Altimeter seems incorrect

CaptJackG

While sitting on the ground in Hawkinge with Qnh of 1013 hPa the altimeter reads 0'.  Should be 524' for field elevation. Setting the Qfe of 994 hPa to read 0' at the field the altimeter reads 554'. Going to have a good trounce with my crew chief. Cheerio.

Screen_231023_220443.png

Screen_231023_220406.png

Edited by CaptJackG

Contrary to what one might think about "seriousness" of DCS, I'd bet there are many more players who just fire up their engines and fly to do pew-pew and dakka-dakka ;). We noticed 2.9 boost gauge bug quicker because that one is actually much more important.

But yeah, I can confirm the kollsman window bug. I remember reading that Channel map used to have some weird ambient pressure issues (not sure if it stll does), so I tried good ole Caucasus. Screens below show readings taken at Vaziani. Pressure set to QFE (~ 974 hPa) yields approximate field elevation (~1540 ft) instead of zero.

Screen_231026_173533.jpg

Screen_231026_173555.jpg

Screen_231026_173626.jpg

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

@Art-J Since you mentioned boost gauge bug, i am aware that @NineLine said that bug is reported and he closed the topic but i am not sure what does that mean, does it mean that they fix this by reverting to old boost gage range or they redone needle logic for new 16lbs scale ?

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

^ Yeah, i saw it. My guess is a good as yours, unfortunately, but it's good to see it reported quickly at least.

Since more knowledgeable guys say the 2.9 gauge face is for older gauge model which should not be there on Merlin-66 plane in the first place, I hope they'll give the gfx artist a task of drawing a new texture with old scale. That would do the trick. Texture job should be easier and faster than coding job (for needle movement) anyway, but that's just my speculation.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Does this

13 hours ago, Art-J said:

Contrary to what one might think about "seriousness" of DCS, I'd bet there are many more players who just fire up their engines and fly to do pew-pew and dakka-dakka ;). We noticed 2.9 boost gauge bug quicker because that one is actually much more important.

But yeah, I can confirm the kollsman window bug. I remember reading that Channel map used to have some weird ambient pressure issues (not sure if it stll does), so I tried good ole Caucasus. Screens below show readings taken at Vaziani. Pressure set to QFE (~ 974 hPa) yields approximate field elevation (~1540 ft) instead of zero.

Screen_231026_173533.jpg

Screen_231026_173555.jpg

Screen_231026_173626.jpg

So what's labelled as QFE in the briefing is actually QNH? Or is this just a Spitfire-ism?

We've known for ages that on Normandy 1 and 2 the altimeter value on spawn seems as if it's wound all the way to one extreme of the scale. I assumed that was intended behaviour to simulate setting up the cockpit for the first flight of the day, but in light of this perhaps that's not true.

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

Nah, the QNH vs QFE is currently Spitfire-only issue. Quite possibly introduced with 2.9, but I haven't flown the plane in 2.8 all that often to recall how its altimeter worked then.

The altimeters in other Allied planes work correctly and according to briefing window, haven't tested German ones.

The instrument being wound to extreme is a separate thing, a feature rather than an issue from my point of view. It's always been the case across all maps really, but that's more of a "DCS'ism" in general, with some warbirds always spawning calibrated to QFE and the other always calibrated to God knows what.

Edited by Art-J

Always been something a bit strange with the kollsman window readings and altimeter value.

Used to think I was setting it incorrectly but soon realised the settings were not matching up as they should.

Guess it's on the list of things to do, but not urgent.

When in doubt a large, violent crashing sound will tell you when you've reached QFE.🙃

Good luck with this bug. I reported an altimeter setting bug for the K4 about 8 years ago. After only 6 years it was acknowledged, but...

I updated from 2.8.8 to 2.9 today. But before that I made a few screenshots. Altimeter setting on the Spitfire was ok on 2.8.8(Caucasus, QNH 2992/1013).

Interestingly the scaling direction also changed with 2.9.

2.8.8 QNH 1013 Caucasus 74ft Elevation, check scale and scale direction 1000 -> 1020

Spitfire 2.8.8.jpg

2.9(latest) QNH 1013 Caucasus 74ft elev., altimeter set to 74ft results in 992 setting, check scale direction now 1000 -> 980

Spitfire 2.9_74ft.jpg

2.9(latest) QNH 1013 Caucasus 74ft elev., altimeter set to 1013hPa ->approx. 550ft below elevation

Spitfire 2.9_1013.jpg

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Uh, so the kollsman scale is different and reversed in 2.9 compared to 2.8 then. Nice catch and quite important one!

Could it be the case of yet another different version instrument modelled (or rather textured), just like in case of boost gauge? So maybe in a similar fasion, the coded window rotation logic is OK, but it just doesn't match the new (reversed) texture?

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

Upon taking a second look It seems to be just a texture problem indeed, similar to boost gauge one. @NineLine since the latter has been reported, could you please highlight this new issue as well? Maybe the gfx artist will fix both together while he's at it. The instrument animaton logic is the same as it was in 2.8, but kollsman scale texture (apart from being divided somewhat different) is just reversed in 2.9, which results in incorrect operation of the instrument:

a) In 2.8 rotating the knob CW rotated kollsman scale CW - towards higher reference pressures (scale increased to the right), which corresponded to CW rotation of altimeter needles as expected (higher airfield elevation above MSL).

b) In 2.9 rotating the knob CW also rotates kollsman scale CW - but towards lower reference pressures (scale increases to the left now), which combined with CW rotation of altimeter needles causes incorrect, reversed operation of the instrument (lowering reference pressure cannot cause higher airfiel elevation above MSL).

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team
On 10/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, Art-J said:

Upon taking a second look It seems to be just a texture problem indeed, similar to boost gauge one. @NineLine since the latter has been reported, could you please highlight this new issue as well? Maybe the gfx artist will fix both together while he's at it. The instrument animaton logic is the same as it was in 2.8, but kollsman scale texture (apart from being divided somewhat different) is just reversed in 2.9, which results in incorrect operation of the instrument:

a) In 2.8 rotating the knob CW rotated kollsman scale CW - towards higher reference pressures (scale increased to the right), which corresponded to CW rotation of altimeter needles as expected (higher airfield elevation above MSL).

b) In 2.9 rotating the knob CW also rotates kollsman scale CW - but towards lower reference pressures (scale increases to the left now), which combined with CW rotation of altimeter needles causes incorrect, reversed operation of the instrument (lowering reference pressure cannot cause higher airfiel elevation above MSL).

Sorry I missed this will take a look at it today. Thanks.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png