AH 64 D is not playable in VR

Go to solution Solved by Alexfly65,

Hello there,

i wanted to try the AH64D again. but asson as all the Textures are Loaded i have massiv FPS Problems.

I was wondered cause i play DCS for a long time already and with any other Module its totaly fine.

Maybe you Guys have a Solution?!

Greetings Sky

My Specs:

64Gb DDR4 Ram

2080TI

R7 3700x

Game is installed on an M2 SSD

System is up to date driver wise

Headset Valve Index

• ED Team

Hi @SkYwAlK3R-_(nice nickname, reminds of someone)

There are a lot of factors to be taken into account when addressing FPS issues.

You are using VR... Is it properly optimized? What are your visual options? Is this singleplayer or multiplayer? Are the missions you are playing running scripts? What map are you using? Etc.

The DCS:AH-64D is a complex module with some big textures to load. It's also advisable to occasionally delete the FXO and Metashader folders in SavedGames/DCS if you run into texture problems.

Finally, do you have any mods installed? 

All of this can contribute to FPS drops. So, let us know if you need further help. 

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

Turn of mirrors! Even though the mirror in the AH-64 is tiny - it still has the same performance hit than all the other mirrors.

(That won't solve all your performance issues, but helps a bit!)

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• ED Team

please attach your dcs log, and screenshots of your dcs settings and vr, also screenshots of your headsets settings and nvidia control panel, we can try and help you with tweaking

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Solution
2 ore fa, SkYwAlK3R-_ ha scritto:

Hello there,

i wanted to try the AH64D again. but asson as all the Textures are Loaded i have massiv FPS Problems.

I was wondered cause i play DCS for a long time already and with any other Module its totaly fine.

Greetings Sky

My Specs:

64Gb DDR4 Ram

2080TI

R7 3700x

Headset Valve Index

Do you know this solution? For me was been a great help. Inside there are also an optimized texture for Ah-64D.
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/323252-dcs-optimized-textures/#comment-5190870

PSU: 750w - MB: MSI Z490-A PRO - CPU: I7-10700 - Liquid Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100x - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 TI ultra gaming - RAM; 32Gb 3200 CL. 16 -  NVMe 1Tb per  WIn + NVMe 1Tb for DCS -   VR: OCULUS QUEST 3 - OS: WIN11 PRO

Hello Again

so mirrors dont change anything no matter what aircraft... so i always left them on.

Which DCS log  do you need? 

I run some Mods but they have Nothing to do with the Apache.

The Stutters acoure on any Map and start assoon as the final textures are Loaded.

Reducing textures didnt do alot.

FXO and Metashader i try today.

Thank you for the Help offers.

Greetings Christian

Nvidia Control Panel 1.PNG

Nvidia Control Panel 2.PNG

Nvidia Control Panel 3.PNG

Steam VR Settings.PNG

Steam VR Video Settings.PNG

Steam VR Video Settings 1.PNG

DCS Settings.PNG

DCS VR Settings.PNG

Just some observations.

- You say you don't see any difference if the mirrors are off or on. This seems strange as it's usually a resource intensive thing to have on. Specially in VR. Can suggest you have a bottleneck somewhere that covers whatever performance drop you might get from mirrors on/off.

- Some of you settings seems optimistic with the hardware you are running.

A few things you can try just to see where the issue is.

* Reduce the pixel density inside DCS from 1.4 to 1.0
* Reduce your resolution of cockpit display from 1024 every fram to just 1024 or 512.
* Visible Range, reduce to something less.
* SSS, Off

If you are able, use something like MSI Afterburner and check how you GPU behaves when you fire up the Apache Vs all the other modules that work ok.

But just for info, Apache module gives my system a run for it's money as well. Of the modules I have, I think the Apache is the most taxing module to run by far in VR.

You can also try this one:

Empty VR hangar for less VRAM usage and faster F-10 ingame map.

Basically removes the plane and hangar on the menu screen. Saves about 800 MB - 1 GB of VRAM. As it's alway active in the background. Again, how much you save is based upon how high you have your settings.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3336353/

Edited by TZeer
  • Like 1

Shadows off , medium texture, low terrain texture, SS off , dirt off ,

vis medium, 512 mirror, 

PD . 1.0

TEST . 

Also before changing airframe if playing for long time, restart computer to clear memory cache . 

DCs has memory problems, with MT . 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

In every other Plane it works totally fine.

Its just the Apache.

I fly VR since 8 years and have experience with 3 different Headsets.

My settings seem Optimistic but they Work and they Work damm good.

The Solution was to Mod the Apaches textures to keep them Lower also Disable the VR Hangar Menu seems to free up Space while flying.

SO Hello again

i played with some settings.

Yes GPU was maxing out and also the VRAM was clutterd.

GPU now just maxes out for a sec while Loading into the Mission.

CPU Max Load 80% with some cores going over 100% do to AMDs automatic OC. (I think no Problem in that)

VRAM issue resolved through that:

The remove VR Hangar mod works the game went alot smoother after that.

Also Taz Apache optimization works also great.

I started to play around

First i set my PD down to 1.0, ofcourse it went way smoother after that.

But... and thats why i used that  PD  the Game turned into a Schimmery Pixely mess.

With DLSS (Quality) was Blurry and just the Pit and the surrounding 10 Meters were ok.

I couldnt see what kind of Jet was parked on the other Ramp.

So i turned ON MSAA 2x and 4x Frametime went up by 5 ms this got me in another trouble.

I gonna leave the Monitors on 1024 every frame... otherwise i cant read the Displays without zoom in all the time.

Now the Distance is flickering and every edge has this Pixel shimmer and i have no idea how to resolve that.

The only way is up the PD... but would kill most of the Performance i gained..

So the Apache is now Flyable but just with those two Mods.

Help with the Graphic Settings would be awesome now.

Greetings Sky

On 4/12/2024 at 6:25 PM, martin.kloubek said:

Hi, i played on VR almost a year (via STEAM) , then i accidentaly hit the play button to play it with MT version 😄, by my huge surprise, i got FPS buff and all my lags gone...try that

ahahah i play on MT since it came out, but good thought 😄

On 4/13/2024 at 3:44 PM, Oldahpilot said:

I'm running a 7800x3D and RTX4090 and those in game settings would challenge my rig, particularly the x1.4. Turn down clutter/grass, and visible range as well.

That wonders me alot: DCS varies from patch to Patch for me but i always had acceptable Frames in VR. with exactly that RIG

I think the Remove VR Hangar mod should be a Setting in DCS for VR users

Although the Apache works "fine" if you turn back most graphics, I do have the strong feeling that this model is graphically not optimized. When I jump into the cockpit, I see all layers build up one by one, layer over layer over layer.... seems extremely overdone.

Just saying. Still Early Access, I know, but is there any work planned in that direction ?

Edited by MarcT-NL

Cockpit texture size is one issue, 11 gb vram is really pushing it for any module and default apache textures its a no go, thats why the taz texture mod helps alot. DCS VR with 2080ti will require lots of balancing in the settings, MSAA or high pixel density are purely 4080/4090 territory i'm afraid, even 4080 struggles with PD 1.0 and 2x MSAA. Motion reprojection and DLSS surely help with FPS but they totally ruin the image quality so for now anyone who doesnt have 4090 has to deal with either low fps or avarage visuals. I have 4080 and i use 2x MSAA and PD 1.0 and usually get around 60-80 fps which i would call tolerable for some but i know many players would need 90+ to consider it smooth.

Edited by Grodin

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

@SkYwAlK3R-_

Try this:

Shadows: Flat only
SSS: Off
Visib Range: High
Terrain Objects Shadows: Off

Shadows can be taxing on your system.

Im running an AMD 6900XT overclocked on an AMD 5800X, I have the above settings right now, on top of that I'm running foveated rendering on a pair of Quest Pro. WIth those settings I'm not always able to keep the framerate @ 72FPS even on Nevada.... All depends on how many units need to be rendered in the background.

1 hour ago, Grodin said:

Cockpit texture size is one issue, 11 gb vram is really pushing it for any module and default apache textures its a no go, thats why the taz texture mod helps alot. DCS VR with 2080ti will require lots of balancing in the settings, MSAA or high pixel density are purely 4080/4090 territory i'm afraid, even 4080 struggles with PD 1.0 and 2x MSAA. Motion reprojection and DLSS surely help with FPS but they totally ruin the image quality so for now anyone who doesnt have 4090 has to deal with either low fps or avarage visuals. I have 4080 and i use 2x MSAA and PD 1.0 and usually get around 60-80 fps which i would call tolerable for some but i know many players would need 90+ to consider it smooth.

That is what is wondering me so much. PD 1.0 works good even with MSAA with my Rig.

2 hours ago, MarcT-NL said:

Although the Apache works "fine" if you turn back most graphics, I do have the strong feeling that this model is graphically not optimized. When I jump into the cockpit, I see all layers build up one by one, layer over layer over layer.... seems extremely overdone.

Just saying. Still Early Access, I know, but is there any work planned in that direction ?

Yep i noticed that aswell... hope they work on it... even the Tomcat is not that demanding lol

On 4/12/2024 at 12:19 PM, SkYwAlK3R-_ said:

Hello there,

Greetings Sky

My Specs:

64Gb DDR4 Ram

2080TI

R7 3700x

Headset Valve Index

Try this mod, it used to work by reducing texture load at apache cocjpit, you can downgrade textures to middle or Low without loosing labels and readbility and with an average increase of fps

Don't know if still works

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321192/

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

On 4/16/2024 at 6:19 PM, firefox121 said:

Try this mod, it used to work by reducing texture load at apache cocjpit, you can downgrade textures to middle or Low without loosing labels and readbility and with an average increase of fps

Don't know if still works

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321192/

Hello, yeah i tried that... but the Taz1004 Apache Optimization gives me better results rnow  but thanks for the reply

• Like 1