Patch Notes discussion December 2023

BIGNEWY

2 hours ago, rob10 said:

Assuming they keep both ST and MT for at least a little while longer, I can't imagine that anything will change from current way it works.  There is a ST and MT BIN folders.  The default icon is now directed to the MT and if you want ST you have to launch it from the ST .exe (either directly or via an icon you create that's pointed at it).  The only "unification" is the fact that there will no longer be a "stable" version that's just the current OB version when it 1st goes to stable and by default is a previous OB version when the next OB's are released.  They are literally the same thing.  There are not 2 different forks or anything, Stable is literally (except when they were on same build) an older version of the OB build.

I haven't checked since the last couple of patches, but the icon does not launch MT for me. I am running the Steam version. I have had to launch DCS from the Steam (with MT preview set) client in order for it to start in MT. I even tried creating a desktop shortcut of the exe from the bin-mt folder and it would still launch the ST version. Again, this may be fixed now but it was a know bug with the Steam version. I will try it in a little bit to see if this is resolved. 

7 minutes ago, Zebra1-1 said:

I haven't checked since the last couple of patches, but the icon does not launch MT for me. I am running the Steam version. I have had to launch DCS from the Steam (with MT preview set) client in order for it to start in MT. I even tried creating a desktop shortcut of the exe from the bin-mt folder and it would still launch the ST version. Again, this may be fixed now but it was a know bug with the Steam version. I will try it in a little bit to see if this is resolved. 

Steam is a different beast and I don't use it, so I can't comment on exactly launching works from there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zebra1-1 said:

Nope. Desktop icon (default) and the launcher from the bin-mt folder still launches ST.

Also created a new shortcut from the Steam client and this too still launches ST.

Edited by Zebra1-1

3 hours ago, Zebra1-1 said:

Desktop icon (default) and the launcher from the bin-mt folder still launches ST.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The unified update has not even landed yet and just look how every one is so confused with the options of how to start the Simulation even now .

It needs to be a single icon click DCS and play thats it .

Put DCS on a Diet for a little while for testing the new unified version .

Place all user created mods in a backup folder while the whole community can test the new unified version.

That way faults in the code can be traced without any people having mods in the Simulation.

To me that makes sense as usually the first reply to a problem is remove all user mods .

Just get the community to test the unified code for a little while and see the feedback.

I will crawl back to my tunnel now. 

• ED Team

We understand the confusion for some, some are confusing the change with the unified version with multithreading work. 

The unified version is simply moving away from a stable and open beta version to one public version for all. 

Multithreading is a different task and not related to the unified version. We know many would like us to remove single threading DCS, however Multithreading is still optional currently while we tweak it, once we are as happy as we can be single threaded DCS will be removed and multithreading will be the only option, I do not have a ETA for this however. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks BIGNEWY

I understand now with your nice clear answer.

I was just worried that the Steam Locomotive animation is still Broken in the MT version but its cool.

The Unified version is a good move with an MT option to have a look sometimes to see how the MT bug fixes are progressing.

Cheers steve

How will people on open beta transition to unified version?

1.Do we need to uninstall open beta, instal new unified version from scratch?

2.Or there will be some sort of automation that changes folder names from open beta to DCS World?

3,What about other apps like voice attack, tac view - that are linked to open beta folder?  

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

• ED Team
15 minutes ago, hreich said:

How will people on open beta transition to unified version?

1.Do we need to uninstall open beta, instal new unified version from scratch?

2.Or there will be some sort of automation that changes folder names from open beta to DCS World?

3,What about other apps like voice attack, tac view - that are linked to open beta folder?  

you dont need to do anything different, it will be a seamless update for you. 

When we are ready to patch you just update as usual. 

No changes in your folders

your tools wont be affected. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If a player has an Open Beta install AND a stable install, I take it they would just update the Open beta and then could delete the old stable install?

Visit the Dangerdogz at www.dangerdogz.com. We are a group based on having fun (no command structure, no expectations of attendance, no formal skills required, that is not to say we can not get serious for special events, of which we have many). We play DCS and IL2 GBS. We have two groups one based in North America / Canada and one UK / Europe. Come check us out. 

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, DD_Friar said:

If a player has an Open Beta install AND a stable install, I take it they would just update the Open beta and then could delete the old stable install?

it would update both if you used the updater on each of them, but you will only need one. 
My advice would be to remove the open beta version when the time comes if you have both installed currently, this will save disk space. 

• Like 2

BIGNEWY said:

My advice would be to remove the open beta when the time comes if you have both installed currently, it will save disk space.

Me: why delete the OpenBeta version rather than the Stable version?
is there a special reason?

5 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

There's no difference which one you update or remove. You can also continue to use any previous version without updating if you don't care for MP and updates. You can keep using 2 different versions.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• ED Team
14 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

It does not really matter, in the long run new instals of DCS downloaded will use a unified version and a DCS saved games folder, Open beta currently uses DCS.openbeta in saved games. it may confuse some, but eventually this wont be a problem. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HiJack said:

ED should make one more button on the "update" process window to select "Stay on current version" or maybe a "Rollback to previous version" when unifying.

It doesn't make sense. If the launcher asks you to update, you can select No.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DD_Friar said:

19 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

it would update both if you used the updater on each of them, but you will only need one. 
My advice would be to remove the open beta version when the time comes if you have both installed currently, this will save disk space. 

I think this is where most of the confusion lies. Most people, if not everyone, knows that the Stable version is just an older OB. Part of the confusion (at least for me) is also that I didn't realize MT was also available in the Stable release. I thought it was exclusive to OB as a "preview" ("preview" itself implying Beta). 

I'm, sure ED will provide the necessary documentation and clarify everything when the time comes though.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:53 PM, Zebra1-1 said:

On 2/5/2024 at 7:03 PM, Zebra1-1 said:

Nope. Desktop icon (default) and the launcher from the bin-mt folder still launches ST.

Also created a new shortcut from the Steam client and this too still launches ST.

Something else worth adding is that Multithreading has OpenXR enabled by default. Which is a good thing. But the last time I did a file verification with Steam, it broke OpenXR with OpenComposite. So now DCS doesn't launch in VR with ST anymore. I could go fix it, but I never play in ST.  

@Zebra1-1 DCS doesn't need OpenComposite anymore. OpenXR is natively supported since a 2023. Why do you need "documentation" to click Yes when the update is ready?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/709/#1883673

• Thanks 1

New DCS users on Steam must be pulling their hair out reading all these comments and advice .

I am on steam and I have never used the DCS updater i do not know anything about it should I ?

People saying there is a button update yes or no ?

Steam just makes you update if you choose to play or not update and so not play.

I am sure it will just be a case of just let steam update DCS and it will all be fine .

I have never had a problem with a steam DCS update.

it sure makes your head spin .

• ED Team

I would give steam users more credit, they know they don't use the updater and they update via steams delivery system. 

It really isn't complicated, everyone no matter what version they use just have to update when the patch is released. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waterman said:

Steam just makes you update if you choose to play or not update and so not play.

Like every other Steam game DCS probably has the option to update automatically or just let us know there is update available. Steam Library > DCS > properties

Edit: No, Steam DCS update cannot be skipped, thx @waterman

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, draconus said:

Like every other Steam game DCS probably has the option to update automatically or just let us know there is update available. Steam Library > DCS > properties

Edit: No, Steam DCS update cannot be skipped, thx @waterman

Cheers 

On 2/7/2024 at 11:35 PM, draconus said:

@Zebra1-1 DCS doesn't need OpenComposite anymore. OpenXR is natively supported since a 2023. Why do you need "documentation" to click Yes when the update is ready?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/709/#1883673

I think you misunderstood.

Yes, OpenXR is natively supported. But it is only enabled with MT.

I don't need documentation to click "Yes" (not how it works with Steam), I just meant that documentation/release notes will provide clarity for those that have both OB and Stable installed.