Gazelle just falling out of the sky in air starts

In this attached track of a custom made mission, I enter the M (and later L) versions of the Gazelle in air starts. But very soon, the engine just quits, various cautionary lights come on, and the Gazelle loses power and falls out of the sky. Really puzzled. What am I missing here?

For info: Hotas throttle pushes forward to increase collective. Engine failure option turned off in the Special options (made no difference on or off). Sand filter was turned on after entering pit (made no difference on or off. I have set 40% fuel in both M and L Gazelles to make it lighter at 89% weight. South Atlantic map 10deg C. Unlimited weapons set.

SA342 Falling Out of Sky.trk

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

57 minutes ago, Shadok said:

rotor brake off?

The rotor brake is forward (released). Fuel flow lever is also forward (opened). Mission starts in the air.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

In this attached track of a custom made mission, I enter the M (and later L) versions of the Gazelle in air starts. But very soon, the engine just quits, various cautionary lights come on, and the Gazelle loses power and falls out of the sky. Really puzzled. What am I missing here?

For info: Hotas throttle pushes forward to increase collective. Engine failure option turned off in the Special options (made no difference on or off). Sand filter was turned on after entering pit (made no difference on or off. I have set 40% fuel in both M and L Gazelles to make it lighter at 89% weight. South Atlantic map 10deg C.

SA342 Falling Out of Sky.trk
I'll have a look when I get home. Have you bound the fuel lever to an axis?

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Just now, MAXsenna said:

I'll have a look when I get home. Have you bound the fuel lever to an axis?

Yes I did bind the fuel lever to a small slider. So I did check and the fuel lever in the sim is fully forward as can be seen in the track. 

• Like 1

Ok I found the problem! The fuel flow lever was bound to my warthog throttle grey slider for both pilot and copilot. Even though it was fully forward in the sim pit, the axis was a bit jittery (hardware issue) and any reduction in fuel flow caused the engine problems. So I removed the binding for the pilot first and everything was ok when in the pilot seat. But I could still move the sim lever as pilot (using the grey warthog lever) because it was still bound in the copilot bindings and that caused the engine to fail again. (I understand this is inherent in the pilot/copilot bindings - some pilot bindings will work when you are copilot even when they aren't bound in the copilot settings and vice versa.) So I removed the fuel lever binding for the copilot as well and now the problem is gone.

But I am curious. Why does a momentary short move backwards of the fuel lever cause these engine problems? And even if I promptly return the lever fully forward, I cannot recover from it though the AI is able to (when I jump into another Gazelle).    

• Like 2

Glad you got it sorted. I haven’t flown mine since they updated it, hope I remember to check my bindings when I do.

Wonder how many people will be experimenting trying to recover after cutting the fuel for a second now.

• Like 1

Ok I found the problem! The fuel flow lever was bound to my warthog throttle grey slider for both pilot and copilot. Even though it was fully forward in the sim pit, the axis was a bit jittery (hardware issue) and any reduction in fuel flow caused the engine problems. So I removed the binding for the pilot first and everything was ok when in the pilot seat. But I could still move the sim lever as pilot (using the grey warthog lever) because it was still bound in the copilot bindings and that caused the engine to fail again. (I understand this is inherent in the pilot/copilot bindings - some pilot bindings will work when you are copilot even when they aren't bound in the copilot settings and vice versa.) So I removed the fuel lever binding for the copilot as well and now the problem is gone.

But I am curious. Why does a momentary short move backwards of the fuel lever cause these engine problems? And even if I promptly return the lever fully forward, I cannot recover from it though the AI is able to (when I jump into another Gazelle).    
I have found that sliders should be set as sliders. Maybe that's the jittering you see? And in the Gazelle, (I use the Warthog, as I have a collective), it's pretty smart to have a deadzone for the fuel lever, to make sure it gets to 100.
And I do see the behaviour you see, when I have forgotten to push the levers forward in a hotstart, I usually just restart the misson, because it takes forever to spool up.

Things like that are why  - apart from HOTAS related stuff - I tend to just use the clickable cockpit.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

50 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

I have found that sliders should be set as sliders. Maybe that's the jittering you see? And in the Gazelle, (I use the Warthog, as I have a collective), it's pretty smart to have a deadzone for the fuel lever, to make sure it gets to 100.

It was set as a slider with deadzone and reduced Y sat to make sure it goes betw 0-100 but that warthog lever of mine is a bit finicky and requires recalibration after some time. It wouldn't have been an issue if the Gazelle didn't die from 1-2 secs of just a slight fuel lever movement. Not sure why that is though.   

18 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Things like that are why  - apart from HOTAS related stuff - I tend to just use the clickable cockpit.

Yeah I know what you mean, lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 9:03 AM, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

It wouldn't have been an issue if the Gazelle didn't die from 1-2 secs of just a slight fuel lever movement. Not sure why that is though.

The Engine shuts down with the FUEL LEVER if the "Starter" switch is in the middle ARRET/OFF position.

When in flight - the "Starter" switch should be UP i.e. in the MARCHE/ON/RUN position.

Currently the Gazelle spawns with the "Starter" switch in the incorrect ARRET/OFF position, so it needs moving to MARCHE when selecting an air spawned or hot started Gazelle.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ramsay said:

The Engine shuts down with the FUEL LEVER if the "Starter" switch is in the middle ARRET/OFF position.

When in flight - the "Starter" switch should be UP i.e. in the MARCHE/ON/RUN position.

Currently the Gazelle spawns with the "Starter" switch in the incorrect ARRET/OFF position, so it needs moving to MARCHE when selecting an air spawned or hot started Gazelle.

Thanks! That solved it. 
(Caution warnings go away when I push the fuel lever fully forward again. Just have to flip the AP switch back up.) 

Seems the 3-position starter switch is an old issue discussed here and elsewhere. Not sure if they ever found the right answer. But as far as the sim is concerned, as you mentioned, the switch should remain in the up position. I find it strange still that a combo of fuel lever back slightly momentarily with the starter switch in the Off or Vent position could end the Gazelle in mid flight.  

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN
  • Like 1

Thanks! That solved it. 
(Caution warnings go away when I push the fuel lever fully forward again. Just have to flip the AP switch back up.) 

Seems the 3-position starter switch is an old issue discussed here and elsewhere. Not sure if they ever found the right answer. But as far as the sim is concerned, as you mentioned, the switch should remain in the up position. I find it strange still that a combo of fuel lever back slightly momentarily with the starter switch in the Off or Vent position could end the Gazelle in mid flight.  
I'm not sure about the OFF position, while I guess Vent means "ventilation", to get rid of any left fuel after a false start. Bad idea in flight I guess.
Cheers!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still not convinced this bird is out of beta after seven years . 😆

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .