DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

1) With a Logitech G940 force feedback HOTAS, should I not get some sort of vibration in the stick when the cannon is fired? I'm getting nothing.....

IIRC - No, you will not get feedback.

..2) Please help me find a dummies guide to getting started, the Quick Start does not seem to address how to setup a HOTAS. By default controls are mapped that make no sense. Please help me find where to begin.....

Have a look at the linked profile that replicates the HOTAS Warthog as close as reasonably possible:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=998485&postcount=32

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Make sure your Pinky Switch is in the rear (for set-per-panel lighting) or forward (standard lighting) stage. If it's in the middle that's "no lights" mode. With some controllers you'll need to change it's setting then set it back for it to properly register.

Air Brakes

For some unknown reason, when I use my airbrakes (assigned to Y rotary on Saitek Pro) all of my systems in the plane lock up. There is no conflict with other assignments. I have reset the airbrakes in flight and to no avail. Anybody have any ideas?:surrender:

Hey all!

Since 1.1.0.8. or 1.1.0.9. patch the JTAC is not responding for me. There is a precise guide below the DCS Wiki how it works, but several operations were changed, example FAC - Assign option does not exists anymore. Anyhow I select a radio will not show an available JTAC (F4) in any freq AM or FM.

Edited by AkeR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello.. i have a question... its bin hours since ive bin trying to figure out the Wheel brake problem... i mean seriously.. no Parking brakes?! while starting up the engines my plane starts to roll forward without me noticing most of the time... do i really have to hold the Brake key? and start up at the same time? so what would happen if u shut down ur plane at the parking and leave the jet unattended.. and suddenly some storm comes in rolling the A-10s away... :badmood: .... If theres any way to fix this or any key map... Pls do tell.. Thanks..

Vamp

Hello.. i have a question... its bin hours since ive bin trying to figure out the Wheel brake problem... i mean seriously.. no Parking brakes?! while starting up the engines my plane starts to roll forward without me noticing most of the time... do i really have to hold the Brake key? and start up at the same time? so what would happen if u shut down ur plane at the parking and leave the jet unattended.. and suddenly some storm comes in rolling the A-10s away... :badmood: .... If theres any way to fix this or any key map... Pls do tell.. Thanks..

Vamp

The A-10 doesn´t have any parking brakes in reality, instead they rely on blocks next to the wheel, since this is not modeled in DCS you unfortunaly gonna have to hold the brakes or engage the Emg Brake.

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

....or engage the Emg Brake.

The emergency brake system still requires you to apply the brakes via the pedals (or keyboard), it just use the right hydraulic systems instead of the left.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Here is the trick to catch the catch!

• Press the Wheel Brake On/Off 'W' key.
  • Do not release it
  • Hit the 'Pause' key
  • Release the 'W' key
  • Unpause the sim

At this point, from the sim point of view, the 'W' key is held down until you release it with an extra key press-release.

Since 1.1.0.8. or 1.1.0.9. patch the JTAC is not responding for me. There is a precise guide below the DCS Wiki how it works, but several operations were changed, example FAC - Assign option does not exists anymore. Anyhow I select a radio will not show an available JTAC (F4) in any freq AM or FM.

If it doesn't appear then it hasn't become active yet, or it doesn't have a valid callsign/frequency to be active on. It sounds like you're using your own custom mission for this? If so, you might want to create a thread in the mission builder's subforum and attach your mission. There's also a thread there "Predator as JTAC" that you might want to read through first - might give you a nudge in the right direction.

The emergency brake system still requires you to apply the brakes via the pedals (or keyboard), it just use the right hydraulic systems instead of the left.

Haha now I understand why it brakes so slowly during Emg Landings :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

To stop the aircraft from rolling during the startup-process, engage NWS prior to engine-startup.

You can also program a parking-brake, using your TARGET, SST or whatever Stick and Profile-Software you use:

Push Button once: press "W"

Push button again: release "W"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

The A-10 doesn´t have any parking brakes in reality, instead they rely on blocks next to the wheel, since this is not modeled in DCS you unfortunaly gonna have to hold the brakes or engage the Emg Brake.

Yeah ur probably right.. but the thing abt EMG brake is wrong... Thanks... and what i suggest is that those blocks ur talking abt should be in the game... and theen u can contact the ground crew to remove them when ur done starting up... and place them when ur shutting down..

Here is the trick to catch the catch!

• Press the Wheel Brake On/Off 'W' key.
  • Do not release it
  • Hit the 'Pause' key
  • Release the 'W' key
  • Unpause the sim

At this point, from the sim point of view, the 'W' key is held down until you release it with an extra key press-release.

Yeap thats the only trick i use.. Thanks

Edited by Vampiresquid

if you have a keyboard with macro... assign w on one, and set it as you need press again the key for release it ( so the w is pressed continuously untill you use the key again ) .

I believe, in a real A10, the ground team, remove the block on the wheel when you are ready to taxi .

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

Well, I have finally finished the first training mission -- after dozens of times trying to learn various aircraft/weapons features. Now, when I tried an instant mission and get into a more involved combat situation, I find myself confused about how to deal with threats.

My question is this: Say I am flying into an area and I suddenly see the threat indicator light up. I see that it is coming in at 30 degrees, but I immediately turn and fly as quickly as I can toward a hill in the opposite direction so that I can hide behind it, and from there, get out of range the best I can.

Now that the radar warning has stopped, all I know there is a threat somewhere back there, but nothing will show on the TAD, of course. Is the idea now that I simply start flying around trying to find the baddie with my TGP? I find myself scanning endlessly over vast areas and can't ever seem to find anything that way. I feel like a real pilot would have some sort of logical system for zero-ing in on the threat efficiently, but I can't figure out what that system is. I feel like I am missing something important here.

Can someone help share some combat tactics regarding the way he deals with threats appearing on his display?

=====================================

Intel I7-6700 32GB RAM, Krait Z170A, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti 11GB, TrackIR5, TM HOTAS Warthog, MFG pedals, Samsung CRG9 49" monitor, HP Reverb VR, 500GB SSD.

^^^^^^ Other more experienced folks will chime in but what i do is to bait sams and aaa into turning on their radar and firing. If you mind your speed, alt, and distance from the area of the threat (via the tws) then you can evade enemy fire all day long. It gets easier trying to spot the source of the munitions being thrown at you. Since the enemy tend to group together, once one fires then at least one group is now exposed (take care!! Crafty mission designers can ambush you if you drop your guard! Always expect and second or third group that you dont know about).

It's all discipline...don't let yourself get too close to a high threat area. Bait the enemy. Expose them. Use your tad to mark their positions as you spot them, then egress, form an attack plan, and ingress the target area for an informed kill.

I'm very interested to hear others' tactics as well!

Edited by Smoky

Thank you for your quick response, Smoky! Great ideas there! I am seeing that I can more-or-less evade the threats, but trying to find them is extremely difficult after I have taken evasive maneuvers. I just find myself scanning and scanning forever and coming up with nothing. Is there some special technique that I am missing in this regard?

Intel I7-6700 32GB RAM, Krait Z170A, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti 11GB, TrackIR5, TM HOTAS Warthog, MFG pedals, Samsung CRG9 49" monitor, HP Reverb VR, 500GB SSD.

Spot the launch or aaa fire as it happens. Thats how you pinpoint the location. THEN go evasive. Then when you are safe again, mark the position. Takes practice. And it all happens in a few seconds.

It helps to save and replay tracks, especially after a shoot down. Revisit the map, the enemy locations....review the monent a sam went up, tracked you, and killed you, and learn what went wrong. Use the replay external views to pan around during a kill and learn what to look for the next time (eg. What a sam launcher looks like from a distance when it fires, or to recognize the aaa muzzle flash from the air, or how aaa groups around sam and missle batteries, etc...)

Practice!!!

Well, that's certainly different than the way I have been doing it, Smoky! I have been bugging out of there as fast as I get a threat indication, not continuing on to see aaa fire or a missile launched at me. Interesting, as I would have thought that approach was way too risky.

have been bugging out of there as fast as I get a threat indication, not continuing on to see aaa fire or a missile launched at me. Interesting, as I would have thought that approach was way too risky.

I think proper evasion techniques require you to know what you're evading, i.e. to have visual on it (ideally) so you can see what state the incoming missile is in. No point evading a missile if it's not tracking you, for example. And normally the last-ditch evasive method is to break hard into it when it's a few seconds from impact - and you need to know where it is and how quickly it's closing to arrange that.

Getting visual on a missile is pretty tricky on our limited-resolution displays, though. I mean, at least while you still have a chance to do something about it.

Although it's probably also noting that in the real world, your wingman would be providing cover and will fix the location of the launch for you so you can concentrate on evading.

US boxed version

Hello,could someone tell me if the version will be 1109 when the boxed version comes to the US or will it be 1107 and need patched up. I know,I know just download the full version. no rush,I can wait. But I can download the patches ahead of time at my leisure.

Thanks

Ramp Start

For some unknown reason, when I turn on battery power, then the APU switch, the warning signal goes off. I have pushed the fuel gauge switch with no response along with the oxygen. Even when I communicate with the ground crew for external power and they reply that they are finished still no go. Any ideas?