Improved IR Image (TGP IR)

RichardG

Why are the trees hot? A tank/truck/infantry in the woods would stick out like a sore thumb with a thermal imager, but in game the trees seem to be as hot as a target heat source (if WHOT, they are white, if BHOT, they are black) When the opposite should be true (in WHOT, trees should be black, in BHOT trees should be white). As is, it pretty much eliminates the true IR spotting capability, other than its ability to see in the dark.

It looks to me like a photographic negative image, and not a true IR image at all. I suspect because of lazy coding? I don't know, just thinking out loud. I use a thermal imager at work.

Here is vid of someone in the woods with WHOT. Notice the trees aren't hot. This isn't what one sees in the game. Theres plenty others to see on the net.

Edited by RichardG
  • Like 1

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the FLIR in game is true to real life.. then real life FLIR sucks.. :P

Trees on fire, rivers of lava..some fields hot some not.. wacky stuff these FLIRS...

(the fact that you called ED lazy and referenced youtube.. I hope you are warning flame proof clothing, two things that always go down badly here. ;))

Edited by MadTommy

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

It's just wip.

-haukka81

Love your quote :D

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

Before it escalates, here is a real life TGP Litening II images. As you can see not that much diferent from what you have in the sim.

:huh:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6568/hhn.mp4

Thanks

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I use a thermal imager at work.

Here is vid of someone in the woods with WHOT. Notice the trees aren't hot. This isn't what one sees in the game. Theres plenty others to see on the net.

I'm sure you do, but that thermal camera you use is nothing like the IR camera in the LITENING II/III/G4, Sniper XR or any other targeting pod.

Using hardware commercially available to civilian companies/individuals is not a good measure of the accuracy of the systems in the sim.

Having seen pod imagery from LITENING (albeit III rather than II) and Sniper XR, I'd say it's pretty damn close. Not perfect by any means, but close enough.

EDIT: as proven by Peyoteros' video.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Before it escalates, here is a real life TGP Litening II images.

Woh, impressive footage you got there.

Sometimes the use of bombs seems a bit disproportionned

1:08 = Huge bomb (GBU10 ?) on a small house

And at 1:32 = A bomb for a single man :huh:

Is there any explication why ?

Woh, impressive footage you got there.

Sometimes the use of bombs seems a bit disproportionned

1:08 = Huge bomb (GBU10 ?) on a small house

And at 1:32 = A bomb for a single man :huh:

Is there any explication why ?

That's only a 500lb (GBU-12/38). :D A 2000lb bomb is much, much bigger.

If it's the best weapon for the target, then that's what you use. Proportionality doesn't come into the equation.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

There seemed to be some color in that WHOT display.. near the end of the clip.. Green treetops or vegetation... That a Sniper TGP?

I would have to say that WHOT in DCS seems a slightly whitewashed more often than not.. but yes it is close.

Try adjusting your GAIN and LEVEL settings. ;)

Spoiler

Your video proves my point. Theres a quick shot of a man standing under a tree. The man is jet black (its in BHOT), the tree is light grey, hes very easy to see. In game, the trees and the targets are the same damn color.

Gain and level adjusts the whole image brightness, I've done that, not really what I'm talking about. Its the image polarity thats screwed up. But not the whole image, just the vegetation I think.

Edited by RichardG

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/products/Sniper/SniperVideo1.html

use triangle at the top to skip to the next video.

There seemed to be some color in that WHOT display.. near the end of the clip.. Green treetops or vegetation... That a Sniper TGP?

I would have to say that WHOT in DCS seems a slightly whitewashed more often than not.. but yes it is close.

Edited by Peyoteros

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It also depends on the distance to the target...

Your video proves my point. Theres a quick shot of a man standing under a tree. The man is jet black (its in BHOT), the tree is light grey, hes very easy to see. In game, the trees and the targets are the same damn color.

Gain and level adjusts the whole image brightness, I've done that, not really what I'm talking about. Its the image polarity thats screwed up. But not the whole image, just the vegetation I think.

Screen_110313_195031.thumb.jpg.68d323d87309a5ae194a7052c3cd2359.jpg

Screen_110313_195035.thumb.jpg.d361ba45070555017bab45828484ec88.jpg

Screen_110313_195053.thumb.jpg.ff6d0ae2c4e029967eec974db8a0406b.jpg

Edited by Peyoteros

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd guess they'd also use the best option of the ordinance they were carrying at the time (eg. if they were on station for hours waiting for calls they would probably have a general-purpose CAS payload, and a bomb might have been the best option out of what they were hauling at the time).

• Like 1

IR signature isn't always directly linked to heat god damnit

Actually it is. Heat = IR. :thumbup:

Regardless, not sure what some of you expect. Modeling an accurate FLIR system would be pretty difficult. I think they are just using a separate texture set.

IRL it depends on the system and level of technology. When I used the thermal site on the TOW system, it was at times very difficult to spot a vehicle in the trees. Trees can hold a lot of heat.

• Like 1

Before it escalates, here is a real life TGP Litening II images. As you can see not that much different from what you have in the sim.

Thanks for sharing that video is Sweet. If only we had explosions like that omg.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 Monitors, 5 Video Cards, 90inch Flat Screen, Intel Bad Ass 2 @ 72.6Ghz, Atari Hotas!!!

For me FLIR just need some fine-tunning.

At 1:30 on that video you can see the trees, but only the trees outline, there's no 'texture' in them. On DCS the trees texture is very visible and sharp, it could look more like in the video by simply being blurred or of lower resolution. Another thing is making all trees of the same light levels, on this screenshot some are white others black.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48937&stc=1&d=1300050073

flir1.jpg.3ccca1b3dfb48ea149c7dd6d79a61669.jpg

• Like 2

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8@3360 MHz | MB Asus M4A78-EM | 4GB DDR2-800 Kingston | XFX HD 5770 @850-900/1200-1300 | 500G Samsung HD502HI | Case CM 335 | CM-EPP 460W | Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) | Saitek X65F | Freetrack(Wii Remote) | LG 23' W2353V

Before it escalates, here is a real life TGP Litening II images. As you can see not that much different from what you have in the sim.

Looks like the TGP is very often used in "Both" mode to lase/point. I got used to using both types in multiplayer to enhance everybody's SA, nice to know it's done in the real world, too.