Saitek X45 joystick is not smooth, can I lubricate it?

• 3 months later...

sticky X-45

As for the sticking and binding, well this has been a thorn in my side for many years. I could not hold my position in formations, snap moves and the stick made sounds that one would only hear coming from two pigs under a blanket. Very frustrating to say the least, I tried everything that people had suggested…oil, grease, silicon, lithium grease, dryer sheets, zip ties, bread bag ties and the results were always the same. So one night after 2 or 3 Jack & cokes I broke the golden rule and opened the stick up. Not something I would recommend unless you’re willing to buy another stick is something goes wrong. I looked around and could not see anything wrong or any reason why it was binding and sticking until I found a little black triangular piece of plastic, and it was small. After a closer inspection I had discovered that there was a fracture plastic ring which the shaft moved around on. And the pieces were causing the flat ring to jam up the movement of the stick. This was or had to be the cause of all my misery I thought. So I found what I thought would be a reasonable substitution (top of a plastic coffee can) cut it out and put it in the stick and all my frustration was over and the stick worked and sounded like a charm. Big negative on that, the thing still binds a makes that god awful sound to this very day.

X-45disk.jpg

This is what was inside! I used masking tape to hold it together.

44th_Willy p.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://44thvfw.org

• 5 months later...
I have an old Saitek X45 joystick from a few years ago. I just got it out of storage and it seems to have become noticeably less smooth. I'm just wondering if there is a way to lubricate it and if so, what sorts of lubs are OK?

have owned a X45 for some time - DO NOT LUBRICATE WITH ANY LIQUIDS. Clean off if already done so.

Simply tip talcum powder onto the top of the joystick base and allow the powder to penetrate the swivel on the base, clean off excess - Bingo, problem solved (smooth as a baby's bottom):joystick:.

Tamiya Ceramic Grease

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Useless Saitek

You know what I don't get. What is Saitek's problem? are they really that bad of a company? I mean, how many times do people have to complain about something before their engineers realise that some thing is not working properly? This problem crops up all the time. I have a X52 and the same problem. Its a terrible and unforgivable design flaw.

X45 has it, X52 has it, X52"pro" has it.

I will never buy a Saitek stick again.

But, we have lots of new solutions to try so thanks! The one thing I have always tried to get my hands on that I think might fix it, is that white Grease you get on the plastic gears of radio controlled cars and on the mechanisms of Optical drives. Silicone grease supposedly, but I'll be dammed if I can buy any of that here in Ireland. I must have bought about 5 different types of silicone grease and none of them are anything like that white stuff. And when you ask...blank stare.. :music_whistling:

Putting cable ties on the spring helped most for me so far, but it definitely needs some lube.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

That is the Ceramic Grease I mentioned

or perhaps their anti-wear grease, which they use in the rc diffs, its supposed to be thicker and gooeyer?

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 1 year later...

I remember a mod that substitutes the X52 spring with oil dumpeners (Shock absorbers) of R/C cars suspenssion system. So no pressure on trim disk under spring, sticking and binding, etc. You also had the option of making the stick stay where you let it or recover back to ballancing position. But i can't find it any more.

Any ? :(

Edited by sungsam

DCS F16C 52+ w JHMCS ! DCS AH64D Longbow !

• 4 years later...

I'm never in a hurry to use motor oil or other products on plastics I've seen that go pair shape before, go to an RC hobby shop (or on line) and get a grease/lubricant designed for plastics. Just saying.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have any experience and can detail the respringing process for this joystick, and what spring they used, and their results? The stick is very stiff around the center, theres is a good "dead zone" of force where I am applying increasing force but the stick doesn't move, finally it will "snap" out of the detent causing a big jerk in the stick, obviously not good for holding a formation, or flying helicopter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Saitek x45 Hotas

Canadian!