Start up procedures checklist?

kingneptune117

Nope, if I turn on the radios before I've started the APU, then I don't get any response from anyone. I spent hours trying to figure out why I couldn't get a response to my request for engine start until I found a thread talking about this issue.

UHF should work it does with battery power only real world...

UHF should work it does with battery power only real world...

I have no doubt that it does in the real world, but it's currently busted in the release version of the sim.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Strange, I remember UHF working for me in the sim with just battery power.

Perhaps it does, but VHF AM certainly doesn't (and that's what you need for engine start permission).

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Perhaps it does, but VHF AM certainly doesn't (and that's what you need for engine start permission).

Nope and doesn't real world. In game I request start up once the APU is running.

Real world as long as you've been through the APU run class you can run the APU anytime, you don't need ATC permission.

Also real world our Pilots don't request start up from ATC, all that is done before they step to the ACFT, it's all part of their mission planning. They don't talk to ATC until requesting Taxi.

Very nice, Paul, and much appreciated. Will definitely start using your checklist next flight.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Hi. I made a shortend video without sound from the ramstart traning.

You can download it to your handy e.g. for starting the A10. HF

MB: Intel DX79TO; Core i7 3820 (3,6 ghz); SPU: Asus Xonar D2X; GPU: AMD XFX 7970 BE OC (3GB); RAM: Kingston 8 GB DDR3-1333 Quad-Kit; HHDs: G.Skill Phoenix SSD (for OS&DCS), WD 1 TB + WD 160GB; PSU: be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W; Display: EIZO Foris 2333-BK; OS: WIN8 Pro 64bit (latest updates); TM HOTAS Warthog; CH Rudder pedals; Cougar MFDs; iPad Mini with iControl DCS; TrackIR4 + TrackClipPro.

A10 startup procedure -->

Just a couple of questions re startup as per the checklist:

i) At what point do we place or insure that the Fuel Flow switches are at normal?

ii) Could you explain the Eng Op switch to normal observe core speed at 30% then throttle over hum Eng Op switch to normal sequence?

iii) Could you explain the Chop test, and would that throw off EGI alignment?

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just a couple of questions re startup as per the checklist:

i) At what point do we place or insure that the Fuel Flow switches are at normal?

ii) Could you explain the Eng Op switch to normal observe core speed at 30% then throttle over hum Eng Op switch to normal sequence?

iii) Could you explain the Chop test, and would that throw off EGI alignment?

Thanks

i) If you talking on shutdown once the engines are off you place the switches to normal

ii) Do you mean Eng Op switch to MOTOR observe core speed at 30% throttle over the hump? If so what you are doing is motoring the engine first to make sure there is no residential fuel from the last shutdown and get everything spinning before putting a load on the engine. With the switch in MOTOR you will only get to around 30% core speed, once you reach 30 % you place the throttles over the hump to initiate the start sequence (which doesn't truly begin until the switch is in NORMAL).

iii) No as long as you have your feet on the brakes you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

But what is the purpose of a chop check/test

Thanks Paulrkiii and the 25th VFS for the excellent checklists. I've learned a lot.

I've got a few more questions about the Chop Check as there's no mention of "Chop" in the manual, no mention of it in the DCSWiki, and Google just brings up pages about valves and pneumatic pumps!

1. Why is a Chop Check (steps 18 & 19 in the 25th VFS start up checklist) performed? What is it designed to test for exactly?

2. Is the procedure to move the throttle from idle to max and back to idle in 2 seconds, or to move it from idle to max in 2 seconds?

3. Why is this test done one engine at a time? Can the check be performed on both engines simultaneously?

4. Does the sim ever simulate the situation where there is residual fuel that needs to be purged? Or is this step always unnecessary in this particular sim?

Cheers!

Edited by latearrival
added q4

Windows 10 | i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 8GB RAM | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | Seasonic X-Series 650W PSU | Oculus Rift DK2 | CH Fighterstick, Throttle & Pedals