About new 2.9 Mi-8 sounds...

Go to solution Solved by btd,

Looks like one of the 2.9 changes not mentioned in the log are new sounds for the Hip. They're cool, although somewhat more quiet compared to previous ones.

Just wondering - were they simply adopted from Mi-24 module or re-recorded? I don't own Hind, so can't compare. Could anyone who owns it comment?

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I just noticed with great pleasure that ED has improved the Mi-8 sounds.

Awesome. Now the feeling of piloting a big old bird is even more awesome. You guys have done a great job.

Together with the new downwash effects, a whole new immersion feeling comes across.

• Like 1

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Art-J:

Looks like one of the 2.9 changes not mentioned in the log are new sounds for the Hip. They're cool, although somewhat more quiet compared to previous ones.

Just wondering - were they simply adopted from Mi-24 module or re-recorded? I don't own Hind, so can't compare. Could anyone who owns it comment?

It is not simple adopted. The sound of the Mi24 alone is worth flying it. There is someone at work who really deals with the subject.

• Like 1

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

I was about to put in a bug report regarding the sounds.  This is definitely not an improvement.   It essentially sounds like there was a high pass filter put over the sounds.  So much so, I had to double check that the “hear like in helmet” option wasn’t flipped on.  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.  The APU sound sounds as if all high and mid frequencies were completely removed, similarly on the two turbines and transmission sounds.   

The sticky thread regarding the Mi8 module’s sound design explains the length ED went through to capture the sounds of this helicopter as authentically as possible.  It was already reference level material, and needed no improvements as it was.    I’m hoping it gets returned to normal quickly!

• Like 1

I am assuming that it is a work in progress, especially since it wasn't even present in the changelog. So right now it does end up funky with the mix of old and new sounds. Though one cool aspect added is that you can hear the igniters crackling during engine startup now.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2023 at 3:35 PM, btd said:

Dear all, I have to say that work on the mi-8 sounds is still in progress. Something has already got into the update, but it is not the final version. We are working on it. Please wait for new updates

Thanks! 

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

ETL and loaded rotor changed for sure. I‘m not a big fan of the latter though, it sounds as if it belongs to a completely different (much smaller) chopper. The ETL is ok, but it was ok before, too. Not quite sure how I feel about the update altogether 🙃

(*in its current state. In case it is still wip)

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I still think sounds were ok before, but the new sound interpretation is artfully done.  It’s a little less “clinical” now, in a good way.   The sounds with the windows open as you start up really lets you know those turbines are sucking air a few feet from your head.  You need to close the windows it’s so loud!  That’s awesome!  The balance of the turbine/transmission sounds are believable.  ETL transitions, also different, but seems to match up with videos I’ve seen (although the old sounds could be heard in vids as well).  

Regarding the blade-slap sound when blade pitch is flattened, I love it.  I’ve heard these sounds in some cockpit vids, but they don’t seem to come up often.   Maybe because most pilots would rather not unload the disc that much during most flights?  But I think it adds so much to the sound experience of this great module.  

I’m not sure if ED is done tweaking the sounds yet, but I’m enjoying it now that it’s more fleshed out.  I judged the first iteration harshly not knowing it was not complete.   And while the new sounds are definitely different (and in my opinion did not need changing), they are still believable, and they add to immersion with the raw/loud character it has now.  

Oh, I almost forgot, but the new tail rotor sounds on external view are spectacular as well!

edit: reference 1:46 in vid below for the blade-slap sounds.   To my ear, it seems ED have  captured the character of the sound.

In this video, it can be heard around the 1:00 minute  4:00 minute and 6 minute marks

And here starting at 11:00 min mark.   Actually, this video also capture the tailrotor sound shortly after the 11 minute mark:  The taiorotor sound also seems to be coming through clearly shortly after they land

Edited by Cgjunk2

Although all these new subtle details are welcomed of course, there's one major thing that concerns me - audible blade flap frequency is too high! As if we had a helicopter with more blades in  main rotor, or diameter of it was lower (and thus RPM higher). The videos above do seem to confirm it to my ear, but let's take more scientific approach.

One can already notice the issue using time deceleration to 1/8 and seeing that sound is out of phase with rotor movement (sound is faster). It's easier to do it in F2 external view. Actually, using stopwatch and counting the audible blade "chops" we can calculate their frequency as 2.5 per second when slowed down, which is 20 per second in real time, which in turn for a 5-blade rotor means 240 RPM.

The problem is - real Mi-8 rotor at 95% setting rotates at 192 RPM (that would be 16 "chops" per second), maybe getting closer to 200 at full takeoff power, but certainly not higher.

Incidentally, I've found that the smaller diameter Mi-24 rotor speed is 240 RPM in cruise, which leades me to assumption that these new Mi-8 sounds are conversion of Mi-24 ones, which is obviously not quite correct given the hefty RPM differences between both helicopters. I don't own Mi-24 module so can't compare.

@btd Can you please comment?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

@Art-J Did you notice a reduction in blade flap frequency by reducing the rotor rpm trim?  If the sound is linked to the rpm (but correlated incorrectly) then hopefully it would be an easy bug fix.  Awesome sleuthing by the way!  

I had a blast on a relaxing cross country flight today, and absolutely had a blast getting the main and tail rotors to bark.   Love it.   It’s worth the effort to get it perfectly right (even though my ear didn’t pick up on much difference).  

Edited by Cgjunk2

Cool!

@Art-J put much more thought in it and phrased it much better, but that is exactly what irritated me with the new sound engine.

Much appreciated, if it gets reviewed!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"