RSBN & ARK Still Missing

So as it stands with the MiG-21bis in DCS, we have non-editable (without breaking integrity check) RSBN and ARK beacons on the following maps through the use of an R_NAV_data.lua.

• Caucasus
  • Nevada
  • Normandy (why?)
  • PersianGulf
  • Syria
  • TheChannel (again why?)

We are missing an R_NAV_data.lua for the following maps:

• Kola
  • Sinai

I have attempted to create such a .lua from scratch for the Sinai map, but was ultimately unsuccessful. I figured with successfully adding more beacons through the R_NAV_data_Caucasus.lua that I could just make one for Sinai and well, nothing happened but a big waste of time. Now with Kola released (yes, I know, EaRlY aCcEsS), that now makes 2 maps with absolutely no navaids besides a map, compass, and stopwatch, making navigation in the MiG-21bis comparable to WWII, but for whatever reason, those maps HAVE those navaids.

I don't understand what goes into making these navaids, nor do I understand why after all this time that Sinai STILL doesn't have any, and now another map doesn't as well. Both of these maps have quite a bit that can be done historically with MiG-21, but as it stands we just gotta muddle through.

So is there a workaround we can do in the interim, or are we just up a creek without a paddle till judgment day is at hand? Is anything being done to fix this lack of navigation systems for these maps? And lastly, why isn't there an RSBN beacon that can be placed like the TACAN beacons through the mission editor?

• Like 2

Hey,

eager to fly the mig in Kola, i started looking into adding some navaids into the map (well into the mig21 itself actually since it does it differently).

Long story short, if you wanna do it yourself here are the steps:

- navigate to the mig21 navaid lua files:  <dcsInstallFolder>Mods\aircraft\MIG-21bis\Cockpit\Systems

- edit R_NAV_data.lua and add "Kola" after syria in the Maps_Tables

Maps_Table = {
	"Caucasus",
	"Nevada",
	"Normandy",
	"PersianGulf",
	"TheChannel",
	"Syria",
	"Kola"
}

- then in the same folder, create a R_NAV_data_Kola.lua file (you may copy and rename one of the existing ones from other maps for simplicity sake). Then create/edit the RSBN and ARK objects, here is an example where I just added one RSBN and ARK at Rovaniemi, Finland:

RSBN_data_Kola = {
	map_location = 'NE',
	{
		airbase = 'Rovaniemi',	-- 1
		lat = 66.5658333,
		long = 25.84,
		alt = 634,--
		rwy = 03,--
		length = 2000,
		code = '-- --. -.. ' --/N/ MGD_
	},
}

ARK_data_Kola = {

map_location = 'NE',

--/N/ ARK sector 1 I, channels 1 - 9
	{
		country = 0	
	},

{
		country = 0	
	},

{
		country = 0	
	},

{
		country = 0	
	},

{
		country = 0	
	},

{
		country = 0	
	},

{
		country = 0	
	},

{
		country = 0	
	},

{
		country = 0	
	},

{
	--/N/ 10th channel must be empty
		country = 0
	},

--/N/ sector 1 II, not in use in order to separate UKR from RUS frequency fields
	{
		--1 / absolute 11
		country = 'Finland',
		freq = 336,
		lat = 66.56583,
		long = 25.84,
		location = 'Rovaniemi',
		code = '.... - -.-- ' --/N/ HTY_	
	},	
  --rest omited for brievity
  }

It works as expected, I get the morse code.

Beware of the comments in the file before editing, especially the morse code format.  

I'll share mine when i'm happy with it.

Enjoy

Screen_240505_190733.jpg

Screen_240505_190748.jpg

22 minutes ago, goestrip said:

I'll share mine when i'm happy with it.

thanks a lot for the Tutorial, and look forward to your file … as the Viggen and the MiG-21 are the most natural cold war aircraft to use on this map. 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

In my numerous attempts at creating an R_NAV_data_Sinai.lua I never could get anything out of it, as if the .lua wasn't there at all, so I was holding off on creating an R_NAV_data_Kola.lua as I didn't want to sit and waste my time for another thing that couldn't be done on the user end.

So it's working then for Kola? Does it break Integrity Check?