ago, diego999 said:

This is my understanding too.

Frame generation is a DLSS 3 feature. DCS is using DLSS 2.

No, it‘s 3, but obviously Frame Generation is optional. Maybe it had downsides we don’t know of, or comes later. Don’t know.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

23 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

DCS is using DLSS 3.5  without frame generation

Gotcha.

So the DLSS/DLAA uses the latest AI enhanced logic, cool.

Is frame generation planned in the future?

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Up!

LOMAC, FC, DCS, AV-8B, F/A-18, F-16, AH-64, Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, Syria.

i7 12700K, 4070 Ti PNY XLR8 OC, 64 RAM DDR4 3200, B660M Aorus Pro, 1T NVMe Kingston Fury Renegade (DCS), 1T NVMe Kingston NV2 (OS), ASUS QHD 31,5" VG32VQ1B, VKB Gladiator Pro (metal gimbal) + Kosmosima grip, CH Pro Throttle, TIR 5.

I don't know if Frame Generation would be a good thing. It has its issues (very slight Input Lag, sometimes Visual Glitches). But if the Implementation could be done with almost none of these Issues it would be nice.

But I higly doubt it. Imagine if you track an enemy on a radar and you get another ghosting position because of the generated Frames...

Edited by FR4GGL3

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bookmarking this topic. MY POST WILL BECOME RELEVANT IF DCS IMPLEMENTS THE FRAME GENERATION OPTION AS DISCUSSED HERE. THIS TOOL ALLOWS 20xx AND 30xx TO IMPLEMENT THE 40xx CARD FRAME GENERATION, AND WITH ANOTHER GITHUB MOD, IT CAN BE APPLIED TO ANY GAME THAT SUPPORTS THE FEATURE (hopefully DCS in the near future. In fact, this info might be a compelling reason for DCS debs to implement this feature, as it opens the process to 20xx and 30xx owners!)

But right now, if you own FS2020, read on...

Today I found a fantastic mod that allowed users of NON 40xx Nvidia cards to implement the frame generation in FS2020. The setup was very simple, and it works FANTASTIC in FS2020. 

With my 13900k processor and 3080 Ti GPU, after applying the mod/fix, the Regeneration setting became enabled in FS2020, I flipped it on, and it is a GAME CHANGER! I even maxed everything out in graphics to ULTRA, and I mean EVERYTHING. There is literally no more graphics to apply.

I always restrict my flight sim FPS in NVCP, and with my frames restricted to 60fps I get a solid 50-60 fps at LAX and JFK. In other areas less graphic intensive, I get a solid, locked 60 FPS. FS202 for me is now everything it should be, with ALL graphics on max at 2560x1440.

Now, reference artifacts, etc. There are some. There is also the occasional microstutter. However, I can tell you, it is not bothersome at all. Most of it is the game menu's jittering when you look around with TrackIR, like when you open the ATC menu. But otherwise, it's really not noticeable at all.

I found this topic because I was hoping to try it with DCS. There is an additional process to allow you to apply the same modification to anything else, as long as the game supports the frame generation for 40xx cards, you can enable it on the 20xx and 30xx also. Unfortunately it appears we can't do that.

However, if you have FS2020 and a 20xx or 30xx care, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you give this a shot. It's real easy. 

Here are the links for any FS2020 owners if you are interested, and I've also attached my own little sheet for the steps I took, but there is a very small readme with the download that tells you what to do. Again, very simple, you can do it in 2 minutes. I only wrote my own little "guide" so I can remember things I did (like backing up the FS folder, registry, and creating a restore point first.

If DCS ends up enabling this process, then this neat little mod would certainly be applicable for those with non-40xx cards.

Trust me FS2020 drivers....I wouldn't have posted this unless I was totally amazed by this.

GITHUB link for original (it will send you to Vortex:

GitHub - Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3: Adds AMD FSR 3 Frame Generation to games by replacing Nvidia DLSS-G Frame Generation (nvngx_dlssg).

GITHUB link for applying it to other/all games that support regen:

Enabling Frame Generation · Issue #15 · Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3 · GitHub

Vortex for the file:

dlssg-to-fsr3 (Replace Nvidia DLSS-G Frame Gen with AMD FSR 3 Frame Gen) at Modding Tools - Nexus Mods

The video showing it (also contains link to GITHUB, which sends you to the zip file on Vortex)

Enable Frame Generation on ALL RTX Cards-STEPS.txt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I’ve tried Frame Generation in MSFS it can cause this flickering on textures and some cockpit displays. I found that I preferred to leave it off. The frame rate boost is kinda amazing but not worth the artifacts. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The artifacts I see at times remind me a bit of trying to use reprojection in DCS with VR in the AH-64, when you look up at the rotor it's a blurred wobbly mess. 

I have no artifacts at all on the terrain, just the menu's, and in the payware H-145 helicopter HUD.  But overall it looks great, and I prefer it over looking at terrible looking buildings and watching terrain pop in.

One thing I didn't mention was that there was no change in anything in MSI afterburner except the CPU usage up. Very little effect on my 3080Ti, still only using about 50-60% of the GPU.

With my rig I actually have DCS running quite well, but I would sure love the opportunity to try it with DCS and I bet I could max everything out, then again the CPU is my bottleneck to begin with.

Another question is does frame generation even work with Vulkan?  If DCS is never going to enable frame generation, kind of a moot question though.

EDIT: Answered my own question. It appears DLSS frame generation is DX12 only, but DLSS Super Resolution is DX11, DX12, and Vulkan. DLSS - Download and Get Started | NVIDIA Developer

According to the Stormbirds article though, DCS is apparently going to implement DX12 along with Vulkan? If that's the case, maybe they'll flip the frame generation switch on at that time (if DX12 is offered along with Vulkan, as it seems DX12 is required for framer generation per the Nvidia Developer site?)  Big DCS update: Vulkan, F-16C, AMRAAM, Forrestal and more! – Stormbirds

Edited by Hootman9104

8 hours ago, Hootman9104 said:

According to the Stormbirds article though, DCS is apparently going to implement DX12 along with Vulkan? If that's the case, maybe they'll flip the frame generation switch on at that time (if DX12 is offered along with Vulkan, as it seems DX12 is required for framer generation per the Nvidia Developer site?)  Big DCS update: Vulkan, F-16C, AMRAAM, Forrestal and more! – Stormbirds

Nah, nowhere in that highlighted fragment of article Shamrock suggests additional DX12 support being planned for DCS, he just mentions its internal testing and capabilities in general, next to Vulkan's ones. 

Even if there were doubts about future plans back in '21 when the article was written, it's safe to assume today based on later ED newsletters that DCS is going strictly Vulkan.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that's why I had a question mark after the comment. 

Based on my experience with the tool in FS2020, it does introduce some artifacts in certain situations, especially HUD elements. The only HUD I have in FS2020 is the payware Hype H145 (if anyone has FS2020 I can highly recommend that payware, along with the paid GTN750 that it has. Super aircraft that support a lot of third party things like LilNavMap and Navigraph charts and much more on the aircraft pad and GTN750).

Vulkan will be enough I guess. I already DCS pretty well with my 13900k processor and 3080 Ti GPU, but look forward to the day when it's possible to really step up the graphics full tilt, including the NVCP tweaks.

Using my own server, I can actually run DCS Liberation FULL Syria map at 60 FPS with good graphics. (sadly, full Syria Map no longer supported past Liberation 8.1, so I'm sticking with that for now).