Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

well I was one of the lucky ones who had the PC app updated to 63 but still runs.

HOWEVER

Last night oculus notified me there is a new update for the headset, I declined but in the settings it says it will go ahead and install it without my consent 4-26

Just a FYI

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AeroGrappler said:

Understand that ED is working the issue, and I'm definitely not a fan of the online arguing.  I am only posting this to emphasize that ED needs to put out an official statement instead of thread replies.  This is a major issue that is affecting a lot of people; most of which probably haven't even found this thread (took me two weeks).  I'd REALLY like to see a statement in the news section of DCS.  Appreciate everyone at ED as well as those on the thread with the helpful posts. @BIGNEWY

I fully agree. The statement is long overdue. I can't judge what the best approach is for ED to solve the issue, (hotfix or not). I have no IT background.

But, I lost hours and hours of troubleshooting before I found this tread. I didn't realise it was the VR part that was causing the crashes. I reinstalled everything from scratch. This was absolutely not necessary if there would have been a short message from ED in their news section. Especially given the fact they are already aware of the issue for such a long time.

Luckily we have some smart people here who could help us out with a "hot-fix" so we can sim again. 

And yes, I joined the forum, so I could take part in this conversation...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dkha said:

Did you downgrade to version v62? If so, where did you find it? I searched on Reddit and couldn't find any information, I only found downgrades to older versions.

here too and instructions

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Meta Quest 2 user.

After seeing the issue with VR not launching I decided to try something different than swapping Oculus runtime files, which I think breaks some 3rd party programs.  I uninstalled Meta Quest/Oculus software and deleted all folders in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming.  I factory reset my headset.  I installed the software from the meta website https://www.oculus.com/download_app/?id=1582076955407037.  I closed the program at the login screen.  I then setup my Quest 2 headset with my phone app doing all the initial setup.  I plugged my headset into my PC with my link cable.  I then started the Meta Quest\Oculus software. I logged into my account and saw which version I had from a fresh install it was this. 

https://imgur.com/WBuG2Qv

I killed all Oculus processes with the task manager, and turned my headset's Wifi off.  I then went into my Firewall and blocked all incoming and outgoing connections to the Oculus sofware, it looks like this

https://imgur.com/0ChDV66

After that my Meta Quest/Oculus software could no longer reach the internet.  It did see an available update(the update that breaks VR) but it would not download it and was stuck at 0%.

https://imgur.com/msxE8SR

This allows me to stay on the last viable software version and still play DCS as if nothing had changed.  I don't know if this will help others or not but I decided it probably couldn't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Damn! We need one pronto!!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Just join one of the Facebook DCS groups. There's always a t-shirt scammers around.

Edited by slughead
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aries Avenger said:

To all Meta / Oculus users . . . noteworthy discoveries!!!
- DCS 2.8 stopped supporting OpenXR runtime and introduce their own version built in the game.
- YouTubers failed to mention this fact and was not "more" clearly stated by Eagle Dynamics going forward.
- If you created a shortcut for DCS Open Beta from the bin-mt and added --force_unable_VR --force_OpenXR as instructed by many Tubers you probably had a lot of stuttering and performance issues. 
- Reason: Both OpenXR and DCS's runtime were active and working against each other.
- Now Meta Quest Link updates to 63.0.0 (Not the same thing as the HMD update 63.xx.xx.xx) and no longer supports OpenXR and does not recognize the DCS version either. Thus, the crashes we are all seeing.

Support for this observation: This conclusion is based on the many days of reading DCS and Meta forums/support teams and Reddit. I have over 15 years of Software Release Management and testing and can read between the lines. Point is, this may not be entirely accurate due to non-disclosed talks and info but I am confident it is accurate based on the given information. 

Awesome find never knew that, like most I just used the OpenXR toolkit recommended on YouTube videos.

54 minutes ago, Aries Avenger said:

- DCS 2.8 stopped supporting OpenXR runtime and introduce their own version built in the game.
- YouTubers failed to mention this fact and was not "more" clearly stated by Eagle Dynamics going forward.
- If you created a shortcut for DCS Open Beta from the bin-mt and added --force_unable_VR --force_OpenXR as instructed by many Tubers you probably had a lot of stuttering and performance issues. 
- Reason: Both OpenXR and DCS's runtime were active and working against each other.
- Now Meta Quest Link updates to 63.0.0 (Not the same thing as the HMD update 63.xx.xx.xx) and no longer supports OpenXR and does not recognize the DCS version either. Thus, the crashes we are all seeing.

Support for this observation: This conclusion is based on the many days of reading DCS and Meta forums/support teams and Reddit. I have over 15 years of Software Release Management and testing and can read between the lines. Point is, this may not be entirely accurate due to non-disclosed talks and info but I am confident it is accurate based on the given information. 

Why not just read BN post here  ? on the 27th Feb. "native Oculus API "

Edited by freehand

I am pretty cross about this having spent half a day trying various updates, driver changes, reboots/starts, etc… I found this thread about an hour ago! Fairly sub-optimal when so many users use Oculus kit and the issue has been known about for a few weeks. Now to decide whether to roll back to V62 and turn off auto updates, or just wait out for a fix…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gazzer said:

I am pretty cross about this having spent half a day trying various updates, driver changes, reboots/starts, etc… I found this thread about an hour ago! Fairly sub-optimal when so many users use Oculus kit and the issue has been known about for a few weeks. Now to decide whether to roll back to V62 and turn off auto updates, or just wait out for a fix…

"Auto updates" is only for the "apps" installed on the headset. It excludes the headset firmware and the Oculus link app that runs on the PC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slughead said:

"Auto updates" is only for the "apps" installed on the headset. It excludes the headset firmware and the Oculus link app that runs on the PC.

Thanks. Going to sleep on it and have a look tomorrow after I’ve calmed down. Had big plans for this weekend in the Easter rain - maybe not now! 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aries Avenger said:

Sorry but no. There are so many completely wrong statements here.

> DCS 2.8 stopped supporting OpenXR runtime and introduce their own version built in the game.

No. DCS still supports OpenXR today. What changed is DCS MT defaulting to using OpenXR by default, instead of Oculus (OVR) and OpenVR by default.

> Reason: Both OpenXR and DCS's runtime were active and working against each other.

No. That doesn't make any sense. I think you do not understand what OpenXR is.

> Now Meta Quest Link updates to 63.0.0 and no longer supports OpenXR and does not recognize the DCS version either.

No. Quest Link still supports OpenXR, since it is the future standard going forward, and it's not going away any time soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

I still vote for mbucchia and a part-time job for him in ED to improve VR 😁!

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

3 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

> DCS 2.8 stopped supporting OpenXR runtime and introduce their own version built in the game.

No. DCS still supports OpenXR today. What changed is DCS MT defaulting to using OpenXR by default, instead of Oculus (OVR) and OpenVR by default.

> Reason: Both OpenXR and DCS's runtime were active and working against each other.

> Now Meta Quest Link updates to 63.0.0 and no longer supports OpenXR and does not recognize the DCS version either.

No. Quest Link still supports OpenXR, since it is the future standard going forward, and it's not going away any time soon.

MB I can appreciate your opinion to a point . . . I will post the my findings. Can you in the meantime provide a source for your statements as well?

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

You're wrong. When people buy a product, they expect it to work (even without reading forums, posts or searching for it). I guess that's normal? Its also normal in the IT world that when something doesn't work (so critical issue), developers focus on a patch specifically for it (I work on projects so I know what I'm talking about). An example even from Cayberpunk 2077, where, due to major problems, we received the first patch after a week of the entire game. Then it only got better. Here we hear that there is a plan, but nothing is known. This is a critical error, not some guesswork. If it suits you, of course you can live with it, but I know people who tear their hair out and have no technological knowledge because they can modify files without damaging something else and in the future they will have to undo it. This may cause further problems, it is worth adding, because it is already a certain interference. I would also like to note that the status has changed, it was information - resolved internally, and now we have it reported only. The rest regarding changes to the game, new content, etc. can wait a week or two or so, basically it doesn't matter. We are talking about a rather critical issue for many.

LIke Boeing,,,

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

4 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

Innit tho. I stopped reading when I saw "--force_unable_VR" as that's not a valid command as far as I can tell from the post at the top of the VR section of the forum:

People with no clue are making it up as they go, hoping to be the "saviour of the day". Lol.

3 minutes ago, Aries Avenger said:

MB I can appreciate your opinion to a point . . . I will post the my findings. Can you in the meantime provide a source for your statements as well?

I refer you to the thread that I just shared.

2 hours ago, DCoffey said:

well I was one of the lucky ones who had the PC app updated to 63 but still runs.

HOWEVER

Last night oculus notified me there is a new update for the headset, I declined but in the settings it says it will go ahead and install it without my consent 4-26

Just a FYI

I went somewhere came home, and the damned MS software said it updated.. and guess, what, the Oculus had been messed with without my permission because the Meta screen was up and I always have to unplug the headset and plug it back in when Meta messes (((** with it!!))) with it... I have not checked to see if they screwed over my working fix...

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

32 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

No excuses here . . . I am completely wrong and have deleted my findings. Sorry for the confusion and any misleading conclusions. Thanks MB for pointing out my errors in a "gentle" manner. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AeroGrappler said:

Understand that ED is working the issue, and I'm definitely not a fan of the online arguing.  I am only posting this to emphasize that ED needs to put out an official statement instead of thread replies.  This is a major issue that is affecting a lot of people; most of which probably haven't even found this thread (took me two weeks).  I'd REALLY like to see a statement in the news section of DCS.  Appreciate everyone at ED as well as those on the thread with the helpful posts. @BIGNEWY

I have to agree. When I developed the problem Tuesday night, I was suprised to learn that this had been a known issue for a month (saw a post from mid February). Not sure if they didn’t put out a hot fox long ago b/c the oculus update was still in beta or what but yeah….could have put something out

it was a bit surprising to see that this was a known issue, see how prevalent it has become and still be here days/weeks later waiting for a fix so we can actually play the game

BUT….I KNOW ED is working hard on it and I can’t imagine them holding onto a fix unless they had to. That said, we can all agree it’s frustrating not knowing anything. So….here’s hoping the patch comes out tomorrow so I can play the game that Steam says I’ve given over $1,000 to ED to play.

Can’t do Steam VR. Performance is horrid 

• Like 1

It's easy to invest a lot in ED over many years. I've got two accoints so as I can fly two up in VR. It's Easter Holidays and I'm unable to play. Leaves a very bad taste and I am, to put it mildly, very dissappointed. It's not ok to not release a hot fix just because of with some inflexible corporate patch regimen.

• Like 5