Flying in Arma 2

Blacknemisis

Ive got ARMA2 on pre order, and i was really hoping with this release there would be some active cockpit targeting systems, even if they are basic. Rather than ARMA1's arcade type. Has anything changed in this area?

I just want to fly ED's KA50 over the ARMA2 Battlefield, is that too much to ask? ;) these two super powers need to create an alliance.

I just want to fly ED's KA50 over the ARMA2 Battlefield, is that too much to ask? ;) these two super powers need to create an alliance.

Yes. We wish! While they're at it, they must team up with Esim for Steel-Beasts-like armour simulation. Paradise!

Ive got ARMA2 on pre order, and i was really hoping with this release there would be some active cockpit targeting systems, even if they are basic. Rather than ARMA1's arcade type. Has anything changed in this area?

much the same as aa1 , however there is slight improvements on flight models .

with time it will get better.

Yes, I see in the screen shots its the same arcade targeting as Arma1 and all planes/helos use the same system with the silly screen at the top of your view. I really wish they would change it to a simple radar with a target designator for A2A and a simple TV display with a target designator for A2G. I would think that would be a simple task and major improvement.

You'll have a blast no doubt, controls and flight models are a little sloppy compared to Black Shark, and trust me the terrain is nice, but it definitely has problems with altitude. If you want the longest draw distance at the press screenshot rez, you better have a SUPER computer to get the frame rates you want.

What is a LOT of fun actually is the gunner position in either the Cobra/Hind or 52. After disposing any armor (literally tab target and fire and forget hellfires/vics) the fun begins. The guncam in the helicopters is great fun. Those guns make quick work of the ground troops you need to clear out...tracer fire/riccoche looks great as well. The way the dust kicks up is quite powerful as well.

Hey guys, i been going back and forth on whether or not I should just download the german release, and I almost went ahead and did it this morning, but I backed out due to not understanding what it was saying (in german).

i was checking out the "petesgames" that was linked in the other thread "ofpdr or arma2" blah blah blah

anyway the part that spooks me is when you go to check out, it has these other boxes that either need to be checked or unchecked depending on your preferences, and as close as I can tell, I think one of the boxes is asking if you would like a hard copy dvd back up sent to you for an additional charge, and then the box under that, I think it might be asking if you want to pay for like one additional download or something.

So would I be correct in assuming any of that, can you guys help me figure this out please?

Also if I buy from there, and I dont check either of the boxes, does that mean that I only get to download it once, and thats it? I have a feeling im going to be either getting a new hardrive, or reformatting this one at some point in the not too distant future, and I dont want to have to pay for the game twice.

Thanks.

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

Hey guys, i been going back and forth on whether or not I should just download the german release.

The english release is only a few weeks away, I'd hold off and pre-order the English version. Ive read the English release is suppose a more complete package and im guessing will be patched already. Well the Steam DL should be anyhow.

I really wish they would change it to a simple radar with a target designator for A2A and a simple TV display with a target designator for A2G. I would think that would be a simple task and major improvement.

Agree totally here. About two years ago I grew a little tired of foot soldiering mostly in DOD and then Red Orchestra. These days though although I still enjoy RO tanking now and then, im almost exclusivly flying. Anyway last year I loaded up ARMA1 patched and modded to ARMA Extreme thinking I might enjoy transporting troops, and flying CAS. So I configure my HOTAS/PEDALS/TIR and jumped in. To be honest it was fun flying but the flight dynamics were less than exceptable even compared to EECH1/2. Ultimatly though it was the lack of simple targeting systems that made it easy for me to drop the game and wait for ARMA2. I love flying DCS BS as a flight simulator but the scripted AI lets the sim down, often making community created missions a single fly then discard, as on the second flight we all know where the enemy is going to be and how it is going to react. Why is that nobody puts reasonable quality flight models into massive multiplay games. Are they just targeting teenagers, or is it just too much work? The recent emergence of variations of zombie kill type games make think 13-16yo is the target age group. that being said though I have friends in their 30-40's that enjoy zombie coop. Maybe im just out of touch with the mainstream community.

Arma 2 is based on the VBS engine, a ground force engine to train soldiers. not a Land and Air sim. The Air side is just an added extra. You want get LO/BS FMs is... if you want to fly a plane with a decent FM fire up LO/BS.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Actually since the latest patch the helos fly quite good although lack of multicontroller support makes it not as good as it could be. For Arma the jets need a little more attention and it could be 100 times better than what it is with that bit fixed. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

the air units are origanaly designed to be flowen by mouse/keyboard or simple joystick not a HOTAS....

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I'm having a BLAST with ARMA 2.

THIS is how ARMA should be played...GREAT teamwork, no lonewolfs.

Anyway, just a great experience...despite the foul flight/target models of the planes...they're awesome to watch and have on your shoulders as a tiny insignificant ground soldier :)

ArmA co-op is something else, isn't it? (don't have ArmA II yet). The feeling when working with a decent group using voice comms in such a huge world is so atmospheric it can be amazing.

My best experience in ArmA was in a "Vietnam, the experience" mod server (it was a theme night). Our 2 squads of 8 were dropped in a clearing in the jungle and were tasked with "search and destroy" mission with a route set by command. There were a couple of regular squads playing and their senior members took on the role of squad leaders, co-ordinating our sweep.

Due to their leadership( and good team co-ordination) almost every firefight was in our favour with allied casualties being few and far between. Even so, it was a tense, multi-hour operation - fantastic.

As for the flight side of ArmA - I've never really gotten into it except for using little birds as transport. Unlike OFP, I found it's helicopter controls to be most suited to a joypad as the simplified collective "neutral" (no up/down) occurs when the collective control is centred. Of course this scheme also works for a CH HOTAS which can combine all the axes together into one virtual stick (just remember to keep "centering" the collective).

Edited by scatter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Australian Air Force

Game looks pretty good, but does it let you choose which side you play on in multiplayer ? Thats the problem I found with ArmA, waaaay too many co-op vs. AI servers. I don't see the attraction. It's like beating up retards, no challenge.

If you can play op-for, I'm in.

I initially thought player vs player would be WAY more fun, but honestly a large group of human players vs AI is just as much fun. Although it's different, they're both VERY challenging and the AI in ARMA 2 is a fairly difficult opponent.

I'm enjoying the multiplayer component more and more...I've completely abaonded the desire to play the campaign (no disrespect to the campaign, just multiplayer is way more fun). You get the full battle experience and I'm having the most fun I've ever had in a ground based war sim.

Squads in ARMA 2 (and ARMA) will REALLY add to the game experience. CO's could setup practice ranges and MOAT drills etc...those of you know and who play ARMA know that you're dead if you're alone.

The problam with large groups of players in ArmA is that it's always a challenge to get everyone on the same page unless it's clan vs clan

Yeah big time, if you can get 4-5 guys to stick with all times it not too bad. Most of the servers have everybody concentrating on one front so you're never too far from anybody.

not sure...there's no real technical data that the players can really pull from ARMA gameplay except for tactics really. The flight models are over simplified and the ground vehicles as well...only thing I could see them going into detail about are the weapons...and you could just WIKI search them on your own.

Falcon/Black shark most of the manuel is describing how various systems otherwise overlooked function so that when you turn that on you know exactly what's happening inside the combustion chamber.

This is all my personal opinion after all, I'm not sure exactly HOW detailed ARMA 2 is beyond weapon/ballistics sections of the game.

not sure...there's no real technical data that the players can really pull from ARMA gameplay except for tactics really. The flight models are over simplified and the ground vehicles as well...only thing I could see them going into detail about are the weapons...and you could just WIKI search them on your own.

Yeah, Operation Flashpoint and Arma (same game) are infantry "simulators" that do very well in that respect, but the vehicles are mostly throwaways. I remember it was fun to jump into an M113 Vulcan and raise hell, though. :D