Intel hybrid CPU Getting stutter? Please try this in multithreading DCS

• ED Team

Hi all, 

we have been looking into the stutter issue some users are seeing, as you may be aware unparking CPU cores has helped many but this is not a ideal solution for end users. 

Please try the lua file below and give us some feedback. 

mt.lua

place in saved games\DCS\Config folder

this should unbind the render thread from the highest performing core. 

Based on the feedback we get we could make this default for some CPU's 

thank you

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I recently experienced some issues that may or may not be related to this. 

I'm running a 5900X - so no e-/p-core stuff going on, but I sometimes have regular frametime spikes (cpu-bound) on a solo flight. Single player, 2D, MT, no other aircraft in sight. 

The frametime diagramm looks like a elektro cardio diagramm with a massive ft-spike every second or so. The average fps is still ~120, but the 1% lows are 10 fps (ten). Needless to say, that makes a pretty stuttery experience, regardless of the average FPS.

This issue can sometimes be solved by waiting (after a couple of minutes it sorts itself out) or by rebooting.

I wonder if that is related (cpu-scheduling?) or something completely different.

Edit: of course, I'm going to try the above .lua - even if it isn't specificly tailored to my problem.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

21 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I'm running a 5900X - so no e-/p-core stuff going on, but I sometimes have regular frametime spikes (cpu-bound) on a solo flight. Single player, 2D, MT, no other aircraft in sight. 

The frametime diagramm looks like a elektro cardio diagramm with a massive ft-spike every second or so. The average fps is still ~120, but the 1% lows are 10 fps (ten). Needless to say, that makes a pretty stuttery experience, regardless of the average FPS.

This issue can sometimes be solved by waiting (after a couple of minutes it sorts itself out) or by rebooting.

I wonder if that is related (cpu-scheduling?) or something completely different.

Edit: of course, I'm going to try the above .lua - even if it isn't specificly tailored to my problem.

You tried locking DCS to only running on one CCD? Might be worth a shot as well.

Edited by MoleUK

@BIGNEWY Intel 12th gen and up require Windows 11 to unpark their cores. Have recently 'solved' this issue by myself and with a bit of research found the answer.

I did try to unpark cores in windows 10 but for newer Intel this does not work as windows 10 can't handle the P/E core stuff and even by trying to force the cores to unpark, it simply will not.

This is where Windows 11 comes in as it is more optimized for the P/E cores and will have them all unparked and fix the issue for those that are on windows 10 or lower.

Edited by Bouwplan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bouwplan said:

@BIGNEWY Intel 12th gen and up require Windows 11 to unpark their cores. Have recently 'solved' this issue by myself and with a bit of research found the answer.

I did try to unpark cores in windows 10 but for newer Intel this does not work as windows 10 can't handle the P/E core stuff and even by trying to force the cores to unpark, it simply will not.

This is where Windows 11 comes in as it is more optimized for the P/E cores and will have them all unparked and fix the issue for those that are on windows 10 or lower.

This should NOT be the case. The thread scheduler for Windows 11 exists and should fully work in Windows 10 as well. In fact this was patched in by Microsoft soon after the 12th gen Intel CPUs were released. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This should NOT be the case. The thread scheduler for Windows 11 exists and should fully work in Windows 10 as well. In fact this was patched in by Microsoft soon after the 12th gen Intel CPUs were released. 

Yeah, so yell at Microsoft, but you need win11 these days. Its hardwired in Win10. I already tried all the options that were out there to unpark my 13700k (RegEdit, power management and software).

Tried the MT Lua.  No joy.  Fact is I lost dcs.logthe new UI for MT.  cant set DLSS etc.   Win 10, I9-12900k

Please Disregard -- I forgot I went back to 2.8.7 .   Senior Moment

Edited by NIGHTHAWK1
  • Like 1

I-9 12900K, RTX 3090, 64 GB, 2TB SSD, Oculus Quest 2, Win 11, Winwing Orion F-16EX Stick, F-18 dual throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals.

Just tried the Lua file and can confirm that the problem was solved for me (intel 12700). No constant "saw teeth" stutters like the ones I was getting before trying the file. Only stutters I'm getting are the expectable ones on a maxed out 3070. 

I'll report after further use if the problem stays solved. 

Thanks!

Edited by raven06a
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, raven06a said:

Just tried the Lua file and can confirm that the problem was solved for me (intel 12700). No constant "saw teeth" stutters like the ones I was getting before trying the file. Only stutters I'm getting are the expectable ones on a maxed out 3070. 

I'll report after further use if the problem stays solved. 

Thanks!

thank you for the quick feedback. 

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Now I have forced all unparked cores (and the issue isnt present), will back my settings to default and I’ll check this Lua file. Thanks for your work!

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Just tried the Mt.LUA file and it caused an increase in stuttering.

Details below

12900k, RTX4080, 64gigs, Quest3 @ 4800x2600 in link app

No Mods

MT 2.9

No OpenXR apps or hacks

As VR vanilla as can get

My normal method for launching DCS 2.9 MT, which gives me the best experience is to simply launch DCS and as soon as the app loads and before I put on my HMD, I simply open task manager and disable core #8 for DCS in Affinity mask.  I simply leave it disabled for the rest of the session.

When I tried the MT.Lua file, I placed the file in to SavedGames/DCS/Config and launched DCS as I normally do, but without disabling core #8 to see if the MT.Lua file fixes the need to disable that core.   Upon putting my HMD on the menus looked normal.  I loaded a simple mission in Nevada with an F16C airstart over Creech looking towards the Vegas area.  When the mission loaded and I was sitting in the pit, I got a big long pause with a rotating hourglass.  This is typically what I see if I do not disable core#8.  So I alt tabbed out of DCS, opened task manager and disabled core#8.  Went back in to DCS and did some simple aileron rolls while looking out the side of the canopy, which method I use to show the highest degree of stuttering as the Nevada landscape scrolls around my view.  I noticed a definitive increase in stuttering both consistently and intensively.   I closed DCS, removed the MT.Lua file from savedgames/dcs/config and restarted DCS, disabled core#8 and loaded the same mission to confirm that performance should be better.   Upon mission load, I noticed that I had no Hotas control on my throttle.  Took HMD off and noticed I had no status lights on my throttle.  Restarted throttle by Powe cycling my throttle via unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable.  Went back in game and confirmed that performance and stuttering was similar to baseline before trying MT.Lua.

I have never lost my Hotas before, especially without restarting my computer.  I assume this was simply a coincidence and not related to the use of MT.Lua.   

If ED could use more info from me such as logs, or track files then just reach out, I am here to help if I can.

Cheers

Edited by Buzz313th
  • Thanks 2
  • Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps

I've tried this hotfix even that I'm on AMD 5800x3d (64gb+4090, Win11), and I see positive results.

I've tested it in the same environment and with this file I see that not only the first core is loaded at 100% which was the case before, but load is spreed across other cores. Also, there is less frame time fluctuation and slightly more fps.

Edited by Bazz_Mulder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kowalsky

- "Fox 3" means that you have commitment issues

• ED Team

We appreciate the feedback, keep it coming and let us know what cpu you are using. 

thank you

• Like 2

8th and 10th core 100% (13900K), rest was sleeping however Id like to have to test more longer and during the play.

Bez tytułu.jpg

I would also like to remind everyone that this problem did not always appear. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's not, so after one run of DCS you can't simply conclude that everything is ok and problem gone. Test this new lua for a few days, if it doesn't appear, maybe it's ok, if the problem appears, it's not a solution.

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

4 hours ago, Hiob said:

Also on a 5900x and see similar issues even in single player, also strange graphical artifacts like it goes overcast or one of the new tints gets applied for a while. I will try the mt.lua thing later to see how that goes.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 5900X, AMD 6700XT, 64GB DDR4, WD SN850X. Samsung Odyssey G5 34”, or an Oculus Rift S.

Eagerly Anticipating: OH-58, Eurofighter Typhoon, C-130, Chinook

Question to @BIGNEWY.

Considering that some users have reported inconsistent performance results across different sessions under the same settings.  Is it possible that the team is using some sort of AI learning to manage the CPU cores and other system resources for best performance?

• Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps

5 hours ago, Hiob said:

Ok, I tried the .lua. Since my issue was on/off and not persistent, I can't really tell if it is gone for good. From initial testing, the ft-spikes didn't show up. I don't see much of a difference though. Load spread across the cores seems to be similar to before. If anything the 1%-lows might me a bit better than before. But that could very well be just confirmation bias.

Nope, sorry - scrap that. The spikes returned the same way as before. No difference. On the third try I had the stutters again with the same 10 fps lows (=100ms ft-spikes). 5900X.

Edited by Hiob
  • Thanks 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"