AMD Radeon not good after 2.9 patch

SirBenn21

Hey all.

Not too sure if anyone else is having this problem with their AMD Radeon graphics card? Everything seams fuzzy in general with lots of ghosting and after the patch.

I initially made no changes to my settings, but putting on FSR made no improvement. In fact, I also started getting micro stutters.

It was running perfect before the patch.

I have a 6900XT on a decent PC.

Anyone else?

• Like 1

No problem here with 7900XTX, but I do not use FSR (I dislike upscaling).
FPS went even higher on their own, though I set all on high/ultra and max values. But GPU load went higher too (from usual 35% up to 70%, I am CPU bound).
I'm on latest stable driver and no AMD's tech enabled besides Radeon Chill (to limit FPS to 120 to make GPU stay more cool, I have a poor monitor)

Inviato dal mio BLA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

6950XT here. With FSR off I do not notice a difference between 2.8 and 2.9 on my end.

Using FSR with TAA will cause ghosting, no way around that, but the performance gains are huge. On my end anyway.

The only stuttering I get is the fast moving object stutter on occasion, but that is a different bug I guess.

• Like 2

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

6900xt here, with a 5800 (non-3d). I play in VR, with a Reverb G2.  With FRS everything got blurry, MFDs in my Harrier were hardly readable. I had to go back to FRS off and Msaa enabled, no real gain compared to previous update. The worst ting is I reopened the Openxr toolkit again, after several months and did something stupid so I actually lost some fps. Before the update and my tinkering, I'd usually get 45-50 fps.

I started experimenting with the DCS 2.9 Update on my RX 6800 this evening: 

Currently, My Primary Resolution is 2560 x 1440

In the AMD Software, I have Radeon Image Sharpening Enabled and Sharpness at 30%

In DCS I have:

• AMD FSR Scaling = 0.8
  • Sharpening = 0.3

Using FSR Scaling below 0.65 the image does look more blurry/fuzzy.  You will need to increase Sharpening in DCS if you are not using Radeon Image Sharpening in the Radeon Driver.

Cheers. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

For me ghosting dissapeared when I have switched GUI Scaling back to 1.

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

You shouldnt note any difference as far you dont enable FSR/TAA but if you enable it you will get more or less ghostin depending on the situation

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Firstly thanks go to Eagle Dynamics,  I was a bit down reading all the 'yes DLSS is coming' from the NVIDIA brigade and that FSR was a 'later' addition, felt like us AMDrs were an after thought so you can imagine my surprise and delight at seeing FSR2.0 in 2.9..... 

2.9 is HUGE for me.... My GPU is a RX6700xt (R5 5600x) and the move to MT and now FSR2.0 is a game changer in most cases with this lower spec GPU... with FSR2.0 I now have all textures/distances/clouds etc set at high or ultra with shadows on high but left off all the other AA options off and its just amazing how this has transformed the 'majority' of visuals...crisp lines.. no edge shimmer etc   I'm even getting a solid 75fps on my 2k monitor on a mod'd single player Battle of Brittain.. with lots of fighters/bombers etc on the channel map.

down side.....  some really nasty artifacts on other aircraft when dogfighting ie ghosting as mentioned previously and sometimes the plane im chasing is a ghost biplane 🙂 oh and I cant read the text in the cockpit without moving in closer.. 🤣 but either way im happy... its Open Beta afterall and im sure it will get much better over time....  

other than that Im still playing with the render/Sharpness settings 

Current settings:-
AMD FSR Scaling = 0.85
Sharpening = 0.7
2 hours ago, Amarok_73 said:

For me ghosting dissapeared when I have switched GUI Scaling back to 1.

need to try this

Edited by Droning_On
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

I am on RX 6700XT @1440p. For me at this moment FSR is to blurry, ghosty, etc. TAA without upscaling seems to be less blurry and looks more or less like MSAAx4 in stills, with a lot more performance. However in motion still it is not great.

If future improvements can reduce ghosting and improve sharpness of cockpits it would be great. Also FSR 3.0 brings native rendering which is equivalent of nV DLAA, so gap to nV could be reduced.

PS. 

Nowy projekt.png

If it’s blurry, go to settings and check out the new Anti Aliasing setting at the top. I think it’s like the second one from the top. Can’t remember the term (TAA or something)….but switch it to off. For whatever reason, mine set to on by default and I got the blurriness too. 

I know, but The point is those new AA settings.

MSAA - big performance hit, some visual inconsistencies

TAA without FSR - moderator performance boost, blurriness, ghosting 

TAA with FSR - Great performance, even more blurriness, ghosting, artifacts

On my 6700XT @1440p with just TAA I can play on high settings with almost stable 60 fps (not counting Mariannas above tree tops). But visuals are hard to swallow in comparison to MSAA, especially for moving object. 

• Like 2

7800XT @1440p here, Core i5 13500, 32 gig ddr4.

Capped at 60fps and only freesynch eneabled in adrenalin panel.

Msaa terrible performance

Taa very blurry even with image sharpening

Fsr too blurry and stutters ghosting

No fsr or aa and very smooth all round and near consistant 60fps on all maps bar syria...

I also play elite dangerous and have found fsr to be useless and cause stutters and very blurry.

Elite without fsr or any aa runs smooth as butter at consistant 60 fps.

Honestly i think these new technologies cause more harm than good but every1 to their own.

Edited by Roy35150
mispelling oops
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Roy35150 said:

7800XT @1440p here, Core i5 13500, 32 gig ddr4.

I’m considering na upgrade to 7800XT, and I’m suprised that with MSAA you have issues. I will check FPS on my side, but on 2.8 with everything on high, msaax2 and flat shadows I have stable 60 fps, apart from close to the ground over big cities.

Can do check on F16 on Syria free flight mission?

• Like 1

I made a quick comparison between MSAAx4 & TAA without FSR on 6700XT: high settings, F16, free flight mission over Syria (flying close to the city, then to 10k into clouds, then descending lower to 5k). TAA is ~15% faster and most important, minimum fps is still around 60.

bench_results.png

bench_settings.png

• Thanks 1

Not bad at all,

I play liberation solo play and with lots of units and stuff going on i just like a near consistant 60 fps if i can get it.

most of the time even with massive battles my rig keeps up and it all looks amazing.

Will keep an eye on fsr and taa as i know the devs will tweak it and whatnot.

2 hours ago, SirBenn21 said:

Thanks gents. Having the TAA enabled seems to be the worst cuprit for the ghosting and bluriness. Also it only seams to affect the aircraft. Ground and static objects are mostly un-affected.

Unfortunately this is the case usually with DLSS, TAA & FSR2. However it can be tweaked by ED and hopefully it's a WIP. I believe FAR is even worse in DCS due to the fact ED only implemented the old FSR1 with a layer of TAA applied. 

FSR2 or 3 implementation would likely fare better, and Native FSR 2/3 (100% scaling) would be a nice AA solution similar to DLAA.

• Like 1

I just leave all that crap off. In fact, I set all my MSAA and anti aliasing off. I take a big performance hit and - at least in VR- I can’t tell a bit of difference betweeen MSAA 4x and MSAA off. But I can 1.2 PD and 1.3PD, high textures vs medium or 45fps/eye and 35. Comes down to what works best for you and a lot of the new gadgets may not do much of anything for one guy but be a new experience for another 

point? I don’t feel compelled to mess with that stuff since it’s fine now and my 52 year old eyes can’t tell 

Yeah like already mentioned here, FSR 2.0 seem unpolished and as others here I also get ghosting and some of the edges seem to dont remove jaggies even with TAA enabled.  BUT helluva update! Holy crap this was a nice one! 

If you're on a pure AMD system try the RSR instead. It is an upscaler and supersampler on the driver side and it works better than FSR for me. Have NOT tested running the game vanilla on my brand spanking new 7900XTX yet tho. That's on the list for today. Thanks @Saruman for mentioning Radeon Chill. Will try that also. 7900XTX does like to be hawt. 🙂

5800x, 7900xtx, 64gb 3600mhz CL18 ram. IF = 1:1 and SAM enabled. 

Edited by Braunn

@Braunn In my case 7900XTX does not become really hot because I don't use Zero RPM and I set fan curve, so junction hottest temp in DCS is around 60 degrees, but as I said I'm CPU bound (old Intel 6700k) and I have an old 1080p 60hz monitor, so GPU workload is low anyway.

I use Radeon Chill to have between 100 and 120 FPS because I can reach over 200 fps in DCS and therefore fan noise from GPU can get a bit annoying. You know, I went for the Sapphire Pulse, because the Nitro+ costed too much more (+150 euros), and fans on Pulse are a bit noisy if they spin over 1800 RPM (at maximum 3200 RPM they are a proper tiny jet).

Back to the matter of the topic, I tried TAA but it's disappointing, whether you use it with FSR or not. Too blurry aliasing and tons of ghosting.

If you really need extra FPS and have a compatible GPU, you could take some risk and try the new frame generation tech provided by latest preview drivers from AMD (you could enable it in all games, even the ones that do not support FSR).

P.S.: I know 7900XTX is overpowered for my current build. I'm going to upgrade rest of my rig in a few months of course, I bought 7900XTX because I had a 10-years-old Nvidia 970 and decided to start upgrading by changing GPU first of all.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

@Saruman Thanks to Cairo we now have a great benchmark city. I tried Radeon Chill and it takes away too much performance for me but as you have intel cpu and a 1080p monitor we cannot really compare performance. The SAM setting really does up my performance as it opens up access to Vram for the CPU  on a big scale. Like all of it. That is a big deal if your AMD cpu is not top tier like my 5800x. There are benefits of going all AMD. 

That sets me up now, on watercooling, for a hotspot of 95C while GPU overall is about 55C. 

No upscaler over Cairo with all settings max nets 50FPS on a 4K monitor. RSR enabled it stays at 58-60FPS if I don't look to the sides, then it drops to a small slide show at 50fps again. 100k pre rendering. ALL 24gb used and also 34-36gb system ram utilized.  Going from a 6800XT to a 7900XTX was a big upgrade. I can't imagine how bored your 7900XTX must be with a 6700K and 1080p. 

3 hours ago, Braunn said:

@Saruman Thanks to Cairo we now have a great benchmark city. I tried Radeon Chill and it takes away too much performance for me but as you have intel cpu and a 1080p monitor we cannot really compare performance. The SAM setting really does up my performance as it opens up access to Vram for the CPU  on a big scale. Like all of it. That is a big deal if your AMD cpu is not top tier like my 5800x. There are benefits of going all AMD. 

That sets me up now, on watercooling, for a hotspot of 95C while GPU overall is about 55C. 

No upscaler over Cairo with all settings max nets 50FPS on a 4K monitor. RSR enabled it stays at 58-60FPS if I don't look to the sides, then it drops to a small slide show at 50fps again. 100k pre rendering. ALL 24gb used and also 34-36gb system ram utilized.  Going from a 6800XT to a 7900XTX was a big upgrade. I can't imagine how bored your 7900XTX must be with a 6700K and 1080p. 

You know you can set upp Chill as you like tegarding min/max fps?