2.9 Frame Time Stuttering

noisy_lightning
Go to solution Solved by noisy_lightning,

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Lange_666:

That's nothing new, loading unused objects/textures like flares or explosions has been causing stutters since the very beginning of DCS.

I agree, but 2.9 has increased the problem significantly!

• Like 1

Kind regards

Hans Dieter

System: Win 11 Prof, 64 Bit, AMD 4350 Quad-Core, Gigabyte-Board 970A-UD3P, 16 GB-RAM; ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB - Nvidia Geforce

are most of you guys on windows 10 or 11?

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

Im on WIN 11 with i7 13700, 64GB RAM, and 4080.  Reading this thread...should I select process affinity, disable the 8th Core....disable all my non-DCS mods?  Thoroughly confused, as you can tell (!).  Would appreciate any help....Im grounded and want to get airborne!

I have got the same. 2.8 pretty stable, 2.9 stutters.

Tried to:

- unpark the cores,

- change BIOS options for Intel,

- change windows hardware acceleration on/off, game mode on/off,

- all DCS settings low to off

- set fps limit on/off

- different nVidia settings

- upgrade nVidia driver to latest version

- DCS clean and repair

it will always stutter both ST and MT version.  No success. 2.8 was stable and fine to me, without stuttering, 2.9 graphs of performance almost the same as

On 10/21/2023 at 1:46 AM, Jimmytime said:

Skael - Did you check  if Vertical sync is enabled in Nvidia Control and in Game, or maybe Max frame rate? 

I may have found something and it may be with higher end PCs. If might be that we're hitting the theoretical FPS limit. I've noticed when it's normal it shows GPU Bound and shows a theor. limit which on mine is very high like 380 FPS where the actual FPS is around 180 (Seems to max out there for me.) When I was flying over water with little detail it would start to stutter, also zoomed on the panels, or F10 map would do it too. It would switch from GPU BOUND to CPU BOUND FPS LIMIT. Not sure if this is a 4k and 2K thing and may not affect 1080P? Disabling efficiency cores did not help.

I've set my max frame rate to 180 and background max to 180. Going to test some more, will advise.

Per Lange_666:
Default FPS is set to 180 FPS in Graphics.lua file in \Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config.

Will only help if you are hitting 180 FPS, thanks to Lange_666, helped me out for sure. 

Screenshot 2023-10-20 193709.png

Screenshot 2023-10-20 193816.png

546.png

I'm having the same issue in Windows 11 Pro, i7-12700KF, 32 GB memory and a 360TI.
Occurs in MT and Single, SP and MP. It's worst in the external view, of others in MP. Planes start to flicker.

I tried literally everything (clean install, different drivers, graphic settings), rollback to 2.8 solved the issue, so it's clearly a 2.9 thingy.

• Like 1

Ok, it´s a Beta-version and we cannot await all runs perfect. Nevertheless I think about switching bach to the last stable 2.8 version. Anyone who knows how to get and install a former version? If there is no other way I will go back to an older SSD-backup.

• Like 1

Kind regards

Hans Dieter

System: Win 11 Prof, 64 Bit, AMD 4350 Quad-Core, Gigabyte-Board 970A-UD3P, 16 GB-RAM; ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB - Nvidia Geforce

DCS_updater.exe [command] [version]@[branch]

That would be: Drive:\\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_Updater.exe 2.8.8.43704@openbeta

Or you could use SkateZilla's updater to revert to any previous version (and a lot more):
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/134493-the-dcs-updater-launcher-gui-utility-version-20-2023/

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 10/25/2023 at 7:27 AM, CptSnafu said:

I'm having the same issue in Windows 11 Pro, i7-12700KF, 32 GB memory and a 360TI.
Occurs in MT and Single, SP and MP. It's worst in the external view, of others in MP. Planes start to flicker.

I tried literally everything (clean install, different drivers, graphic settings), rollback to 2.8 solved the issue, so it's clearly a 2.9 thingy.

If you want to play 2.9 without MT run the DCS.exe directly from your DCS main folder, not the desktop shortcut. 

From two quick test flights on PG and Syria, I‘d say yes. The regular terrain stutters I had before seem to be much much better. But I haven’t done any methodical testing. 

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Significant improvement now for me, not completely gone but now playable at least.

Syria, F16, instant action free flight mission, on launch it stuttered like mad but after 30 minutes of flying around it almost completely resolved itself.

Yet to fly other maps in different modules, so can't say for certain, but may well be a shader rebuild issue...?

10 hours ago, noisy_lightning said:

Significant improvement now for me, not completely gone but now playable at least.

Syria, F16, instant action free flight mission, on launch it stuttered like mad but after 30 minutes of flying around it almost completely resolved itself.

Yet to fly other maps in different modules, so can't say for certain, but may well be a shader rebuild issue...?

It should be better on a second launch then, when all the freshly compiled shaders are cashed. Have you tried to run the mission a second time?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

It should be better on a second launch then, when all the freshly compiled shaders are cashed. Have you tried to run the mission a second time?

I ran the F16 Instant Action Mission (Free Flight) on Syria three times in total and flew in different cardinal directions from spawn each time. First Straight south into Israel landing at Ramat David, Then directly East and then as far North as I could before running out of fuel. Only thing I change other than flight direction was turning on DLAA and SSS for the final flight. Stuttering increased initially for the first few minutes and then settled down so the point it was non-existent in the cockpit. Had stuttering on external views, still but again, the more time I spent in external view the less the stuttering appeared. 

I will repeat the same tonight with the same mission, module and map, then see if how it compares with a different module.

Just tried the hotfix:

Sorry, but this "hotfix" is absolutely horrible: On ground after activting Maverick-sight with my system I have an impact from 33 fps to 28 fps ans after activating TGP (in adition with Mav-sight) only 17 fps (Syria-map, Ramat David, F-16, MT-mode)!!!!

The BETA-version is no longer playable for me! 😢

Update:

Made a mission: With activated AA- and AG-radar-mode in the F-16: Radar works great (now also Maverick-locks 👍) but horrible freezes. Even without activated radar : Freezes over freezes!!!

Edited by Simpit

Kind regards

Hans Dieter

Glad it's not just me.

It seems to be an autogen issue and more specifically looking at the cockpit panel in an area of heavy autogen. As soon as you look away from the cockpit panel or go to an external view or fly off into the desert the issue resolves itself. I'm not sure if they've changed anything about autogen between 2.8 and 2.9 or whether it's to do with the new rendering.

I have linked a video trying to illustrate what I'm seeing. Apologies for the lack of subtlety with the editing.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xop4fpas421yb1f4r1skv/FPS-Test.mp4?rlkey=xgr4oswq1nneq662sx8zz5fvh&dl=0

13700K 4090

Additional: Not an issue at night. Running smoothly at c.150fps in the same scenario at night.

And more: which led me to think about turning shadows off. No more issues at all. It's shadows causing the problems.

Edited by Tigh

"Downdated" to the last 2.8-version and all is almost perfect again 😄👍! No stuttering furthermore!

@Lange: The right command is:

DCS_updater.exe update 2.8.8.43704@openbeta

See:

Skatezillas updater don´t work for my system and the user interface a bit confusing but his post is great.

Nevertheless thanks!

Edited by Simpit

Kind regards

Hans Dieter

Downgrading is no option for Multiplayer.

Is the performance bad all the time or can you identify events when it degrades and when it recovers again?

Seems like it has a big impact if you come close to another player aircraft. I am sure the effect is just adding up with more aircraft in the area.

I started a thread about it:

Edited by darkman222

I have the same problem. I think at this point it would really be helpful if ED would just respond and let us know that they are working it. I am really looking forward to the F4 from Heatblur. I have to put all flying on DCS on hold, because I can’t fix this shuddering problem and I don’t think buying new hardware is going to fix it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I cant buy better hardware to get rid of CPU stutters. I literally have the best processor on the market. i13900KS.

If ED does not further work on MT performance improvement and or Vulkan I am afraid that the rising hardware demand of DCS will make DCS unplayable on high end VR headsets in the future.

• 2 weeks later...