Warthog Microstick

So much for a balanced global launch...I'm surprised by TM, this isn't their first rodeo, so I expected better.

But, maybe there was an announcement that I did'nt catch that there would be a staggered release with the European market getting the first batch.

• Like 1

I remember all the griping when the Cougar was first released years ago and was available in EU a few days before USA. Instead of complain, I just ordered it from that company in Belgium.

Spoiled Americans! :-)

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

I remember all the griping when the Cougar was first released years ago and was available in EU a few days before USA. Instead of complain, I just ordered it from that company in Belgium.

Spoiled Americans! :-)

Big difference between a few days and two weeks+. European retail outlets were getting theirs Oct 25th. US retailers won't get theirs till Nov 5th, meaning customers won't get it till Nov 10th - 16th or so (unless they drop another $100 on overnight to get it the 9th). That's really shitty.

Well don't tell me that if the situation was reversed that you wouldn't be complaining...it stinks for any one market to have to wait for a staged release.

I would think in this day and age of international overseas shipping and how proficient the Chinese are at moving product out of their country that a simultaneous worldwide release would be the norm, I guess not.

Well don't tell me that if the situation was reversed that you wouldn't be complaining...it stinks for any one market to have to wait for a staged release.

Ha! Europe and the US seem to be the only places that anyone is getting the Warthog as yet.

There's not one single supplier advertising the stick in Australia. There's a good bet we'll be waiting a lot longer than your 5 Nov ETA

There is now way TM could do a 100% co-ordintated worldwide launch, unless someone invented teleportation. But then the French teleportation workers would be on strike and the English teleportation workers would be outsourced to India. The Norwegian teleportation workers would be laid off due to exessive import-teleport-ation tax and anyone who ordered from Amazon would still be checking their inboxes hourly for a teleportation-dispatch email.

muttermuttermuttermutter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

^^ lol mate :D I feel your pain!

Completely agree that a worldwide, simultaneous launch would be imposable. I'm just amazed it came to the UK so soon (or not in Coolt's case ;))

@ CrashEd: I don't know if you fixed your slew-problem.... but try this:

Dragon> Yes, I did a similar kind of thing, but I had more of a curve on my axis. I think I will try your method though, as the end point needs to be quite 'high' in order to slew the cursor around quickly in the TAD and the HUD using full deflection.

So, apart from the throttle hat config issues and the beta-release of TARGET, (which I’m not fussed about, although i know others will be flaming the forums about, as, IMO, waiting for a fully mature TARGET would have delayed the HOTAS release, and i would rather play NOW. After all, I’m playing the beta of A-10 and am happy with that.....)

.......what’s it like compared to your existing HOTAS. Can you "contrast and compare" your initial thoughts?

I have a stock Cougar and apart from the centre wobble and uneven spring force, have never had any issues, (although according to these forums that makes me rarer than a unicorn on a moped), and for a long time was contemplating a G940 for the FFB trim ability in DCS:BS. The many reported issues with this HOTAS put me off, but after all the “COUGAR POTS TRASH ROFLOL LMAO” posts I am starting to think that a loud minority can overshadow a content and therefore quiet majority.

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

I think you and I must have the only working, unmodified Cougars in existence! Mine still works, just, although the pots are on their way out as they spike every now and again. Not bad for about 8+ years of service...

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the WH mate, far from it. From what I can tell, Thrustmaster have done an excellent job with this one, compared to the Cougar at least. I think they've had to tbh, as there is a fair bit of competition around at the moment.

Comparing the WH to the Cougar, the WH feels and looks much better IMO. It almost makes the Cougar look, dare I say it, 'cheap' in comparison. The WH is big and meaty, whereas the Cougar is somewhat dainty in comparison :D It's definitely built to last :) I don't like the microstick, but maybe with the right setup and some getting used to it, it will be ok. The coolie hat takes some getting used to. It's easy to accidentally press down rather than left or right; you almost have to pull it towards the top left or right corner when you adjust the MFCDs. This is only the case when you have the throttles forward, it's ok when they are upright. After two days I'm used to it now, so no biggy. I love the new, offset pinky switch (on the stick ;)). It's soooo much easier to operate. The trigger/button tension takes some getting used to, but I like it how it is. It 'feels' realistic - much stronger tension than the Cougar. Throttle tension is easier to set to a decent level, other than on or off on the Cougar.

Just loving the precision and tension on the stick. Ok, I'm used to a stock Cougar, so it will be interesting to see what U2NXT modded Cougar uses think of it. But I think it is top notch. The hall sensors seem to be doing their job nicely - no evidence of spiking/odd behaviour (reaches out for a very woody forest and touches it repeatedly :D)

Like I said before, just having everything to hand and having a realistic A-10C HOTAS that appears to be the dogs doo doos, makes this sim even better than what it already is :D :D

Amazon is useless for hardware.

I disagree Mr Mower. I've bought allsorts of hardware from them over the years including a Nikon D300 kit, X45, X52PRO, Kindle and God knows what else and it's all been delivered without a hitch and bang on time.

Mind you, this is the first Pre Order I've done with them. Let's just see if their despatch date of 29th Oct overruns. :music_whistling:

PC SPECS :

* Intel i7 920 @ 4Ghz | P6T Deluxe V2 | 32Gb DDR RAM | GTX 1070i OC 8 Gb | H50 Water Cooler | Velociraptor 150Gb | Samsung SATA II 1Tb and Samsung 860PRO 512| Prolite 1080p 24" | Logitech G-19 | TM Twin MFD's | TM Warthog | TIR 5 (soon) | Windows 7/64 | My PC | My Blog | My Bikes

Uhmmm, MadDog, what is that "s" doing behind Warthog in your sig????!!!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

I disagree Mr Mower. I've bought allsorts of hardware from them over the years including a Nikon D300 kit, X45, X52PRO, Kindle and God knows what else and it's all been delivered without a hitch and bang on time.

Mind you, this is the first Pre Order I've done with them. Let's just see if their despatch date of 29th Oct overruns. :music_whistling:

Me too. Mind you, its now 2.30pm and still no, "dispatched", email. When i pre-order games from Amazon they always dispatch the day before release so you get the game the day it launches. [iNSERT PICTURE OF TICKING CLOCK]

I don't like the microstick, but maybe with the right setup and some getting used to it, it will be ok. The coolie hat takes some getting used to. It's easy to accidentally press down rather than left or right; you almost have to pull it towards the top left or right corner when you adjust the MFCDs. This is only the case when you have the throttles forward, it's ok when they are upright.

I always had that on the Cougar TBH. A side product of having an axis control attached to something else that pivots, (the throttle handle). Offest angle required for Left and Right change when moving the throttle back and forward. Made slewing the cursors interesting. (Anyone remember VIRUS on the Amiga or ZARCH on Archimedes? Same thing. Completely mental control system. Required re-wiring your brain to handle correctly)

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think you and I must have the only working, unmodified Cougars in existence! Mine still works, just, although the pots are on their way out as they spike every now and again. Not bad for about 8+ years of service...

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the WH mate, far from it. From what I can tell, Thrustmaster have done an excellent job with this one, compared to the Cougar at least. I think they've had to tbh, as there is a fair bit of competition around at the moment.

Comparing the WH to the Cougar, the WH feels and looks much better IMO. It almost makes the Cougar look, dare I say it, 'cheap' in comparison. The WH is big and meaty, whereas the Cougar is somewhat dainty in comparison :D It's definitely built to last :) I don't like the microstick, but maybe with the right setup and some getting used to it, it will be ok. The coolie hat takes some getting used to. It's easy to accidentally press down rather than left or right; you almost have to pull it towards the top left or right corner when you adjust the MFCDs. This is only the case when you have the throttles forward, it's ok when they are upright. After two days I'm used to it now, so no biggy. I love the new, offset pinky switch (on the stick ;)). It's soooo much easier to operate. The trigger/button tension takes some getting used to, but I like it how it is. It 'feels' realistic - much stronger tension than the Cougar. Throttle tension is easier to set to a decent level, other than on or off on the Cougar.

Just loving the precision and tension on the stick. Ok, I'm used to a stock Cougar, so it will be interesting to see what U2NXT modded Cougar uses think of it. But I think it is top notch. The hall sensors seem to be doing their job nicely - no evidence of spiking/odd behaviour (reaches out for a very woody forest and touches it repeatedly :D)

Like I said before, just having everything to hand and having a realistic A-10C HOTAS that appears to be the dogs doo doos, makes this sim even better than what it already is :D :D

Not quite, mines still unmodded as well :) Although I have had issues with a knackered Pot from day one with my Ant Elev, Although managed to live with it ok. Still a great stick, if a looking a little battle worn by now, Shes working a treat on A10, although I think her retirement days are coming up, As the WH is on the way. If the WH is even half as good as this stick was, then I'll be a very happy man.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Wow, three 'working' Cougars in one country. Must be a record! Plenty of life left in mine, but it will be going into hibernation for the unforeseeable future ;)

Know what you mean about the microstick, Coolts. I'm teaching myself to pivot my hand over the throttle when it's on full tilt (or at least >80%). It seems to help a bit. I do believe that there is an element of code tweaking needed in A-10C though. The TGP pod seems to be easily controllable when zoomed out. However, when zoomed in it would be easier to control it whilst being pi$$ed on Titanic. It's a bit of a handful. A small amount of, ahem, 'axis tweaking' is required to make it a bit more tame. I think I'll post in the beta forum regarding this...

Will be interesting to see what you make if it.

EDIT> Microstick problem reported by Dragon here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1016091#post1016091

Edited by CrashEd

.......it would be easier to control it whilst being pi$$ed on Titanic.....

:thumbup: :lol: :thumbup:

PC SPECS :

* Intel i7 920 @ 4Ghz | P6T Deluxe V2 | 32Gb DDR RAM | GTX 1070i OC 8 Gb | H50 Water Cooler | Velociraptor 150Gb | Samsung SATA II 1Tb and Samsung 860PRO 512| Prolite 1080p 24" | Logitech G-19 | TM Twin MFD's | TM Warthog | TIR 5 (soon) | Windows 7/64 | My PC | My Blog | My Bikes

BLT is now showing Nov 10th as the ETA for it's west coast warehouse and "None" for east coast...

wow I guess that Strike over there is really messing them up.

I wouldn't plan on seeing this HOTAS until after Christmas then.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Er, as you're in the US of A you clearly haven't noticed that for the other 99.9% of everything the shoe is, quite literally, on the other foot.

US release for most things (films especially) is usually at least 1 week ahead.