Are there any r/l pilots fying DCS A-10? Come out, come out, wherever you are...

Bahger

I'm also a real life pilot. I flew Mig-29, F-15C, Su-27 and now I'm deployed to one of the A10C squadrons. Have thousands of flight hours.

NO! NO! IT'S TRUE! I'M A REAL PILOT AND I HAVE SCREENSHOTS TO PROVE IT!

:megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::thumbup::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Flown the 767 and 737. Now fly a very large bus. I know a ex F/A-18 pilot who fly's a lot of sims. Also a ex military test pilot who saw combat in Vietnam who plays a little.

ARM505 you'll enjoy the 800, much nicer cockpit than the 400 but not as forgiving to land.

I used to fly Learjet 35s doing air ambulance work and we used to have a lot of fun in uncontrolled airspace with no patient and a willing nurse. :)

Now I fly Boeing's... 737-200 and 300

I remember the flap at the O'Club when you got your licence!

Of course it counts! Me too, not an instructor but instrument-rated PP in the 172/182.

The thing I like about the DCS A-10 is that the flight model is recognizable to a small-time pilot. It's not fly-by-wire and has limitations, of thrust, of airspeed and AOA. You have to trim it. You can't fly inverted or throw it around the sky. It feels like a "real" airplane.

Yeah the elevator trim tab is practically in the same place.

Of course it counts! Me too, not an instructor but instrument-rated PP in the 172/182.

The thing I like about the DCS A-10 is that the flight model is recognizable to a small-time pilot. It's not fly-by-wire and has limitations, of thrust, of airspeed and AOA. You have to trim it. You can't fly inverted or throw it around the sky. It feels like a "real" airplane.

Yes! Plus the, ahem, "modest" thrust-to-weight ratio makes it so you really have to plan your energy in the A-10, just like any small single-engine Cessna or Piper. Not to mention the adverse yaw! (All the fighter jocks right now are saying "The adverse what?"). Gotta keep it coordinated! I have to fly the A-10 sim with my feet almost as much as with my hands. :thumbup:

I'm really (really really) looking forward to a Pointy-jet DCS sim, but I just LOVE the stick and rudder flying of the A-10!

--NoJoe

I currently fly B737/-5,-7,-8,-9,-900ER. Previously DC10, A320, EMB-135/145. Someone mentioned that military pilots don't like to admit they fly sims. But I think it is true that few really do fly sims. 30% of First Officers I fly with are ex- (occasionally current) fighter guys and practically none fly sims. It makes sense that they don't. There is sort of a been-there-done-that attitude. Plus, the first hint of silliness or unrealism (which even DCS has plenty of) is an immediate turn-off. I did recently fly with a guy who still flys F/A-18s in the Navy Reserves. His first exposure to "jets" was Flanker 2.0. He seemed to think that the Flanker experience really helped him initially in pilot training. I tried to turn him on to Rise of Flight and Black Shark but he was pretty married to his xbox.

Rise of Flight, I think, is perhaps the strongest draw to "real" pilots because the flying is so completely different than anything in current experience BUT nearly all current BFM techniques still apply.

Edited by Smokin Hole
  • Like 1

Does gliding count?

Have flown solo in K21 and K18. Never really had the money to become a powered pilot, and am too old now to go for Military pilot :mad:

Also had an hour in a real Cessna 172 after my wife bought me it as a gift when I had FS2004.

"The sky is not the limit.....it's my playground!!" @paraglidecass

I am flying Cessna 172, I have practiced mud moving with Cessna ;)

• Like 1

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

any flying counts...

it doesn't matter if its on the space shuttle or a paraglider, its still the experience of flight!

I once heard a cliche story about a cessna 172 private pilot applicant who looked up at the king air and said i wish i was up there. Then there was the guy in the king air looking at the nice shiny CRJ's taking off out of his regional airport and saying i wish that was me. The guy in the CRJ looked at the brand spanking new 777's taking off out of the international he was feeding into and said thats where i want to go. The 777 pilot up at 41,000 feet towards the end of his long haul cruise, looked up and saw the sun glint off the windshield of the space shuttle, and said...i wish that was me. The astronaut in the space shuttle, thousands of hours of experience, including test pilot, to low time, bumping-through-the-night cargo charter, (while flying over a little airfield) looked down and said, thats where i learnt to fly...wish i was down there flying a 172!

eedenn

Edited by eedenn

Intel i7-980X

6GB 2000MHz DDR3

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit

GTX560TI 1GB DDR5

Single Monitor

I'm also a real life pilot. I flew Mig-29, F-15C, Su-27 and now I'm deployed to one of the A10C squadrons. Have thousands of flight hours.

True, and I was his wingman!

:lol::clap_2::cheer3nc:

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro

Okay, I'm the exception. I'm a professional pilot with a little over 7000 hrs of military, corporate and airline time. I love flying computer sims and have just all of them. I went through flight school in 90-91, wish we would have had these sims back then.

• Like 1

Paco

I once emailed Keith Rosenkranz (author of vipers in the storm and Gulf War veteran with 30 combat missions under his belt in an f-16) and asked him if he ever played Falcon or knew anyone that played Falcon. He said he doesn't play it but knows of it and is highly impressed by its realism. He also mentioned he worked on a Falcon project at one point (after Allied Force) but the funding got cut and it was canceled.

I'd expect more combat pilots to fly games like Falcon, considering I know literally dozens of infantry and ground pounder types who play ARMA and Steel Beasts.

Edited by tyrspawn
  • Like 1

PPSEL Cessna 172. A little over 200 hours. Earned my wings in 1999 at KTEB. Flew for a short time but had to put it on hold due to finances. Greatest thing I've ever done was live my boyhood dream of becoming a pilot (even if for a short while). I had the joy of giving my three children their first flight ever. Enjoyed flying the Hudson river VFR corridor in NY/NJ and had the pleasure of sight seeing the Statue of liberty, Coney Island and the WTC several times! What an awesome sight flying past the WTC at 1000' msl yet you were below the top of the twin towers! RIP.

Love DCS A-10 more than any other sim I've had.....and I've had them all going back to my teenage years on a Commodore-64. FS4,ATP transport pilot, solo flight, F-16 combat pilot, hornet, flanker, Falcon (Amiga version), Falcon 3.0&4.0, X-plane, FSX....etc, etc, etc.

I predict DCS-F16 is the next module!

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:megalol::megalol::megalol: Kenan! You RAWK, dude! I still want some of your "porked" placards. Ya never know, we COULD get FAA approval for those when we do an MEL. :thumbup:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I used to fly Learjet 35s doing air ambulance work and we used to have a lot of fun in uncontrolled airspace with no patient and a willing nurse. :)

Now I fly Boeing's... 737-200 and 300

LoL, Mile High club here we come :thumbup: