Petrovich not targetting anything!

11 hours ago, whataboutbob71 said:

Petrovich not targeting anything! Enough said, been like this the past two patches.

how about you post a track, it will help your case regardless if it's a bug or your mistake?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a similar problem. Petro couldn't see a SA-8 OSA and a M1A1 directly in front of him, instead he insisted targeting only some harmless trucks at two o'clock.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Posted (edited)

My experiences are on multiplayer servers. I must assume you "testers" don't test in those environments. Many times pete has not targeted anything even when the hostile units are firing at us from the front and with me directing him to scan that exact area where the firing is coming from. Do I have a track, no, because we have to delete those along with the files in the fxo and metashaders folder just to reduce the risk of performance issues.

I will say it always isn't occurring, pete being blind, but its well known problem. The fact we have to become testers isn't the correct response from a company charging money for new content when the current is still buggy as hell. I didnt even touch on petes inability to target closer threats over other threats further away leading to us flying into the closer threats firing range and dying, as RealDCSpilot mentioned above. Again my experiences are from online play.

I would like to suggest you testers research regression testing methodologies and start implementing them. Else you may notice people no longer paying for new modules. And my investments in your software going down the drain.

Edited by whataboutbob71

3 hours ago, whataboutbob71 said:

Fortunately my backups work, but the size is over 50MB. Lift the limit and Ill attach it; its 85mb. It shows peter either not locking anything, continuing to lock something out of sight, or locking low priority targets. Here is a video segment of the issues https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2127243415

Issues you are having might be of your own doing. In your video, when you engage Petrovich, floating reticle is down and right. That indicates toppled gyros. Meaning that he is not looking where you think he is looking.

• Like 1

Also, it is worth noting that Petrovich, obviously, disregards objects which have already been killed. But sometimes, 'killed' equipment may graphically appear intact far out, and you must fly close enough to see that it is actually destroyed (charred black). I have found that this was my issue with assuming that Petrovich 'cannot spot anything.' Something to keep in mind. 

• Like 1

Like I said he isnt targeting what he should be targeting. I'm telling him to target ahead where the sight is pointing and he is still off the screen trying to lock something else. He does this repeatedly! There were live armored targets still there because they shot at me multiple times.

21 minutes ago, whataboutbob71 said:

I'm telling him to target ahead where the sight is pointing and he is still off the screen trying to lock something else.

Precisely, because he cannot turn his sight to where the AI helper points anymore. Because the gyro is borked.

borkedgyro.png

As you can see, when the gyro is borked, there's an offset between the AI helper logo and the periscope view. As a consequence, when you say "look over here (cross on the orange disc), Petrovitch will look over there (cross on the blue disc).

If you want to make sure of this, switch to the CPG position, look into the periscope and try to find your target. You wont be able to center the periscope on the target.

Solution : ask Petrovich to go Observ. off before you make your turns. This way, your gyro will stay aligned.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1 hour ago, whataboutbob71 said:

Like I said he isnt targeting what he should be targeting. I'm telling him to target ahead where the sight is pointing and he is still off the screen trying to lock something else. He does this repeatedly! There were live armored targets still there because they shot at me multiple times.

The periscope has limits of +/-30 degrees bank. Anytime you exceed 20-30 degrees bank, you want to press down short to make Petro close the periscope. 

It can also break the gyros from moving too fast in pitch and yaw, but the airplane is only unstable enough for this to happen at low speeds 

I think Miki might’ve mentioned, that by turning of the periscope for 3-4 minutes and turning it back on will fix the toppled gyros 

@Flappie Awesome graphic for showing how the gyros are toppled! 

Edited by AeriaGloria
  • Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

So we are all in agreement that petrovich is bugged and not doing his job as a CPG? He should inform me of this or turn it off and then back on to get it to work again. There is no reason the human pilot should have to guess this stuff as to why he isn't targeting items. But I will try this in the rebooting option in the future.

Yeah, Petrovich does have his fair share of bugs, but if I was flying as your CPG, I would be mightily pi**ed off if you do not warn me before doing some crazy turning.

Petrovich is not designed to be some super human (even though his ability to find and hit targets seem to imply it) and can not predict everything. Team work is the key. Speaking of which, YOU are the aircraft comander and it is up to you to ensure proper utilisation of said aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, admiki said:

Petrovich is not designed to be some super human (even though his ability to find and hit targets seem to imply it) and can not predict everything. Team work is the key. Speaking of which, YOU are the aircraft comander and it is up to you to ensure proper utilisation of said aircraft.

This. ☝️

The Mi-24P was equipped with a... submarine periscope to save money and time. This gave the Mi-24P sighting system a few flaws. The  biggest flaw is this one: the pilot has to be extra careful as soon as the periscope window is opened.

This is what I do every time I'm about to attack something:

1. Turn to target.
  2. Ask Petrovitch to turn on the periscope.
  3. Ask him to aim.
  4. Fire missile.
  5. When about to turn away from the target, ask Petrovitch to turn off the periscope.
  6. Turn.

Edited by Flappie
typo
  • Like 3

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Well if the enemy would stop shooting at me I wouldn't have the need to take aggressive maneuvers. I don't play this game on passive shooting ranges. Also petrovich is supposed to disable the sight when feeling these aggressive maneuvers which in turn should rest to gyros if what AeriaGloria posted above it true.

Ive just flown on the ECW server in the hind , Petro takes way too long to lock a target , Over and over asking him to lock it up , Im tired of this .

So many complaints from people about Petro and still no fixes . I can clearly see these targets with my mark one,but he is blind as a bat .

Discord commuity has said this isnt petro but DCS and its spotting difficulties . ???  I dont see how this would effect Petro locking up a targets .

We get hit with a missle and petro calls out missle 20 seconds too late .. lol , Good call petro we are going down . LOL 😂

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

3 hours ago, whataboutbob71 said:

Well if the enemy would stop shooting at me I wouldn't have the need to take aggressive maneuvers. I don't play this game on passive shooting ranges. Also petrovich is supposed to disable the sight when feeling these aggressive maneuvers which in turn should rest to gyros if what AeriaGloria posted above it true.

Petro can spot targets outside of range of your own missiles, not to mention rangge of AAA shooting at you, if you come that close that AAA is shooting at you, it is squarely your own fault.

When the f^ck will people start taking responsibility for their own actions instead of blaiming it on an entity that can not speak on its own behalf?

2 hours ago, KoN said:

Ive just flown on the ECW server in the hind , Petro takes way too long to lock a target , Over and over asking him to lock it up , Im tired of this .

So many complaints from people about Petro and still no fixes . I can clearly see these targets with my mark one,but he is blind as a bat .

Discord commuity has said this isnt petro but DCS and its spotting difficulties . ???  I dont see how this would effect Petro locking up a targets .

We get hit with a missle and petro calls out missle 20 seconds too late .. lol , Good call petro we are going down . LOL 😂

Would you mind inviting me to fly mission with you, so we can check if it's Petro's fault?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whataboutbob71 said:

Sorry no, As mentioned Petro may close the sight early enough during gentle maneuvered but often too late for more violent ones. Sometimes vice versa, it’s unpredictable; and why it’s more of a “backup” than something designed to be 100%. 

In this case when Petro closes the sight, Petro is only closing the doors and caging the gyroscope which already had a 3.5 minute alignment. 

If the 30 degree bank angle or around 20 degree/s rotation is exceeded  while doors open and gyros are toppled, they need time to settle down with everything off and then turned back on.

I believe the main gyroscope spins 60,000 rpm, so takes a while to slow down and completely “reset” after the guidance system is shut off. A small topple, where periscope is only a few degrees off, may only need 30-40 seconds of guidance unit off before you can turn the guidance back on. 

But if badly toppled, will need a full 3 minutes. So I usually suggest if toppled no matter how much to turn it off for 3.5 minutes then back on for 3.5 minutes, taking 7 minutes total to “repair.”

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On 5/2/2024 at 12:58 AM, AeriaGloria said:

But if badly toppled, will need a full 3 minutes. So I usually suggest if toppled no matter how much to turn it off for 3.5 minutes then back on for 3.5 minutes, taking 7 minutes total to “repair.”

Is it possible to realign a toppled gyro during flight, or must the heli be stationary on ground? 

No, you can do it in flight.

If flying solo, you need to jump in front seat, turn of power for Raduga, you can then jump back into pilot seat, wait 3,5 minutes and tell Petrovich to turn weapons back on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So as solo flyer how do we know if sight is toppled . Is there any sign of this . 

• Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .