• EC665 Tiger
    • UH-60M Blackhawk
    • CH-47F Chinook
    • Others

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the military developing both still is my question? Viper and apache are almost identical in capabilities. Why not just use the apache in the marines? Hell the apache is actually a bit smaller and lighter. Would be better for a ship, right? Yeah, 1z has folding blades now, but I am sure the same system could be used on the apache. I like the viper helmet better I think though. Not sure why they would make pilots change eyes to fly constantly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

I think that the US thought that developing a naval apache would be a waste because the marines would be the only customer so Bell privately created the Supercobra and then sold it to the marines rather than getting a contract first. Don't quote me though.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Why is the military developing both still is my question? Viper and apache are almost identical in capabilities. Why not just use the apache in the marines? Hell the apache is actually a bit smaller and lighter. Would be better for a ship, right? Yeah, 1z has folding blades now, but I am sure the same system could be used on the apache. I like the viper helmet better I think though. Not sure why they would make pilots change eyes to fly constantly.
One of the reason I could think off is that because Marines also operates UH-1s. The UH-1s and AH-1s share lot of commonality so by using AH-1s they can save lot of operation costs. I'm sure there reasons behind it.

I think that the US thought that developing a naval apache would be a waste because the marines would be the only customer so Bell privately created the Supercobra and then sold it to the marines rather than getting a contract first. Don't quote me though.
I don't think they need additional development. As I know, British Apache which support operation in Libya also operates from carrier, aren't they? Not really sure tho.

40495_37326.jpg

Edited by thaisocom

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

Judging by your picture yes, That looks like HMS Albion or Ocean, dedicated Helicopter Landing Ships rather than carriers but that's nit picking. I wasn't aware of that so I'm not sure.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

That Apache video was really cool (despite the fact that I already saw it on tv), it did sort of bring up a problem, though.

How would we use the monocle? One can't exactly shift focus on a flat monitor...

Unless that is an exclusive feature to the Longbow and the A variant would not have such an issue.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see DCS do the Longbow. I'm just pointing this out.

Unless someone made a small screen monocle that we could wear. That would be sweet.

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

That Apache video was really cool (despite the fact that I already saw it on tv), it did sort of bring up a problem, though.

How would we use the monocle? One can't exactly shift focus on a flat monitor...

Unless that is an exclusive feature to the Longbow and the A variant would not have such an issue.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see DCS do the Longbow. I'm just pointing this out.

Unless someone made a small screen monocle that we could wear. That would be sweet.

Can't they implement it the same way they did for NVG?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

I wonder if it's possible to have totally independent images for left and right eye with 3D mode. That would be the only realistic way of doing the IHADDS monocle. But I suppose the current 3D drivers don't support something like that. The other way would be to just show the player what the pilot would perceive to see, ie. how the brain interprets the different images. That's what you see in a FPS game when looking through a red dot scope. It's not equal to what the shooter sees with hes eyes but it's pretty close to what he perceives to see.

In the Ed Macy's book Apache he tells that pretty much every Apache pilot will get a headache from using the monocle for the first year. And that he eventually learned to use his eyes independently from each other, ie. reading two books at the same time.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

In the Ed Macy's book Apache he tells that pretty much every Apache pilot will get a headache from using the monocle for the first year. And that he eventually learned to use his eyes independently from each other, ie. reading two books at the same time.

Boy that sure does make for a good read. I am a fan of Ed's writing as well.

However, it is physiologically impossible to "learn to use your eyes independently". It just doesn't happen. You can't read two books at once no mater how hard you try.

The headaches from the AH-64 IHADSS come from issues relating to eye dominance and binocular rivalry.

What training and experience allow is for a pilot to get more or less used to the effects, although long missions will always produce a significant amount of eye fatigue.

Using the eyes "independently" probably refers to an ability to rapidly switch focus from one eye to the other as required. At night, the left eye will need to be used for all "in-cockpit" viewing, such as checking a kneeboard or looking at displays or instruments, while the right eye will be filled with HUD-type data as well as FLIR imagery from the PNVS or TADS. For example, While looking outside the aircraft, the left eye may see nothing but dark, and be constantly drawn reflexively to various stimuli in the cockpit, such as changes in displays or maybe caution/warning lights. The right eye wouldn't notice those things because of the amount of input being received from the IHADSS monocle. Later, if the pilot wants to check something, say a frequency on his kneeboard, he must look down and shift his focus to his left eye and look inside the cockpit, while the right eye is still filled with flight data and a FLIR image through the floor of the aircraft. This shifting of focus is what Apache pilots need to become used to and become very proficient at doing.

I suppose one way they could handle it is by simply making a portion of the right side of the monitor the monocle with it's own images while the left is in the cockpit. Perhaps some people could use a second monitor for the monocle but if they only have the one, then it'd be like 25% to 50% of the right side of the screen is has the monocle, and that can be lowered or raised with a keystroke like the NVG.

Regardless, the solution would be interesting to see.

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

I suppose one way they could handle it is by simply making a portion of the right side of the monitor the monocle with it's own images while the left is in the cockpit. Perhaps some people could use a second monitor for the monocle but if they only have the one, then it'd be like 25% to 50% of the right side of the screen is has the monocle, and that can be lowered or raised with a keystroke like the NVG.

Regardless, the solution would be interesting to see.

I also think it could be something like that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Merlin HM1

That's also interesting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also think it could be something like that.

I recall another game that had monocle issues not too long ago... hehe...

but seriously, I don't think adding a little picture in picture thing would be a good idea. More than likely, ED could partner with someone else to actually make the monocles(maybe NaturalPoint? New TIR model?).

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Doubt that a proprietary device would be created for an apache game. The investment needed to basically create a consumer grade version of the apache monocle would be way above their expected sales number for an apache simulation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

I recall another game that had monocle issues not too long ago... hehe...

but seriously, I don't think adding a little picture in picture thing would be a good idea. More than likely, ED could partner with someone else to actually make the monocles(maybe NaturalPoint? New TIR model?).

I think that accessories should be optional, and not mandatory for the game. User should have access to all features of the game even without extra piece of hardware. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Of course, Black Hawk is one of the best utility helicopters out there! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With the way the helmet visors are designed in the F-22 you'd think they'd just use that for the AH-64 pilot at least, the co-pilot would have a hard time with it unless the Head Down device was modified.

Also since the AH-64D can't be done (prolly due to the radome). why not do the AH-64C/D which is a longbow without the radar.

As for SP shamelessly steal the ideas used in JCS Longbow 1 and 2.

I can never get over just how huge the Hind really is...

That's what she said....:megalol: :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EtherealN: I will promptly perform a sex change and offer my hand in marriage to whomever

The Longbow is the radar. Without it, it's just an AH-64D Apache. There is no C-model.

AH-64C

Additional funding from Congress in late 1991 resulted in a program to upgrade AH-64As to an AH-64B+ version. More funding changed the plan to upgrade to AH-64C. The C upgrade would include all changes to be included in the Longbow except for mast-mounted radar and newer -700C engine versions. However, the C designation was dropped after 1993.[166] With AH-64As receiving the newer engine from 1990, the only difference between the C model and the radar-equipped D model was the radar, which could be moved from one aircraft to another; thus the decision was made to simply designate both versions AH-64D

I said it that way to suggest making the D without the radar since I figured that'd be the still really classified part of the Longbow