The T-50 (PAK-FA) Thread

nscode

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same reason that every Mach 2 aircraft has'em?

Fine, if it's max speed is only Mach 2, then why the high sweep angles and variable intakes?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Same reason that every Mach 2 aircraft has'em?

Aircraft with fixed intakes like F-22 and F-16 are limit to Mach 2. Aircraft with variable intakes can go faster, like the Su-27 at Mach 2.35, F-15 at Mach 2.5, and so on. The T-50's variable intakes and high sweep angles doesn't make sense for Mach 2 limit.

Some misinformation here. The F-16 has a pitot intake, the F-22 has DSI. You can reach Mach 2 with either if your engine inherently produces enough thrust at high speed, it's just that the intakes with DSI or ramps will be operating more efficiently at Mach 2.

Variable ramp intakes offer even better efficiency at high speed but also bring increased weight and RCS. It's all about overall design goals.

The general consensus among modern fighter designers seems to be that getting up to Mach 2 quickly is good but that there's not a fantastically good incentive to go much past that and a lot of incentives not to (extra heating requires different materials, less composites, higher weight, higher RCS etc.). So I expect a lot of fighters will fall into the Mach 2-2.4 range, with multi-role aircraft coming in slightly short of that.

Given that the T-50 has only started external weapons carriage tests earlier this year, I find the claim regarding the dummy weapons part to be rather suspect.

Also, considering that the Indian Air Force thinks that the current T-50 with Izd.117 engines are underpowered, I have a difficult time believing the speed claims. Remember, the new Izd.30 engines won't be out until almost 2020.

Ahem. Su-47 has carried dummy weapons years before T-50 even flew, do you have x-ray vision to say that they haven't been flying with internal weapons for a long long time?

Indian Air Force official says a lot of dumb sh!t. They are better to be ignored. It is amazing how people are just unable to use simple logic.

1: T-50 has more thrust

2: T-50 has less drag

3: Top speed of T-50 is NOT limited by its engine considering for example Su-35S has less thrust, more weight and more drag and yet greater top speed.

Fine, if it's max speed is only Mach 2, then why the high sweep angles and variable intakes?

Not only that, the F-22 max speed is Mach 2, so how is the T-50's max speed less?

Eh, F-22 is not mach 2. It is much faster.

...the F-22 has DSI.

What? F-35 does have it, F-22 as far as i know, doesn't.

What? F-35 does have it, F-22 as far as i know, doesn't.

Partly an educated guess. It can't be operating a pitot and ramps and stealth don't gel.

But then some sources say 2 ramps in a diamond shape but with no substantiating reference.

Aircraft with fixed intakes like F-22 and F-16 are limit to Mach 2.

Yeah sure. Based on what? I mean, what makes it mach 2? Why not mach 1.8? 2.2?

Aircraft with variable intakes can go faster, like the Su-27 at Mach 2.35, F-15 at Mach 2.5, and so on. The T-50's variable intakes and high sweep angles doesn't make sense for Mach 2 limit.

High sweep angles are present in any supersonic aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There isn't actually any hard and fast limit for different types of intake, it's just that total pressure losses are generally greater for pitot than fixed ramp and greater for fixed ramps than variable ramps. Ultimately engine performance will play a large part too.

I've been hearing about this 2016 operational date, but it seems like 2016 is actually the date that the Russian Air Force gets the first production aircraft. So what is it?

Indian Air Force official says a lot of dumb sh!t. They are better to be ignored. It is amazing how people are just unable to use simple logic.

Okay, I'll take note of that. Still, I'm somewhat doubtful of the radioscanner claim.

2016 (31.12.16 to be precise is deadline per MoD doc) is the year when T-50 will achieve IOC and first serial ones will be handed over.

I am also skeptical about the radioscanner quote, as much as i would like for it to be true. But as said, there is no real, reliable source for that quote.

Then what is F-22 speed then? LM says mach 2.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/f22/f-22-specifications.html

http://youtu.be/bCgLdFVppd4?t=10m28s

The T-50 is purposely designed to outperform the F-22.

Mach 2 class, so could also be Mach 2.99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

I suggest you read carefully one more time. After that do some googling. I suggest Paul Metz + interview for starters.

Well, the fact is, we don't actually know how fast the F-22 is. We can guess all we like, but it's not going to be public knowledge for quite some time.

Of course we won't know the exact top speed. We don't need to either. There is plenty of pointers of what *range* the top speed is in, for example from the famous Paul Metz interview.

LM says 'Mach 2 Class', not 'Mach 2.0'.

F-15C's 'can do' M2.5, and on intercepts with two tanks they'll get 1.6 or so.

An F-15C 150nm flat dash intercept is 16+ minutes.

An F-22 does it in 10 minutes and has fuel to spare when it gets there.

You do the math and figure it out.

http://youtu.be/bCgLdFVppd4?t=10m28s

The T-50 is purposely designed to outperform the F-22.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Btw why is it such a big deal if one goes M2.0 and the other goes M2.1 or vice versa? This ain't Formula 1 race. Unless there's a big speed difference it shouldn't matter that much. If high speed was such a huge factor for an air superiority aircraft, then we would have noticed 5th+ gen fighters resembling A-12 and Mig-31. Yet none of the current fighters and the near future concepts presented so far are designed to go that fast.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LM says 'Mach 2 Class', not 'Mach 2.0'.

F-15C's 'can do' M2.5, and on intercepts with two tanks they'll get 1.6 or so.

An F-15C 150nm flat dash intercept is 16+ minutes.

An F-22 does it in 10 minutes and has fuel to spare when it gets there.

You do the math and figure it out.

Paraphrasing last month's Air International. The Eurofighter and the F-22 are the only fighters than can sustain 6+g at over 30,000ft and Mach 1.6. Clearly you need a lot of surplus thrust for that.

Btw why is it such a big deal if one goes M2.0 and the other goes M2.1 or vice versa? This ain't Formula 1 race. Unless there's a big speed difference it shouldn't matter that much. If high speed was such a huge factor for an air superiority aircraft, then we would have noticed 5th+ gen fighters resembling A-12 and Mig-31. Yet none of the current fighters and the near future concepts presented so far are designed to go that fast.

Agreed. And apparently so does VVS. Same thing with some uninformed fanboyz either believing that T-50 will carry more than 6 missiles internally or act like they hold teh thruthz that it *does* carry more than 6. (with no proof to back it)

Another important point is this:

Flat dash intercept for 150nm is accomplished in 16+ minutes with an F-15C, but about 10.5 minutes with an F-22. The F-22 also arrives with fuel to spare.

What's the source? Because it's pretty amazing if true. That's an average of 980 mph or Mach 1.48 from takeoff.

Agreed. And apparently so does VVS. Same thing with some uninformed fanboyz either believing that T-50 will carry more than 6 missiles internally or act like they hold teh thruthz that it *does* carry more than 6. (with no proof to back it)

To be clear, is it 4 izd.180 and 2 izd.760? Though out of curiosity, what is preventing them from putting 3 izd.180 in each main bay?

Edited by BronzeBuddha

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New prototype?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4