Inflight refueling

RogueRunner

Are the tanker lights not described in the manual?

Can anyone give me idea where to find more information on the belly guiding light of the KC-135? They change wile I maneuver but I still can not figure where exactly should I place the A-10 to be in the best position. At the same time the boom is chasing me and the result is one big mess... Thanks...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone give me idea where to find more information on the belly guiding light of the KC-135? They change wile I maneuver but I still can not figure where exactly should I place the A-10 to be in the best position. At the same time the boom is chasing me and the result is one big mess... Thanks...

Here's a close up of the KC-10 PDI lights. They are called PDL on the KC-135. It's worth it to note that the PDL are controlled by boom position and not aircraft position. If the boom operator's technique is to follow the aircraft around with the boom then the PDL can help establish contact but otherwise is only useful for maintaining limits while in contact.

dscf0018.jpg

Fore/aft position is on the right hand side, which is the throttle hand on most/all large USAF aircraft. Up/down is on the left side for the left hand on the yoke. Small jets are the other way around of course. Flashing lights indicate minor movement while solid indicates more significant movement. Off lights mean disconnect while flashing PDL+aircraft lighting means breakaway.

This PDF gives good information about a lot of AAR. Pages of note are 4 and 9. http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/6ACABD83_1143_EC82_2EE2BBB48BDF8D3C.pdf

• Like 1

Why bother with lights? Most of the pilots do this blindfolded right? :D

I was driving today. I kept syncing speed with the cars around me in preparation for in flight refueling....not kidding here :)

Slightly OT question: Is there a way, or going to be a way, to change the mission editor measurements from metric to imperial?

asus p7p55d deluxe | intel i5-750 @ stock | g.skill ripjaw 4gb | asus geforce gtx 470 @ stock | trackir 4 | thrustmaster hotas warthog | win7 home premium 64bit

*Disclaimer* I know this is a beta and it may be just how it is for now.

Has anyone been able to actaully get gas from the Tanker? I can connect just fine and after a short moment it disconnects and that's it. The tanker will not respond further to my requests for fuel. I'm just wondering if maybe there's a setting inside of the ME to give the Tanker fuel to give my AC.

I've set the orbit as race track, and as circle - no changes. I can connect just fine. Anyone have better luck?

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

*Disclaimer* I know this is a beta and it may be just how it is for now.

Has anyone been able to actaully get gas from the Tanker? I can connect just fine and after a short moment it disconnects and that's it. The tanker will not respond further to my requests for fuel. I'm just wondering if maybe there's a setting inside of the ME to give the Tanker fuel to give my AC.

I've set the orbit as race track, and as circle - no changes. I can connect just fine. Anyone have better luck?

My default answer is that you're probably not holding steady enough behind the tanker once connected. However, you may have something here. I stayed connected for about 30 seconds and I don't think I recieved any fuel. If I recall correctly, the flow is something on the order of 2,000 gallons/min. I should have gotten close to 1,000 gallons and at best got 100.

My default answer is that you're probably not holding steady enough behind the tanker once connected. However, you may have something here. I stayed connected for about 30 seconds and I don't think I recieved any fuel. If I recall correctly, the flow is something on the order of 2,000 gallons/min. I should have gotten close to 1,000 gallons and at best got 100.

Normally I would agree, but I've now done it 7 times with the same result, it immediatley disconnects once I get connected and I can't contact the Tanker again.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

it does work yes. you need to set the option in the editor though.

Advance Tab set

Perform Command/ Activate TACAN

Channel mode X or Y

Channel 1 or what ever you want.

Start up the mission and turn on the TACAN to AAR and set channel 1. Be aware you will have to turn off the TACAN unit in order to use the radios. This is a know bug I think.

Hope I helped :lol:

Edited by andysim

.... it immediatley disconnects once I get connected and I can't contact the Tanker again.

Same for me... Have you get the LATCHED light? I´m not sure I had this light on, because my eyes where focused on the boom. I think I just have not the flying skills yet. Need more training.

Thanks Fire for the mission file!

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

There are two things to keep in mind about those lights.

1. As mentioned before in this thread, they are aliased to boom position. This means that they are of little value until you're latched. Before this point, they're not useful, as they're just telling you where the tip of the probe should go. There's a long of discussion on various places that treat these lights as a frensel system where it would depend on your aircraft position. However, aircraft position varies by type of aircraft and there's no easy way to change such a system.

2. You can see the probe in an A-10 when latched...fly that. The A-10 is the only aicraft I can think of this moment where you have this gift (F-15 is close being over your left shoulder. The aircraft that really need these lights are the heavies (and that's who they're designed for) who have the boom latching several feet behind they're heads.

This isn't fully appropriate, but I'm actually finding myself flying the approahc to the boom a little like a Navy drogue and probe style. Since I can see where the boom is at all times, it's very easy to put the probe right in the recepticle (Obviously aided by the boom operating flying the boom to keep it inline.

I practiced some AAR last night. But with the crappy and uneven resistance in my X52. I find it almost impossible to keep it steady enough. I will give it a new go when my TMW arrives.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

what am I doing wrong? With this mission, it starts up with the Kc-135 tanker flying and I am not in the A-10. Was this just a MP mission? Thank you

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

what am I doing wrong? With this mission, it starts up with the Kc-135 tanker flying and I am not in the A-10. Was this just a MP mission? Thank you

Make sure you selected Player for your A-10 and that your start times are all the same and match the mission start time.

• Like 1

Make sure you selected Player for your A-10 and that your start times are all the same and match the mission start time.

Thank you sir: Much appreciated

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

Problems getting gas

OK I can make contact with the tanker (no problems using Shell c/s) and get into postion but no fuel flows.

I've used LCTL + R to select the refueling flap but even thought I've checked the key assignments (which are correct) the flap doesn't open visually and ther is no ready indication on the indicator to the right of the HUD, and until that works I guess I ain't getting any refuelling.

Any ideas?

When I select LCTL + R to open the sim pauses for a sec or less just like you sometimes get when taking a screenshot, and the RWR starts to bleet, but thats all.

I've checked that the Master Arm, Gun Pac and Laser are all switched to safe, and the Maverick EO power is OFF.

Any help appreciated.

:cry:

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

ESzczesniak, knowing what we know it's pretty obvious that Falcon 4.0 etc. got AAR refueling wrong with regards to the PDL/PDI showing directions before even connecting. Does DCS:A-10C follow suit with these mistakes or does it get it right?

Also, how's the night lighting for AAR? There should be all manner of reflective strips, flood lighting, boom lighting, etc.

ESzczesniak, knowing what we know it's pretty obvious that Falcon 4.0 etc. got AAR refueling wrong with regards to the PDL/PDI showing directions before even connecting. Does DCS:A-10C follow suit with these mistakes or does it get it right?

Also, how's the night lighting for AAR? There should be all manner of reflective strips, flood lighting, boom lighting, etc.

I wish I could give you an answer. Truth is that it's too easy to fly the boom and too hard to see the PDL/PDI lights around the boom that I haven't given them any real thought. You can see where the amber band is and the when teh boom is lowered you get a good sense of your height through this picture. The boom is held at a constant angle until very near contact and at this point I "fly the paint" and keep the same picture outside the aircraft. So far I've managed to get 2,500 lbs on boards before disconnect because I got out of position (on the best try...there are some less worthy examples).

Also haven't done any night flying yet (although I really do need to give that a try).

Click the handle on the console. :)

Thanks Didn't realise that there was one :doh:

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

here is a couple of vid's I found.

I would not want to be the next guy in line to get fuel.

http://www.pakistan.tv/videos-refueling-fail-%5BpGS8dwQSWzI%5D.cfm :megalol:

http://www.history.com/videos/refueling-mid-air-what-a-rush#refueling-mid-air-what-a-rush

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals