Engine stops during start-up process

DD_Friar

Salute,

Apologies if this is known issue or logged elsewhere (I did look first, "pinky promise" 🙂 )

Only just recently purchased the Mossie (been flying the IL2 version for years) but have had excellent coaching from guys in my squad that have had the bird for a while and know how to fly it. Amazingly, I have been able to keep it straight on take off (my technique is to feed throttle in gently and have the left engine leading the right as well as the various trim settings that I am sure you all know), anyway that is not why I am posting.

In each session I play I always seem to get a least once a left or right engine fail to start. I am using the start assist process, not doing it myself. That may come, but just not yet.

I am advancing my throttle a bit during the process but can not hand on heart say I can guarantee to get both engines running every time.

Is there a trick I and my squad mates are missing (even though it is the automated start process we are using)?

Many thanks and regards

DD_Friar

Visit the Dangerdogz at www.dangerdogz.com. We are a group based on having fun (no command structure, no expectations of attendance, no formal skills required, that is not to say we can not get serious for special events, of which we have many). We play DCS and IL2 GBS. We have two groups one based in North America / Canada and one UK / Europe. Come check us out. 

Maybe you open the throttle a little too much, or too little? 

Maybe there is some randomness built into the engines that interfere with the automatic startup? 

But if you want a 100% success rate, start them yourself. It's only 6 clicks per engine, very easy to start and remember. 

• Thanks 1

If you have switches mapped to your hotas it may be a case that you turn off fuel or pulling cut outs by mistake especially if you have this checked ON

V23g1Zv.png

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Sometimes I’ll lose an engine just as I’m rolling to the runway. Sometimes just as I power up to take-off. I don’t know if it’s a randomised engine failure or something I’m doing? I try not to overdo the revs straight after startup and let the engine temps warm a little. Still happens now and then.

Well done on sorting out the take-off. I always cold start so can’t tell if it’s something to do with that. It might be the Mossies way of niggling at you to learn your way around and get familiar with her. Have a little chat, get to know her a bit. Make her laugh, ply her with fine wines and maybe give her a song or two? Show her some of the landmarks on the map, places of interest, make her a promise or two.

Hope this helps. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slippa said:

Sometimes I’ll lose an engine just as I’m rolling to the runway. Sometimes just as I power up to take-off. I don’t know if it’s a randomised engine failure or something I’m doing?

I have never experienced any of this. Are you sure you are not having random failures enabled?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

I have never experienced any of this. Are you sure you are not having random failures enabled?

Never? I’ve had it happen probably a hundred times. Multiplayer server so I don’t know how they have it set up. Generally don’t have as many problems in SP.

ETA: I’ve had the Spit and Pony engine die on me too for no apparent reason. Pony runs up badly sometimes so I can taxi out fine but when I throttle up for take off it’s gutless and I’m barely travelling. RPMs die back and the engine fails then I can’t always restart it. It’s either repair or grab another slot.

Edited by Slippa
Spit & Pony too.
  • Thanks 1

No, never, neither in the Mosquito, nor the Spitfire or Mustang.

And you don't have random failures enabled either in your game settings?

Otherwise I suggest uploading some short tracks to see if it's random failures or you doing something wrong.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps for the replies.

We do not have random failures enabled so can rule that out.

I am using an X56 with split throttles to control the revs. The rpm are bound to the same key for both engines. (a toggle on the X56 throttle). May be I over rev an engine once it has started which then kills it...

I will try and remember to record a track next time, and of course we all know what is going to happen...100% full start every time. Forget to do the track and it will fail...its like they know what we are doing...

• Like 1

Visit the Dangerdogz at www.dangerdogz.com. We are a group based on having fun (no command structure, no expectations of attendance, no formal skills required, that is not to say we can not get serious for special events, of which we have many). We play DCS and IL2 GBS. We have two groups one based in North America / Canada and one UK / Europe. Come check us out. 

5 hours ago, razo+r said:

you don't have random failures enabled either in your game settings?

Otherwise I suggest uploading some short tracks to see if it's random failures or you doing something wrong.

I just checked hoping I had random failures set but I hadn't. I'll see what happens. Like Friar says, sods law if I threaten it with saving a track it'll behave. Amazed you've never had it at all. Lucky you. Haven't had it happen in the Jug so far but imagine going through all that, warming it up and then watching it plop out when lining up. It isn't funny even in a Spit.

Edited by Slippa

Never experienced anything like that in any DCS warbird either (unless proper warm up was not done), but I only do singleplayer I admit.

I do recall, however, that MP server settings override your own, so who knows what the admins have prepared for you.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I’ve seen the mentioned Pony issue a couple of times, turned out the user hadn’t set mags to both. It sounds like the autostart process is skipping some switches. I would check magnetos and the fuel pressure cock thingy that sits above the cutouts. 

If you are using "assisted" or "auto" start, do not touch anything until after the engines are idling at 1200rpm (the warmup part of auto-start). The auto-start sets the throttle to the correct position, if you are then moving the throttle you may be placing it in the wrong position.

@jonsky7

If the auto start process advances the throttle and my physical throttle is at idle, will that not mean that they are out of sync. The ones in the plane will always be in advance of mine?