HB needs to fix the TF-30 sound for the F-14A

DarkJedi_7

Sounds pretty good to me, I'll try that one out.

• Like 1

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

Maybe change the title to "I personally prefer the TF-30s to sound more like it does on the Youtube", which is fine and fair.

Then others can look at it and go: "Yo man, power to you, nice job on the audio re-tune, but I prefer to go with the guys that have high quality archive audio of the real jet."

Just seems like a more pleasant basis for interaction to me, idk.

Edited by Noctrach
  • Like 8

The TF30's on most youtube videos are sourced from VHS LP Tapes, If you prefer that, goto your audio control panel in windows and cut the audio freq. to sub 24Khz sample rate.

• Like 7

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Not just VHS LP. Also cheap built in VHS camera omnidirectional mic clipped into the plastic case of the camera. 

Even Top Gun isn’t 100% accurate as the masters were compressed to work on 35mm optical audio track. 

If there’s ever a Criterion super restored remaster, then it might be right, for the few shots that weren’t filmed silent with a separate audio track in post. (Or that weren’t the RC planes).

I experienced them in person at airshows in the 90’s. Granted from airshow stands distance, and Heatblur has it mostly right, except where your speakers can’t physically abuse the air the way Zone 5 AB does in the real world. It’s a full body experience then. 

• Like 3

It seems that some changes are planned 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

23 hours ago, RustBelt said:

Not just VHS LP. Also cheap built in VHS camera omnidirectional mic clipped into the plastic case of the camera. 

Even Top Gun isn’t 100% accurate as the masters were compressed to work on 35mm optical audio track. 

If there’s ever a Criterion super restored remaster, then it might be right, for the few shots that weren’t filmed silent with a separate audio track in post. (Or that weren’t the RC planes).

I experienced them in person at airshows in the 90’s. Granted from airshow stands distance, and Heatblur has it mostly right, except where your speakers can’t physically abuse the air the way Zone 5 AB does in the real world. It’s a full body experience then. 

Heatblur have done an amazing job on the F-14, just would like to know why HB went with the JT8D/J79 sample instead of a TF-30 at idle.  

Ohhh, MiniDV cam microphones are about 10mm diameter, the fact that you hear crackling and static the entire time, the microphone is clearly not capable.

I dont think users understand what type of microphone is needed to get clear sounds from a jet engine.

Shoot, when we were recording audio samples for Forza, (cars), we had to have 4 different types of mics to record engine sounds, turbo sounds, exhaust sounds, and transmission sounds alone.

A Jet engine, you need a mic that can handle high dB, as well as High Freq. Range, but also need attachments to block wind / air movement noise, etc.

Also, good luck getting a F-14A or B to get modern sound equipment near those engines.

90% of the developers use the same audio source (NASA has Both PWTF30 and GEF110 audio files recorded), and just re-filter/adjust the frequency to tweak the output.

However even though they were recorded with decent mics, they were recorded in an enclosed room / hanger, so there is sufficient reverb noise.

On 1/21/2024 at 3:54 PM, RustBelt said:

this is where LFE comes in,

We need to wear vests with radial rumbles in it, so when ABs light, the LFE is translated to the vest rumble simulating chest cavity rumble. 🙂

• Like 4

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

12 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Ohhh, MiniDV cam microphones are about 10mm diameter, the fact that you hear crackling and static the entire time, the microphone is clearly not capable.

I dont think users understand what type of microphone is needed to get clear sounds from a jet engine.

Shoot, when we were recording audio samples for Forza, (cars), we had to have 4 different types of mics to record engine sounds, turbo sounds, exhaust sounds, and transmission sounds alone.

A Jet engine, you need a mic that can handle high dB, as well as High Freq. Range, but also need attachments to block wind / air movement noise, etc.

Also, good luck getting a F-14A or B to get modern sound equipment near those engines.

90% of the developers use the same audio source (NASA has Both PWTF30 and GEF110 audio files recorded), and just re-filter/adjust the frequency to tweak the output.

However even though they were recorded with decent mics, they were recorded in an enclosed room / hanger, so there is sufficient reverb noise.

this is where LFE comes in,

We need to wear vests with radial rumbles in it, so when ABs light, the LFE is translated to the vest rumble simulating chest cavity rumble. 🙂

Yea I remember Top Gear once posted their whole audio kit and it was some very specific and pricey microphones to get good sound. 

Also vests don’t even do it. The air is so energetic it makes a standing wave in your ear canal. You hear it with your sinuses and eyeballs. 

Edited by RustBelt
  • Like 1

Still planning to do a major overhaul of the F-14 engine sounds after coming up with some new tricks and learning some things after doing the F-4 sounds. Just been super busy with day job and real life stuff....but it's not forgotten. Also the sound sample we used for the TF30 is absolutely not a J79....weird assumption to make.

Edited by fat creason
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

I think the assumption is based on the fact there are two sound files in the "DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F14\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines" folder that are named with J79 in the title: "J79-17_ENG1_QuietHowl.wav" and "J79-17_ENG2_Reheat.wav"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wingmate said:

I think the assumption is based on the fact there are two sound files in the "DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F14\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines" folder that are named with J79 in the title: "J79-17_ENG1_QuietHowl.wav" and "J79-17_ENG2_Reheat.wav"

Ah. Forgot those files were in there, but they're not actually used. Going to cleanup and re-org the audio folders as part of the sound re-work.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

On 1/21/2024 at 9:54 PM, RustBelt said:

your speakers can’t physically abuse the air the way Zone 5 AB does in the real world. It’s a full body experience then. 

Sadly I never got to experience an F-14 at an airshow, but I have been hit full-on in the chest by an F-22 in reheat, and yes it’s definitely a ‘full body experience’ 🙂

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Tomcat was more "Rippey" due to how far apart the engines were, lots of interaction between the individual engines jets and the disrupted free air between it. It made a wicked beat oscillation that sounded like space time was being ripped open. Most of the other twin fighters have the engines so close it doesn't quite match it. The 35, 16 and 18 Booms and the 15 and 22 screech. The only other stuff that gets close is the Su-27 and MiG-29 but those also have totally different tones due to intake geometry. (I got super lucky to see the 29 during the '91 "Friendship tour" at the Cleveland Airshow, which also had the regular tomcat show) 

Oh and the B-1 at full spank. it does it too although it's different because it's louder and lower frequency. My guess is the Concorde did it at full blast too, but never got to see that.

Edited by RustBelt

At an airshow, an F-35 at max power and max acceleration doing a 8+ G turn in front of you, will cause your entire body to vibrate.

The engine is huge, and the new engine is bigger,

The Tomcat, had a special feeling compared to everything else because of the unique distance between the engines, regardless of A or B/D, it's still a Big Engine.

A Tomcat doing a break in front of you at full burner, is significantly more powerful feeling that F/A-18s, or F-16s (which use the same engine core as the B/D).

However, NOTHING, will add up to a high speed max power break of a B-1B

• Like 2

20 years in the USAF. Loudest I've heard were the F-111s at Canon in the 70's and SR-71s at Kadena in the 80's. Watching them takeoff from the radar site near the runway gives you the full body experience. No doubt contributed to my poor hearing. 😉

Edited by Ironious
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 4:34 PM, Ironious said:

No doubt contributed to my poor hearing.

Didn't you see the sign?

obraz.png

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

9 hours ago, DarkJedi_7 said:

My version of the TF-30 Overhaul adds the 'Crackle' to the F110

TF-30 is PW / F-14A,
F110 is GE / F-14B & D

That Video is a D, you're mixing 2 different engines.

• 2 weeks later...
В 02.02.2024 в 10:51, draconus сказал:

Didn't you see the sign?

Even deck crew members notice this problem, despite usage of the standard protection.

Спойлер

ASRock X570, Ryzen 9 3900X, Kingston HyperX 64GB 3200 MHz, XFX RX6900XT MERC 319 16GB, SSD for DCS - Patriot P210 2048GB, HP Reverb G2.

WINWING Orion 2 throttle, VPC Rotor Plus TCS + Hawk-60 grip, VPC WarBRD + MongoosT-50CM2/V.F.X (F-14) grips. Logitech G940 pedals🥲