Method? Memorizing Moves as to Systems?

ErichVon

Hi,

I've been doing the training tutorials. There is a lot of stuff to memorize!

How else to go into a battle area and make moves quickly and proficiently?

So, how do you folks do the process?

I'm just looking for ideas.

I have been using various, separate school type spiral notebooks as to check lists and doing the tutes over and over and over to try to memorize, so as to rapidly do what is necessary as second nature.

Other thing I like to do offline, is replay a sortie, zoom ahead rapidly just before I screw up, then hop into the plane at normal speed and maybe not make the same stupid mistake.

And this has probably been asked before, so if necessary, delete this post, but maybe PM me with some links.

Erich

Once I got the start up sequence, takeoff, basic flight and landing stuff down (well, I don't know if I have it down, but at least I can fly a mission without killing myself anymore:music_whistling:), I've tried to concentrate on one weapon or skill each time up.

I've been using a version of the Sitting Ducks mission that I modified to include a ramp start from Kobuleti and a couple of ingress waypoints where I set up in an orbit from which I can practice use of the TGP, mark points, flight plan building and modification, weapons configuration, etcetera. This way I get to practice the startup procedure every flight, taxi, takeoff and land (at Tskhakaya) as well as focus on a weapon system. Although the few units in the Sitting Ducks mission are stationary they DO shoot back, and it is quite simple to add more / more dangerous foes through the Mission Editor. I've been having a blast and getting better each time, building up my confidence to jump on an MP server sometime soon.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Hi,

I've been doing the training tutorials. There is a lot of stuff to memorize!

How else to go into a battle area and make moves quickly and proficiently?

So, how do you folks do the process?

I'm just looking for ideas.

Best thing is to WRITE your checklists. Write down all HOTAS combos. Then write down start-up checklist and so on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the same for any form of hobby, practice, practice and repeating everything.

And then repeat. Shove down a few AA vehicles, and learn to do navigating that way - With the added risk it might help .. and be more ... intresting. :p

repetition, repetition and when you think you have it repeat some more.

this

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

For me, now everything is muscle memory.

What I done was, read the flight manual, did the tutorials, did missions and figured out what I needed to work on.(Pretty much every weapon and creating waypoints. And read through the forums(best source for info :) )

Make sure you know where all the A-10 HOTAS buttons and what they do. For me, I was able to bind all except the pinky to my HOTAS and printed out pages 84 - 90 of the flight manual. Then I wrote what buttons they were on my HOTAS. So, during flight if I totally forgot what button to press, I would pause and take a look.

Things I worked on, each at a time.

- Start up

- Using the TAD and TGP

- Employing weapons, one at a time. mav - CCIP bombing - CCRP Laser - CCRP

- CDU (Creating a waypoint and selecting it on the hud)

- engaging multiple markpoints with JDAMs

www.15thMEU.net ARMA 2 Realism Unit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me, now everything is muscle memory.

What I done was, read the flight manual, did the tutorials, did missions and figured out what I needed to work on.(Pretty much every weapon and creating waypoints. And read through the forums(best source for info :) )

Make sure you know where all the A-10 HOTAS buttons and what they do. For me, I was able to bind all except the pinky to my HOTAS and printed out pages 84 - 90 of the flight manual. Then I wrote what buttons they were on my HOTAS. So, during flight if I totally forgot what button to press, I would pause and take a look.

Things I worked on, each at a time.

- Start up

- Using the TAD and TGP

- Employing weapons, one at a time. mav - CCIP bombing - CCRP Laser - CCRP

- CDU (Creating a waypoint and selecting it on the hud)

- engaging multiple markpoints with JDAMs

Probably the best way to learn anything is to use the techniques in action.

I found with alot of things putting the manual for it on a second screen helps. I did that with Ka-50, and even with IL-2. For a few of the cockpits so I knew where all the instruments are in the cockpits.

A combination of putting it to practice and reading the manual seems to be the best combo for learning anything. :book:

- learn the different HOTAS moves to run the systems. I wrote down the Maverick engagement process as its the hardest (IMO)

- Check out this thing to help you learn & visualize them http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=69610

- Get yur butt in the air and practice until your eyes bleed

- Repeat as needed

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

Something that I've found helpful is to document the training missions word for word as I work through them and take screen shots. The typing can be tedious but it might help you remember the steps and you'll have a reference guide to use later on. There's a ton of reference guides out there that you might find useful. A dual monitor set up also helps; sim on one screen, guide on the other.

Also, there's no shame in using the active pause cheat (Pause LShift LWin).

After about three weeks I've finally reached the point where I can start the plane, navigate waypoints, work the radio, hit my targets, and egress the combat area. I can't land yet and still have a lot to learn.

As several people have already said, a lot of practice helps!

Edited by oritpro

Intel Core I7 2600K, DP67BG Motherboard, 12GB Ram, MSI GTX460, Saitek PRO Flight X-65F, Dual 1080P Monitors

Flight Sims:

* DCS: A-10C Warthog

* DCS: Ka-50 Blackshark

* Lock On Platinum

* Rise of Flight

* Enemy Engaged - RAH66 Comanche Vs KA-52 Hokum

Yeah, once I got the grasp about HOTAS "combos" - it all clicked together. The flow of doing "set and use SOI to find target, set SPI, slew weapons to SPI & lock, launch" etc..

Learn your HOTAS:

- TMS

- DMS

- China hat

functions, learn how they combine and work together.

Repeat repeat repeat - then when you almost got it, Join up with people on TS, in online. Ask if there's something you almost know, but don't understand WHY it does what it does.

Sometimes I Amaze even Myself!

As everyone's said, practice is the key. I've found the Georgian Cross campaign to be pretty good for this: set infinite ammo, call up JTAC and start practicing your Maverick flow.

It also might be a good idea to think of things in terms of tasks. Don't just try to memorize every key, ask yourself "what is required to acquire and engage a target with this system? what are the steps to receive and prosecute a target designated by a JTAC?" Once you've got a foundation, everything else will make a lot more sense and you'll find yourself using the tools intuitively.

DCS Wiki! :book:

For me I just memorize what everything does, or is supposed to achieve in a certain situation, and then concentrate on employing whatever system is required in that situation. After a while it just becomes second hand(weapons profiles -> TGP -> SOI -> SPI -> ingress -> launch -> kill).

Or at least that is how it works for me. Some people say practice and repeat, but I believe that if all you do is practice, your biggest threat is the one that can change at a moment's notice. So, practice all you want, but watch out; because if you don't use your head in an engagement, you will wind up face first in the dirt.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

My two cents...

I am a noob as well and I agree with everything already mentioned. Especially the writing stuff down. Writing and editing my notes works well for me no matter what I am trying to learn. Even though there are lots of checklists and procedures out there (and definately do read and use them), make your own...the process of making them will help learn them. At this point I have my own variations of many charts and checklists but I still look at what else is out there too!

One thing I have been doing with the training missions is, instead of acessing them by going to the training menu, I go to the mission menu and then change directories to the ones the training missions are in (actually I just copied the miz files to their own sub-directory in the mission directory) and starting the mission from there. By doing it that way everything seems to work the same but you get the option to save the track for later review like any other mission. Plus then you can get a good screen shot when you get something right (motivational desktop backgrounds help too):joystick:

Of course, just practice...which is what I should be doing right now.:pilotfly:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: