Cry Engine 3 possible on DCS?

Dr. Mitsos

Opened this thread to discuss if Crytek's Cry Engine 3 is possible to be adapted by ED and then customized to meet certain flight sim needs. Take a look here

Personally i think it would be awesome!

Edited by Dr. Mitsos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Parachutes are like minds.. They work better when they are open..

Highly unlikely. Why would ED rip out their own engine that they're working on, make a huge mess and extra work for themselves for something they will have to pay lots of money for?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ehm, a question: what makes you think that Cry3 would be usable for a product like DCS?

The types of physics calculations are completely different. CryEngine is made to offer visual effects in a shooter-oriented setting, whereas DCS is made to offer realistic simulations of aircraft behaviour. I guess you could possibly get a source code license and use it to make visuals for a simulator, but the physics part would be pointless.

"You can create your scenacio quickly with the visual scripting capabilities of our FlowGraph editor. It allows for designers to connect entities in a logical order without having to touch a single line of code."

That is aeons away from what a product like DCS requires, although it is also sufficiently vague marketspeak to be able to mean pretty much anything.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Also, Cryengine is not designed to provide credible visuals for med-high altitude, 30Km radius' scenery, which is basically atmospheric effects and clever, non-tiling texturing. So at more than 1-2Km you get an image as awful as ARMA II's terrain at 5-10Km.

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

Yep i andertand the limitations most of them have to do with "bussines anderstanding" and "money managing". But what about expanding cry engine to meet flight sim requirements? Imagine ED engine and cry engine 3 combined!

Wouldn't be AWESOME??

Anyway... I hope for a future visual improvement in ground (targets, cities, buildings etc) for DCS, because air models such as Ka-50 and future A-10 ROCK!!!

ED keep up the good work!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why would you want the DCS engine to run like crap? The CryEngine would push the system specs through the roof! I like playing my game with maxed settings with good frame rates and decent graphics. I think the KA50 model in DCS Black Shark is good enough, and I could honestly care less about the terrain and seeing every individual grass grain. All I want is a game that looks good, runs good, and simulates an aircraft good, and DCS: Black Shark's engine, currently does this fine.

Yep i andertand the limitations most of them have to do with "bussines anderstanding" and "money managing". But what about expanding cry engine to meet flight sim requirements? Imagine ED engine and cry engine 3 combined!

Wouldn't be AWESOME??

Anyway... I hope for a future visual improvement in ground (targets, cities, buildings etc) for DCS, because air models such as Ka-50 and future A-10 ROCK!!!

ED keep up the good work!

It would have to be very [and I mean VERY] heavily modified to even meet DCS standerds and I don't mean visualy.

The Cry Engine is not built for Flight Sims like DCS, more like HAWX.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Well, Crysis and CryEngine 2 were mostly built with graphics and terrain detail in mind. But actually, a guy named CWright along with a few other people giving some assistance, is doing a pretty good job of building a somewhat realistic flight engine into the game. Its no where as realistic as black shark and 6dof, but its not bad. Right now he has released a B-25 and a Spitfire that at least let us get up into the clouds and take a look around and the view is pretty good! Much better than I expected. Coming out next is an F4 and a Mig 19, maybe an F16, and these will have much better flight engines. Also an Osprey tilt rotor which is going to be neat. If anyone knows coding, modeling, etc. and wants to help, he might want some assistance. You can find him at

Crymod.com.

I personally think that merging FPS games with realistic flight sims like Black Shark is the future. Black Shark has an excellent aircraft sim, but come on, you've got to admit, the terrain and ground objects are so 1990.

I was going to put a link to his main thread here, but now I see he has a couple of new ones started. So, just search for the name CWright.

Edited by Logan9773

Why would you want the DCS engine to run like crap? The CryEngine would push the system specs through the roof! I like playing my game with maxed settings with good frame rates and decent graphics. I think the KA50 model in DCS Black Shark is good enough, and I could honestly care less about the terrain and seeing every individual grass grain. All I want is a game that looks good, runs good, and simulates an aircraft good, and DCS: Black Shark's engine, currently does this fine.

Exactly!!! But some people want ground realism - detail...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You guys look at youtube vids, eventualy some technical details given on there websites and then you come over here and make a guess that ED can use the engine... WHY?

Aren`t you guys think that ED is aware of new developments? Do you think that they sit in there offices and don`t look out of the window?

• Like 1

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

why on earth would you want to use an FPS engine for a flightsim?!?

A simulation should be more about...simulation... not eye candy.

...now collideable trees... thats the only thing thats missing

Win 10pro x64 | i5 2500 | 16GB RAM | GTX1060 6GB | Logitech G940 | Tir5 + TC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Sometimes we really do not look out of the window. It is called "release rush" ;)

But seriously, my view on the situation with CryEngine in DCS:

1) from informed sources, crysis source code is a horrible mess (like almost any complex, break-through game).

2) there're no shipped titles, based on cryengine 3

3) we are definitely capable of releasing new products on our own technology.

So, there's no guarantee that it is possible to create a DCS-level simulator on a CryEngine3.

What if we start to create next DCS sim on a CE3, and get stuck into some engine deficiency in the middle of the process? And note, this is a huge, complex engine written by people who did only FPS all their life. It can easily get to the point that this engine need a complete rewrite. As a result you will never ever get any DCS: xxx at all.

So, we will just humbly, painfully continue to develop our own, may be not spectacular, but definitely good working technology.

And you really don't have an option to have CE3 in DCS ;)

• Like 1

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

1) from informed sources, crysis source code is a horrible mess (like almost any complex, break-through game).

Bad enough to make grown men cry? :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Bad enough to make grown men cry? :music_whistling:

soccerfoul.jpg

I would say so...........:music_whistling:

:P

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Ok i got it. Many limitations. Maybe after all CE3 aint good at all! Opened this thread cause i saw this...

Why they ever give a licence when the game engine cant be used for?

But my bad it seems...

I was hust speaking "hypothetically"...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CE3 is a pretty nice engine, very good - but it's good for those things it was originally designed to do. Like someone said - it's probably quite nice for "simulations" in the style of HAWX (which is sadly where the major money is at) and could probably make some pretty neat "simulations" in the style of the flying we saw in Battlefield 2 where you need good ground detail but don't have to have the massive view distances that a simulation like DCS would require.

Difficult to say if CE3 would be able to run the level of detail physics that DCS requires, but I highly doubt it. I've not seen anything that would indicate such a capability - much better to use something that is purpose-built for this. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester