Issue with F-15 radar or feature?

Just noticed the F-15 radar started to give hard lock warning when in HOJ mode.

Is this on purpose or we got another broken thing after fixing other bugs?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

This is actuall since FC 2.0.

It also goes into STT sometimes when you have TWS selected and you lock a target up under 20 miles. I have had this happen a few times.

This happens, if the target has ECM on but you are in/ under burn-through range. I think, TWS has not enough power for the burn through lock, so the radar swichtes in STT. New since FC 2.0, too.

kind regards,

fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

didn't they move burn-through range back? In 1.12 it use to be 12nm now I don't know what it is.

They move the range out. About 12nm in FC 1.12, now about 25nm for smaller fighter-ECMs and i think, 12nm for powerfull ECM by bombers.

But the TWS-mode don't have the power like the RWS/STT mode. That's why you lost a lock on a target, which maneuver hard, with TWS earlier as with STT. Same for burn-through power (lock) ... i think.

kind regards,

fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what is hard lock?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

Im assuming the lock warning also happens in TWS?

Sounds like a good feature to me, if true... :P

Will do some testing on this later...

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

No thats always been there you just havent got'en close enough for it to kick in..:joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Nope thats the beauty of TEWS no warning for the enemy till the 120 goes active!

This is actuall since FC 2.0.

This happens, if the target has ECM on but you are in/ under burn-through range. I think, TWS has not enough power for the burn through lock, so the radar swichtes in STT. New since FC 2.0, too.

kind regards,

fire

you didnt get it, Im not talking about STT lock after burn through. Im talking about full lock warning when designating a strobe, no matter the range the target is, 25 or 160 miles away. And was subject for patche fixes in previous versions of lockon. Vanilla FC2.0 included.

No you missunderstood, I put emphasis again, lock warning when in HOJ mode, regardless what mode you previouly had, TWS or RWS.

Its making MP an ECM jungle. People are making ECM part of the start up procedure, not to mention more friendly kills.

I'm just wondering if this was made a feature and why (because some ED staff mentioned on previous patches F-15 should give no lock warning in this mode and made this part of bugs to be corrected), or if it got broken again while clearing other bugs.

Edited by Pilotasso

My PC specs below:

I'm just wondering if this was made a feature and why (because some ED staff mentioned on previous patches F-15 should give no lock warning in this mode and made this part of bugs to be corrected), or if it got broken again while clearing other bugs.

My guess is that it is a sideffect of some other fix. Not entirely sure.

Btw with the Fc2 patch installed it IS possible to bug a target tws even though he has

ECM on as long as you have burnthough, unlike both std 2.0 and 1.12 :)

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

I noticed that, but we are talking about 2 different things here.

My PC specs below:

Maybe i experienced, if you didnt wrote about this, then sorry :)

If a target isnt heading on you, only around, or beam, or heading home, but use ECM, you will get a stable target in the ECM, if he is in the burn out range, but if you lock him, that is like you lock an ECM. The only advantage is if you broke lock, you know the range, and if the target is already should be in engage, you can shoot your AMRAAMS. I never fly in F-15, but i think its true for all aircrafts :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hard to decrypt your post here, but if I understand correctly having a stable lock on a retreating target just because hes also jamming means hes above 25 miles and it cant be reachable anyway, (infact you know nothing about what your locked on) which is useless. This is hardly an excuse for "I give, I take away" compromise philosofy you seem to be hinting at when fixing bugs, or else we are forever stuck with arcade features.

Edited by Pilotasso

My PC specs below:

Russian radars AFAIK as stated by ED staff referring to manuals employ a different method for ECCM than eagles. F-15's do ECCM by software as much as frequency hoping (not modeled) to bypass the frequency of the jammer and/or estimate target position based on ELINT (based on jammer signal strength, method of jamming etc), russian radars with a weaker signal processor do it via frequency swiching to guidance mode, thus giving lock warning...aarhgh :S sounds bad, maybe someone else can explain better.

Edited by Pilotasso

My PC specs below:

No, they shouldn't. Believe it or not, the F-15 has a lot more passive sensing/engagement capability than the Russian birds ever did when it comes to the radar and TEWS.

When it comes to ECCM and jamming though, nothing really works as (some of us assume) it ought. You should pretty much never see a strobe from a fighter until you try to lock it, which would give you the warning, and then the jammer would fire up to break the lock. This also means TWS would not trigger your jammer.

Just curious but why wouldn't this apply to the Russian A/C too? Shouldn't they also be able to Silently Lock a jamming target?

Nate

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If it is indeed a bug and not an implementation... then there is a possibility it could be related to EOS giving a lock warning bug, in rear aspect beyond 25km it sometimes gives a constant lock, even though u are clearly picking up an IR contact, and having an IR missile selected... although it seems to only happen the 'first' time you do it after loading into a fresh mission... although i do remember similar things happening even back in 1.12, so it could just be net related...

So the key question here is, does this F15 HOJ lock thing happen 100% of the time?

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

It seems a constant thing as soon as ECM is emmiting. They are either F-15's or realy fast SA-15 batteries :D

My PC specs below:

If it is indeed a bug and not an implementation... then there is a possibility it could be related to EOS giving a lock warning bug, in rear aspect beyond 25km it sometimes gives a constant lock, even though u are clearly picking up an IR contact, and having an IR missile selected... although it seems to only happen the 'first' time you do it after loading into a fresh mission... although i do remember similar things happening even back in 1.12, so it could just be net related...

So the key question here is, does this F15 HOJ lock thing happen 100% of the time?

When EOS exceeds a certain range it uses radar for rangefinding, instead of a laser.

This is how the real system operates. Whether this ingame result was the intention of

the developers or a sideffect of something else I do not know.

Normally lasers cannot do much more than 10 km under normal conditions.

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

It seems a constant thing as soon as ECM is emmiting. They are either F-15's or realy fast SA-15 batteries :D

I know you are joking, but many people miss this. Air contacts have a chevron (upside down V) over air contacts in the TEWS. That is how you tell if it is a F-15 or SA-15.