Inflight refueling

RogueRunner

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will I have been trying the missions without much success. as I can't even contact the tanker.

I get the tanker radio options, then I request rejoin and then nothing.... tanker blanks me.

Which means your radio is either not tuned, or you are using the wrong radio.

He is a little snobby about responding to pre-connect if you are out of position, but they always respond to the request rejoin.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Hey Fred just out of interest what Joystick/HOTAS are you using?

I'm working off an X-52 myself

X-45. It's not the best with its pots and the plastic on plastic creaking. I need to get in their with liberal amounts of lithium grease. It's not awful I just lust after Hall effect replacements and proper bearings.

will I have been trying the missions without much success. as I can't even contact the tanker.

I get the tanker radio options, then I request rejoin and then nothing.... tanker blanks me.

Tanker uses the VHF AM. There's a radio field in the "group properties" section. I think the tanker defaults to 150.0 MHz AM or maybe that's the first "AM" slot that gets used. You don't have to go into the advanced tasking stuff unless you want to change freq beyond the initialization.

In my tanker practice mission I set the tanker to use the same frequency as my AM radio defaults to in the A-10C to cut out a step.

Ack.

Would like a TM: Warthog myself, but I think the X52 will need to do for the moment. I thought maybe you were working off a Cyborg or something in which case I could see how you might be having throttle challenges.... :)

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

Fly my track and then fly Tietze's track taking control just after clearance to initial contact. They are WORLDS APART in terms of how easy it is to AAR. Something's very different in our mission/jet setups that has nothing to do with our flying techniques.

Having not flown with you I couldnt be certain, but I couldnt get why you were having such massive problems, so that would make sense.

cw1.png

Also I noticed all your fill disabled buttons were in the extended "inhibit" position.

I took control in your mission and noticed the same - all the "filll disengage" buttons were pushed down - if you don't push them down (enable them) it works nicely!

Please fix the KA-50 bugs :-)

Black Shark: Controller profile & setup, TrackIR profile, pit.

Warthog HOTAS: Lubing the stick and extending the stick.

Posts on howto customize switches in DCS &

Must-have mods for DCS World and KA-50 (mostly JSGME).

Casual couch pilot, watching capped.tv...

My finding as well. Leave the push buttons up and you will take fuel. I just have to practice staying attached long enough to get tanked up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Just out of interest has anyone else noticed when they finish refuelling they dont get a record of it in there log book?

I've had 2 full refuels from 40% up to 100% with the tanker telling me I'm done, but no record on my avatar?

cw1.png

I tried to refuel again last night. Incoherent rage was all I got from it. I'm simply unable to hold level flight I guess? Couldn't even do autopilot, since even though I enabled it during level flight, it pitched up wildly...

I have probem, that after Im disengaged from refueling, mostly because of unstable flight. I cant contact tanker again!! What Im doing wrong?

It's a known issue and should be fixed in the next beta. Likewise the fill disable switches being reversed is a known issue and will be fixed at some point.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I tried to refuel again last night. Incoherent rage was all I got from it. I'm simply unable to hold level flight I guess? Couldn't even do autopilot, since even though I enabled it during level flight, it pitched up wildly...

Don't feel bad. I have made 11 attempts and haven't connected. It is either me or my joystick, or both. But probably mostly me. :joystick:Haven't tried it in our latest download so maybe next time will be okay

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

Practice makes perfect. :smilewink:

While i haven't been able to sustain contact long enough to take significant amounts, i'm finding myself at least able to contact it a lot faster after a few tries. However, i'm suspecting like frederf that there's still some things porked with AAR, as even in the attempts where i was able to keep it stabilized until i got the 'you are taking fuel' message, the tanker disconnected emediately.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I'm pretty satisfied that things are doable now with AAR. Couple of little notes about it: fill disable buttons are reversed. They need to be popped to fill. Flush you won't get any fuel.

When you close in to a certain range the boomer moves the boom away from the center spot out of your way. Try to memorize where it is and fly to that point for contact. Do your best to keep in envelope during the refuel.

I never got the bravery up to set the disconnect switch from override to norm, which would allow the boomer to disconnect you at lesser limits in real life. Also I'm not sure what amount of fuel the tanker tries to give you. I started at about 40% and got up to 8,000 lbs when I got a normal disconnect message (different from when you leave limits) so either it has a set amount it wants to give you or a normal cut off fill level.

And of course the tanker is a one shot thing. Maybe setting up triggers to st the tanker back to tanker task mid-mission might reset him. I don't know.

is a pretty close approximation to my flight path close to the tanker.

Keeping speed was a big problem for me too. It might be the tanker, the one I was trying to connect to was going at like 270 KIAS. So catching up meant I had to do wave moments - pitch down to speed up to catch up, but then pitch up to get back to it's level and slowing down in the meantime.

270 knots is way too fast. Try 200 or 190.

Keep practicing and you'll do just fine :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I have already reported this issue on the Open beta forum.

Tanker Speed in Race-track orbit way too fast

The main issue is that the "scripted propierties of the Race-track Orbit, make tankers to fly those pattern at speeds fasters than an A-10 can fly and rejoin the tanker.

The only actual solution until ED change the Orbit Race-Track speed for tankers (For the Awacs or for the CAP, the actual speed is ok) is to create yourself using tons of waypoints a nearly endelss racetrack route using lower airspeed. Not very elegant, but it works.

I've tried refuelling with a x-52 and to be honest you need AutoPilot. The trick is to make sure Aircraft is in trim before you engage it. Especially pitch.

With the TM WH, its good to go without AP. Damn fine stick.

I have some old trk files but they are broken with beta3 for some reason.

I also find the tanker is more susceptable to disconnect when you are sitting low on tanker. (i.e. when boom is angled downwards quite a lot). I posted some tips on pg11, let me know if they help.

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q