A-10C Comm sounds to headset

Kiwispit

this was a feature on FSX wasnt it ? dual sound cards required though. really nice feature. i can see it being to hard to implement and even if it is, its worthwhile.

They could even go 1 further and pave the way for something like TARS but ingame. That would be incredibly cool addition to immersion factors. Maybe it could work as some seperate module for the game, and work in conjunction with all DCS .products given radio usage is similar accross the board. a plugin for the aircraft radio systems to go through thats semi independant from the sim itself.(yet fully integrated) Personally i would pay for somthing like that. DCS: TARS or whatever lol.

DCS would bennefit from its own comms device usable across the broad scope of sims that will belong to DCS. Its an essential aspect in fact and one that falls short presently which is not potentially ever going to get better without some ingame attention. .

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

this was a feature on FSX wasnt it ? dual sound cards required though.

Well, to a degree. I think what you really need are just dual sound outputs. My keyboard, the front jacks on my computer, the motherboard output, and the sound card output can all be picked as different output devices, and I can specifically pick, say, the front jacks as output for Teamspeak. I still only have two cards, and yes, you won't really be able to do it with just one sound device (if you just have the jacks on the back and that's it), but it's not quite as cut-and-dry as having to have a second sound card on top of the motherboard RealTek.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They could even go 1 further and pave the way for something like TARS but ingame. That would be incredibly cool addition to immersion factors. Maybe it could work as some seperate module for the game, and work in conjunction with all DCS .products given radio usage is similar accross the board. a plugin for the aircraft radio systems to go through thats semi independant from the sim itself.(yet fully integrated) Personally i would pay for somthing like that. DCS: TARS or whatever lol.

What would be the point of re-creating Teamspeak 3 within DCS when Teamspeak 3 is already free?

What would be the point of re-creating Teamspeak 3 within DCS when Teamspeak 3 is already free?

The client is, but servers aren't.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

If you want you can host your own server, can't you? I have it on my test box for obvious reasons since I develop against the client API.

What happens though if you have 20 or 50 people on it. Then you need some serious bandwidth that most people's home connection can't support, and you will need probably a paid rented server. Like the 104th and others do.

If you want you can host your own server, can't you? I have it on my test box for obvious reasons since I develop against the client API.

I never put much thought into it but i had the impression that if you wanted to run a host, you had to pay for it(talking about the software alone). Is that not correct?

What happens though if you have 20 or 50 people on it. Then you need some serious bandwidth that most people's home connection can't support, and you will need probably a paid rented server. Like the 104th and others do.

You would also have to do that if the voip feature was integrated into DCS. You would just shift the bandwith requirement from the TS server to the server that runs DCS.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

This is a feature that I would really like. I always have my headset on when flying (TrackIR :D), and having the coms, etc etc going through the speakers is a bit... you know... weird..

In my mind it would be a big increase in immersion, but I can understand if it can't be done.

However, as others have noted, it is possible in FSX. But we all know how optimised FSX is :)

I never put much thought into it but i had the impression that if you wanted to run a host, you had to pay for it(talking about the software alone). Is that not correct?

I think your memory is thinking about Ventrilo, where this would be true. Or at least was true, way back when I ran a couple servers for my EVE crew.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You would also have to do that if the voip feature was integrated into DCS. You would just shift the bandwith requirement from the TS server to the server that runs DCS.

I do believe that is how other PC games do it. Look at ArmA, Battlefield etc. I think it is more of a peer to peer thing, but not my area of expertise.

yeah I use the in game VON and TS3 when playing Arma2 but the best part

is the ACRE plug-in for TS3 that simulates terrain interference. I know that

TS3 supports 3D sound so why not a coms etc. TS3 plug-in for DCS stuff to?:book:

assuming thats even possible as I know how easy it is to mod/add/script stff into anything on the RV engine.:sorcerer:

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Okay, so you get 32 slots for free and significant additional with the not for profit license. That makes sense. I run the free one in my test box.

I do believe that is how other PC games do it. Look at ArmA, Battlefield etc. I think it is more of a peer to peer thing, but not my area of expertise.

[/QUOTe]

ArmA/A2's VOIP took a not-insignificant amount of effort on the part of the developers to get right, and it was a feature that had been developed and debugged since ArmA 1. Obviously I can't provide additional specifics due to non disclosure but I would rather see ED continue to develop and debug features in DCS rather than embark on a new VOIP project.

Edited by Headspace

• 1 year later...
So... I have a bad habit of poking things that are dead. Are we still a no go on this? Its been quite a while so maybe someone from ED has been tinkering with this. Any info would be great.

ED still has too many other fish to fry, IMHO. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: