Ka-50 gun efficiency

Tancrede

My question is simple:

how efficient is the 30 mm gun of the Ka-50 against armored vehicles?

In fact, during one mission, I faced T-72 tanks and because I did have anymore any anti-tank missiles, I decided to proceed with my gun. Of course, I did not achieve a lot as I fired from 3 km away but was nearing quiet fast until I was firing over its top and on its side with AP munitions and then with HE. It seems that it did not scratch a bit from this tank, but in real life is what would the effects of 30 mm gun fired over the top at very close range on heavy armored vehicles?

Moreover, I have to said that during this same mission, I had some problems to take out BTR-80 ‘s with the gun from 2,5 km away.

.....but in real life is what would the effects of 30 mm gun fired over the top at very close range on heavy armored vehicles?

Useless.

You will never get close enough to begin with and if you do there's a Sabot waiting for you :D

120mm_M830A1_HEAT-MP-T_T.jpg

120mm_M830A1_kill.jpg

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Read this (it's not a joke, it's a valuable resource! *)

air_053a_2t.jpg

A-10 Pilots Coloring Book

having in mind that A-10's cannon is much more efficient against armor than that of Ka-50.

A 10 pages read on A-10 cannon anti-armor efficiency.

Wanna tanks? Use missiles. This is why they have been produced for.

Gun is nice for soft armored targets, like BTRs, Humvees ect :) I don't have problems to kill them from 3 km :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Main battle tanks.... its a bad idea. Everything else the gun should be able to destroy eventually.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

No, this is worse than a SABOT round Viper :D

It's a prox or time fuzed MPAT round ... and it works on tanks, too!

Useless.

You will never get close enough to begin with and if you do there's a Sabot waiting for you :D

120mm_M830A1_kill.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Useless.

120mm_M830A1_kill.jpg

As we know the top of the tank is "softer" than the rest. Would you at very close range make some damage?

In the mission, I was talking first, I overflies the T-72 while fire HE munitions. Any chances to disable the beast?

If you were using AP, penetrating the rear might be a possibility. With HE, not as likely.

In DCS BS it's possible to defeat top armor and rear armor of a T-72 from less than 1000 m, I think. Rear armor being easier to defeat.

It doesn't change a (edit: the) fact that using cannon against MBT is silly both in reality and in DCS :)

Edited by Bucic

In DCS BS it's possible to defeat top armor and rear armor of a T-72 from less than 1000 m, I think. Rear armor being easier to defeat.

It doesn't change a (edit: the) fact that using cannon against MBT is silly both in reality and in DCS :)

Except if it is the last enemy tank left of the mission (with also no enemy AAA left), and you and your partner don't have any missile left.

Except if it is the last enemy tank left of the mission (with also no enemy AAA left), and you and your partner don't have any missile left.

You've been given the info. It's your call :)

Edited by Bucic

Thanks for all your replies, but I still did not get any clear answers about the use of Ka-50 30 mm gun against armored vehicles, beside that it would be dangerous (what I share with you). Some told me that the gun would be useless and some told that on the top or on the engine box, AP munitions would be quite damaging.

Can someone tell me how armored characteristics are model in BS?

I think DCS modells the different armour characteristics from different profiles. More (points) afforded to front armour and less (points) afforded to side and top armour.

I am pretty sure i read a thread (on rockets) that armour is calculated on a points system therefore enabling splash damage to be taken into consideration.

(don't qoute me on it)

Edited by bogusheadbox
I like chicken

Some told me that the gun would be useless and some told that on the top or on the engine box, AP munitions would be quite damaging.

That. I've tested it. If you don't believe it why don't you test it yourself. Just put a bunch of friendly T-72 on one end of your runway - each heading different direction. Swich to low rate of fire, AP ammo and get on it! :)

I think DCS modells the different armour characteristics from different profiles. More (points) afforded to front armour and less (points) afforded to side and top armour.

It has been stated quite a few times by ED testers and observed during gameplay. I don't recall any mention of impact angle though.

220px-Sloped-armour-slide.png

It's been said that the ricochet demo presents this feature apart from the ricochet modeling itslef. Notice the different veh. headings and when they go off.

Additionally, IIRC, hits take an effect on the unit's ability to aim and on something like the crews 'morale'.

Has this been observed ever? :)

Edited by Bucic

Has this been observed ever? :)

It's in the Code - Fact!

:)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

That. I've tested it. If you don't believe it why don't you test it yourself. Just put a bunch of friendly T-72 on one end of your runway - each heading different direction. Swich to low rate of fire, AP ammo and get on it! :)

I will give a try.:thumbup:

Can you share any more details except "vehicle aiming skills decrease when under fire"?

Do a search, i'm quite convinced that this has been discussed in the forum publicly.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I did destroy an Abrahams with my 30mm cannon on one mission. Altought I already did hit it with one missile it did not brake so since it was the only target left and I had no more missiles I tought I'd try with Cannon AP rounds. I had to but all my rounds to its backside and just when I was about to use HE rounds too it exploded.