Feeling pretty demoralised with my DCS journey.

Toastfrenzy
Go to solution Solved by sthompson,

Just had all my controller presets reset to zero.......got all new Vipril gear (few months ago) and spent a lot of time configuring them and though not finished, far from it. It's been a worthwhile time going through the Virpil config software and then assigning within DCS.

Each module has to have the same treatment. So it's a long process.

Started DCS up to have a go today and all my (many) buttons do nothing.

It seems my controllers have been assigned new id's - maybe, as there are now 2 lua's in some of the saved games\config folder, for a few of the modules.

Not all lost but some modules have blank - default - lua's

Where does the windows ID number originate from, firmware on the controller or usb socket association or some other random process?

Anyway, something I didn't know is that when you click on the save profile it only saves the controller that is actually highlighted not the whole "profile" as it were. That's why my saved controller profiles are more or less redundant. I could be missing how to save controller profiles correctly for sure. But I now think I need to save 3 times at least for each module - Joy, Throttle and Rudder.

I know this has happened to many - reading on the forum and also on other sites.

What's the best way to keep this from happening - If it happens again I may just give up and go do something less boring instead.

Also having FOV issues where I'm having to reset that all the time - there have been some recent YouTubes that have helped but the FOV seems to arbitrarily change itself on most modules. 

On 3/16/2024 at 5:27 PM, Toastfrenzy said:

What's the best way to keep this from happening

Had those ID-change-based losses myself, but so early in my DCS journey, that I did not lose too much.

Since then, I always store every controls setting for each controller of each module. Like you described above (and even add a version number, and backup those in the cloud).

Never had issues aigain nor fear.

Don't give up DCS.

edit: after @Art-J's post (6 posts down there) I don't recommend my method anymore 😉

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

Keep in mind even if you haven't "saved" individual device profile, its .diff.lua file is still there allright in Saved Games / Config / Input / etc. etc. location.

So you can actually just highlight the relevant column, hit load profile button, navigate to that old .diff.lua and click it. That will restore the settings and rename the file with new correct USB ID. Been there, done that.

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 1

• Solution

Yes, that's really annoying but it seems to be a problem with Windows as much as with DCS.

I recommend the following to recover, assuming you still have a backup of your config\input folders from before you started having trouble.

1. Backup your original input folders
  2. Make a copy of the backup. You will do some editing here in later steps.
  3. Delete the current input folders, then start up DCS and make some controller assignments for one module. You don't need to make a complete set. A few assignments for each device will do. Then exit DCS. You will now have new lua files in your config\input\<module name>\joystick folder. Look at the names of those files, and make a note of the new device numbers here.
  4. Edit the names of the lua files saved in step 2 so that the old devices have the new device identifiers. If you have a lot of modules this can be somewhat time consuming. But you can use cmd scripting to speed this up so that you don't have to rename each file manually. (A combination of the "for" and "rename" commands of the cmd command shell does the trick.)
  5. Edit any modifiers.lua files in the archive from step 2 to revise the device numbers for any modifiers that use those devices. If (like me) you use the same modifiers in all modules then you can do this once and then copy the modifiers.lua file to all of the other directories where a change might be needed.
  6. Copy the edited archive back to the original location in Saved Games.

My understanding is that Windows assigns device IDs when it detects a "new" device. Unfortunately that might include an old device plugged into a new USB port, or some other hardware change. So to avoid these changes, try not to move your connected devices around.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

JoyPro ... Holdi601/JoystickProfiler: Joystick Profiler Utility (github.com) is the answer to "HOTAS" mapping problems 

• Like 4

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the help, the rename lua files was very helpful as most, 70%, of my button assignments were still present in the previous lua files.

The missing 30% must be where I've saved the "profile" and only saved the rudder or stick but not my CM3 throttle where most of my buttons reside.

I've recovered some and as all my controllers are still the "same" in the Virpil software (why not DCS) the hard work in button\axis to windows assignments are still present.

I had recently moved my PC to another room https://youtube.com/shorts/QjzLXW6JPuE and never before had to worry about what port a particular controller was plugged into, as no game\software, as far as I can recall - even back to my early EAW days (lol) did changing the port a controller was plugged into bring up any issues.

Just a pity that there are still these gotchas within DCS after 15 years of DCS being out there and also being one of the best of its kind if not the best.

Not to bore - but I'll timeline my experiences since starting out with DCS last year.

Started March - April '23 - took the 50% new start offer, couple modules, asset pack and Channel map ( securing new Normandy 2 map for 15%)

New Normandy map released - logon issues for up to 3 days....as the demand exceeded DCS infrastructure capabilities

July\August '23 After using for a few months my interest waned as cracks appearing with DCS just didn't sit right with me. Simple stuff - spotting for one.

October\Nov '23 DCS 2.9 dropped. This was a revelation - brought me back into DCS the video description https://youtu.be/1ClI3X20GZU details all, for me at least.

Dec 23 -Jan '24 New Virpil controllers, a learning time with Virpil software and DCS

Feb '24 slowing down DCS as my room\desk situation with new controllers wasn't ideal

March '24 PC move and "new" controller assignments issues, making me sad.

Not as smooth as I'd like it to have been, I'll look to see if there is a ticket or something raised about the moving controllers issue, my gut tells me that this shouldn't be an issue as it is?

Edited by Toastfrenzy

On 3/16/2024 at 5:27 PM, Toastfrenzy said:

Anyway, something I didn't know is that when you click on the save profile it only saves the controller that is actually highlighted not the whole "profile" as it were. That's why my saved controller profiles are more or less redundant. I could be missing how to save controller profiles correctly for sure. But I now think I need to save 3 times at least for each module - Joy, Throttle and Rudder.

Keep in mind even if you haven't "saved" individual device profile, its .diff.lua file is still there allright in Saved Games / Config / Input / etc. etc. location.

So you can actually just highlight the relevant column, hit load profile button, navigate to that old .diff.lua and click it. That will restore the settings and rename the file with new correct USB ID. Been there, done that. Granted, as you noticed, you'll have to repeat that for every module and every device, but I still consider that method to be quicker than manual file renaming, which does the same thing but is... well, manual and more tedious.

The whole "save" profiles thing is unnecessary, as they're always saved by the game in .diff.luas anyway, only under these gibberish ID names. So unless you specifically want to name each of them in some personal way, or there's a risk something can actually delete these files from your disc, there's no need to use save function. Making a frequent backup copy of the whole Config / Input folder, however, is a must for aforementioned reason.

A disclaimer - my observations are based on hardware assigned directly in DCS without any external profiler software (Thrustmaster and MFG user here). Not sure how extra layer of Virpil soft affects all of this.

• Like 4

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

So you can actually just highlight the relevant column, hit load profile button, navigate to that old .diff.lua and click it. That will restore the settings and rename the file with new correct USB ID. Been there, done that.

👍

3 hours ago, Art-J said:

The whole "save" profiles thing is unnecessary, as they're always saved by the game in .diff.luas anyway, only under these gibberish ID names. So unless you specifically want to name each of them in some personal way, or there's a risk something can actually delete these files from your disc, there's no need to use save function. Making a frequent backup copy of the whole Config / Input folder, however, is a must for aforementioned reason.

Thanks! Wasn't looking forward to creating 3 x 5 module lua files for my 3 controllers - I'll just save the input folder as you've suggested. I can live with this 🫠 at least!

Do yourself a favor.  Get this tool called "JoyPro":

https://github.com/Holdi601/JoystickProfiler

Grim Reapers has a YouTube video on how to use it, but you can use it to configure all of your devices for all of your planes at once, and backup the config.

It will save you a ton of time and effort.

P.S.  Here is the GR video. I love this guy's videos.  He's made DCS so much more of a joy to fly for me.

Edited by Rex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

On 3/16/2024 at 5:18 PM, speed-of-heat said:

JoyPro ... Holdi601/JoystickProfiler: Joystick Profiler Utility (github.com) is the answer to "HOTAS" mapping problems 

13 hours ago, Rex said:

Do yourself a favor.  Get this tool called "JoyPro":

Thanks, I've watched the video and GR even said "when ED bring out something like this......"

I'll drop BN a DM see if there's anything in\on the roadmap at all for controllers and the like.

I'll get this set up and give it a go - With JoyPro, how easy is to rectify new controller ID's as I experienced earlier,?

I think I've spent more time in dev\testing\setting up than actually sitting down enjoying flying and "gitting gud" with DCS over the last year 😑

7 minutes ago, Toastfrenzy said:

Thanks, I've watched the video and GR even said "when ED bring out something like this......"

I'll drop BN a DM see if there's anything in\on the roadmap at all for controllers and the like.

I'll get this set up and give it a go - With JoyPro, how easy is to rectify new controller ID's as I experienced earlier,?

I think I've spent more time in dev\testing\setting up than actually sitting down enjoying flying and "gitting gud" with DCS over the last year 😑

completely trivial ... if you have moved device id's (and thats a windows issue btw not an ED issue) the Joypro App detects it and prompts you asking you if you want to saying something like Joystick X is no longer detected do you want to move it to another one (and then presents you a list in the UI of available devices) ... then just export the control sets and job is done ... but the real "gift" is it makes mapping controls across multiple aircraft much easier ... i mean much easier ... 

it even made moving from my old joy stick to my new joystick easier 

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I think JoyPro has made my controller worries almost nonexistent now.

Still a little to configure but in a better place now anyhow.

Thanks for all the help and positive comments, much appreciated 😃

Edited by Toastfrenzy
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Always make a back up of your settings , when you change computer to upgrade your have your DCS controller files to hand .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .