Airbus A330, 4 years in service.

..hope that someone survived :o

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Sad news.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Seems like the flight sent out a signal about some electronic failures a while (3 hours or so) before it disappeared from radar. A lightning as main cause seems very unlikely and some people are speculating that this guess was simply based on a mistranslation. Sadly it looks very bad for the people on this plane now.

The a/c apparently flew into some really bad weather and experienced heavy turbulence. Latest, reliable sources say there was a major short circuit (Lighting? or explosion?) and after that, no communication was established. For a modern airliner with FBW and glass cockpit, that could be very, very bad.

Imagine flying without controls/instruments in a thunderstorm at night :(

May they RIP.

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

Latest news say it was a ligthning strike.

Ahem ; "was" is a bit strong. The original (french) statement reads "it may be". And it's no more than (educated ?) guesses at this time.

in general on such expansive planes crashes (i still hope it didn't ....) are due do a maintenance error

Kof kof kof...

Better don't say too much so soon. The plane has crashed (out of fuel at this time, that's certain), but apart from that fact... Wait & see.

Sad news, anyway...

Az'

spacer.png

Well could someone explain what exactly could go wrong when a lightning strikes modern aircraft, and what kind of protection they have against it? Also is there any possibility of physical damage caused by lightning - like tearing parts of wings, tail, etc.?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

80 women,7 children,1 baby...very sad indeed.

Most of them brazilians (58 ),french (61) and germans (26) .I fly 6 times a year on an A330-300 with my wife and my baby.....

Air France has already released a condolences message:

http://alphasite.airfrance.com/s01/

"The Airbus A330-200 aircraft, registration F-GZCP, left Rio on 31 May at 7:03pm local time (12:03am in Paris). The aircraft hit a zone of stormy weather with strong turbulence at 2am this morning (universal time), i.e. 4am in Paris. An automatic message was received from the aircraft at 2:14am (4:14am in Paris) indicating a failure in the electric circuit in an area a long way off the coast."

Edited by dawestsides

Hate this stuff to happen, makes me think if it was me or someone I know. :(

Hope there are survivors no matter how unlikely it is.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

in general on such expansive planes crashes (i still hope it didn't ....) are due do a maintenance error

Incorrect, most are due to pilots error.

Well could someone explain what exactly could go wrong when a lightning strikes modern aircraft' date=' and what kind of protection they have against it? Also is there any possibility of physical damage caused by lightning - like tearing parts of wings, tail, etc.?[/quote']

A lightning could cause rupture/burn outs both on metalic or composite structure. There are no recorded cases of lightning strikes that have led to structural damage of such a magnitude that could down a plane. It mostly affects avionics and especialy radio nav/comm equipement. Because all components of the plane are electrically bonded (equalized electrical potentials) the charge will go through the entire plane and go out through the static dischargers and various antennas. There might be an instant electrical overload but that's why you have circuit brakers on all systems (mulitple CB's for essential systems like flight control computers for example).

I don't buy this lightning story at all. Long before the 3rd hour of the flight when contact has been lost the aircraft has been flying at flight level where lightnings are not happening. Even we assume some huge CB cloud in the middle of the ocean they've had plenty of time to detect it and fly around it.

This accident reminds me to the TWA 747 crash in 1996 near canadian atlantic coast. I believe the reason is either manufacture or human (pilot or maintenance) error.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I think physically the aircraft itself can withstand the lightning strike. There might be some potential possibility of igniting fuel etc, but probably one of the biggest problems is the fact that the A330 is an FBW aircraft: The amount of electricity introduced into the circuits from a lightning bolt can probably fry all those electronics without a problem, regardless of shielding.

Well could someone explain what exactly could go wrong when a lightning strikes modern aircraft, and what kind of protection they have against it? Also is there any possibility of physical damage caused by lightning - like tearing parts of wings, tail, etc.?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

AirTito, any idea on who is going to investigate it? I know in the USA the NTSB investigates such incidents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I remember a photo of IIRC Bulgarian (correct me if I'm wrong) MiG-29 after a lightning strike, it had a huge hole in it's vertical so I wouldn't completely count out possibility of physical damage after a lightning bolt strike. However FBW controlled aircraft are always more prone to electrical overcharge damage but there should be a mechanical system for control surfaces especially if we're talking airliners!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I was in the airplane flying from Moscow to New York when we got hit by lightening. There was a flesh on the right side of the airplane but we did not feel anything in the cab. Few minutes after it happened, the pilot told us about the lightening and that everything was all right ...

Well, not everything was all right because we had to divert and lend in Frankfurt. We were too heavy to land so pilot dumped some fuel. We never did get any official statement what exactly was wrong with the airplane. But we ended up landing normally and did not feel any problem in the cab.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit