My Hotas WH died

jsk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My WH throttle totally dead, not responding for anything. I received the instructions and the files from TM Support but it didn't work for my throttle. The stick works fine, I uploaded the new firmware, its perfect - by the way, there is a new release of target, it is much better than the first one.

But still no advice or any suggestion from TM support - I'm getting nervous. With the Cougar they were very flexible and sent me all the replacement hardwares needed and finally everything worked fine. Now... nothing.

TM Warthog no.00128

I don't think I'd trust a $500 stick on a $20 USB hub. I'm pretty confident in the voltage regulation to the PC USB ports but there's no telling how nasty the power on a cheap USB hub may be.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

I don't think I'd trust a $500 stick on a $20 USB hub. I'm pretty confident in the voltage regulation to the PC USB ports but there's no telling how nasty the power on a cheap USB hub may be.

I had mine hooked up to the USB on the back of Motherboard. The main USB ports and still went bad. Waiting for another fixed or ok to send back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks like the problem is way worst then a simple firmare issue.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Got mine yesterday. Works but not going to use it until this is figured out.

Edited by LeadDoctor

AMD 955, Asus M4A79t, 12GB 1600 cas7 Mushkin red line and black line, EVGA 670 FTW, Samsung 840 SSD 250GB, Samsung spin point 620GB x3 extra storage.

Then how do you know it works?

You couldn't wait and plugged it in, didn't you, LeadDoctor? That was a risky affair don't you think? Maybe you already fried the firmware and now its broken in the box...

Nah just pulling you leg there. ;) Mine is now on its way finally, but after reading this I am a little hesitant to plug it in at all until some clarification from TM has arrived on the issue...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Well, I kinda agree.

If you look at the amount of serials logged in the 'Serials thread' in relation to the amount of unique usernames in this thread only a fraction of the users are having problems so it seems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Plugged mine in right away. Love this thing. My throttle dies, i will try the firmware fix and then if it is a no go I will slap my hall sensor modded Cougar throttle up there till it is worked out.

In fact I am seriously considering using my Cougar Stick base with the Warthog handle instead of the Warthog Stick base because I have the NXT mod and frankly it is more precise control for me then I can get with the WH due to the center transition area.

So my rig may become WH Throttle, Cougar (NXT) with WH handle and my simped vario pro rudders with Toe brakes.

Out

So the issue here is, when you get your new stick, do you go ahead and roll the dice and plug it in and take a chance or wait for a firmware update that might solve this. Because you might be like me and some others that tried the first fixed and did not work. Now we might be sending it in for replacement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Plugged mine in right away. Love this thing. My throttle dies, i will try the firmware fix and then if it is a no go I will slap my hall sensor modded Cougar throttle up there till it is worked out.

In fact I am seriously considering using my Cougar Stick base with the Warthog handle instead of the Warthog Stick base because I have the NXT mod and frankly it is more precise control for me then I can get with the WH due to the center transition area.

So my rig may become WH Throttle, Cougar (NXT) with WH handle and my simped vario pro rudders with Toe brakes.

Out

PoleCat, I cannot get my WH handle to seat properly in my NXT base. Let me know if yours can please.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

TM had the same problem with the Cougar MFD's when they first came out. A few people on these forums and other forums were complaining about them dying after about an hour or so. TM, needs to get that stuff straighten out. How come this is coming to light now? Didn't the T-birds test these out for months before they were released, guess they got some of the good ones.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Or maybe they were a too small universe of testers to see a pattern.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Oh, you know what they say. If you really want to test a product thoroughly prior to release, you put it in the hands of a group as homogeneous as you can find, all running the latest OS on high-spec hardware. Make sure they're all using the same globalization on their systems as well.

Or wait, was it the other way around? :joystick:

I can't believe that companies are still making the same mistakes when it comes to testing, gathering groups of users which are not by far representative of the final customer base. Yet we see it time and time again in this field...

(Just to make it very clear: I know next to nothing about the tester base ED are using, nor do I have any indications that the tester base is not representative or insufficient in any way - rather the opposite in fact. My gripes are entirely directed at other companies than ED.)

Oh, you know what they say. If you really want to test a product thoroughly prior to release, you put it in the hands of a group as homogeneous as you can find, all running the latest OS on high-spec hardware. Make sure they're all using the same globalization on their systems as well.

Or wait, was it the other way around? :joystick:

Sarcasm received. However, we had about as mixed up a bunch of hardware as you could get.

Until this past week, I was running on a 5 year old C2D e6600 setup with a 5 year old install of XP. Others in the team had newer and older (!) hardware, with everything from XP to Win7. Several of us are now on Win7. Some had standalone pedals, some had TM Elites running through their Cougars. We are also not the only ones who were testing the units...including some non-US globalized europeans.

We were also primarily testing pre-production units. There are a few things different (generally better...and minor...mostly cosmetic...but still, they weren't 'precisely' the same as the ones on the market).

At my last count there were about 6 people in the forum who had experienced failures of their Warthogs...and at least one of them had his get fixed through the firmware flash.

That's out of well over 100 people who've posted in the WH owner database thread here alone. That's a < 3% failure rate (since every Warthog is 2 units and nobody's had both devices fail...come to think of it I haven't heard of any stick failures, it's all been throttle) overall...or less than 6% on the throttle alone.

Microsoft would be _ecstatic_ about a failure rate below 10% on the xbox 360. I think the gaming community would have a collective heart attack if they achieved 6%.

Edited by Teej
  • Like 1

"Tank! I need a program for a TM Warthog!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

Sarcasm received. However, we had about as mixed up a bunch of hardware as you could get.

Until this past week, I was running on a 5 year old C2D e6600 setup with a 5 year old install of XP. Others in the team had newer and older (!) hardware, with everything from XP to Win7. Several of us are now on Win7. Some had standalone pedals, some had TM Elites running through their Cougars. We are also not the only ones who were testing the units...including some non-US globalized europeans.

We were also primarily testing pre-production units. There are a few things different (generally better...and minor...mostly cosmetic...but still, they weren't 'precisely' the same as the ones on the market).

At my last count there were about 6 people in the forum who had experienced failures of their Warthogs...and at least one of them had his get fixed through the firmware flash.

That's out of well over 100 people who've posted in the WH owner database thread here alone. That's a < 3% failure rate (since every Warthog is 2 units and nobody's had both devices fail...come to think of it I haven't heard of any stick failures, it's all been throttle) overall...or less than 6% on the throttle alone.

Microsoft would be _ecstatic_ about a failure rate below 10% on the xbox 360. I think the gaming community would have a collective heart attack if they achieved 6%.

:thumbup:

-Corsair Obsidian 800D

-Corsair H50

-Corsair 1600mhz 7-7-7-20

-Intel i7 930 @ 3.99ghz

-EVGA X58 Classified

-EVGA GTX480 @2 In SLI

-EVGA GTX 285 Physx

-Silverstone 1500 psu

-Logitech G940 (retired)

-TM Warthog HOTAS

-42" Sony X-Series 1080P LCD

-17" Dell Acc Monitor @2

3% is pretty high considering most remamed companies use the 6Sigma quality control system, i.e. a few failiures in 1 MILLION units, not in 100. X Box failiure rate is disgracefull. Where is it made? China? ...oh wait so is warthog. :D

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

LOL pilotasso , true 6% is considered inacceptable for most companies.

I m not sure its a firmware issue since nobody reported that the WH is working again with the new firmware.

A question, was the follow up of the belgian post precise or was it extremely lacking ?

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

OK, got a reply from TM.

First, they sent me the firmware updater. That did not work for me, so i wrote them back. The answer was that the Eepromdata I sent back is showing no Problem, so stick and throttle should be recogniced as HID. If not try on a other Computer.

I will do so but I feel kind of left alone by TM.

Has anyone an idea what i could try next? I wanna my :joystick: back.... :cry:

OK, got a reply from TM.

First, they sent me the firmware updater. That did not work for me, so i wrote them back. The answer was that the Eepromdata I sent back is showing no Problem, so stick and throttle should be recogniced as HID. If not try on a other Computer.

I will do so but I feel kind of left alone by TM.

Has anyone an idea what i could try next? I wanna my :joystick: back.... :cry:

I just got a reply from TM after the first fixed did not work. I am to mail to Canada my throttle for repair or new unit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We really do not know the actual numbers of how many. I find it unusual for it to be the same problem. Not random different issues going wrong and going wrong so soon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]