Ragtop's A-10C Build

Ragtop

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've managed to find a few useful bits based on the sizes, some of which is yours, so thanks a lot for the research you've already done. It's a big help to the community.

I'd still like to know the manufacturer of the TM:WH toggles, I can't seem to find them anywhere on the internet!

476th vFG Alumni

FINALLY figured out a system for my pseudo-Dzus rails, I just need to plane the angle into the angled edge so panels sit flat on it.

This system gives me 16mm to play with for the panels, which means I can make both a switch panel and a top panel with the markings and cutouts on which will look much closer to the real deal.

My challenge now is finding the right switches for the right price. I need full size toggles, like the TM:WH has in it, but I'm struggling to find them for under £2-3/$3-5, which seems a little steep to me.

UK guys my ears and eyes are open if you can help!

IMG_8444.thumb.jpg.431fb9e10a3fd6d902d074f1d30eac10.jpg

IMG_8454.thumb.jpg.ce1ca7cdb7c6619e1e62b76d655924e0.jpg

476th vFG Alumni

My challenge now is finding the right switches for the right price. I need full size toggles, like the TM:WH has in it, but I'm struggling to find them for under £2-3/$3-5, which seems a little steep to me.

UK guys my ears and eyes are open if you can help!

Perhaps this one?

[/url]http://www.conrad.com/Toggle-switch-1-x-CH-21-mm.htm?websale7=conrad-intπ=700380&ci=SHOP_AREA_17385_0216100

or this

http://www.conrad.com/Flip-switch-R13-25A2-01.htm?websale7=conrad-intπ=701020&ci=SHOP_AREA_17385_0216100

Usually the flip switches are quite expensive (over 1.50 EUR) :mad:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Dzus rails completed

I managed to get my Dzus rails sorted this afternoon, I still need to plane the outside edges, then the next step is to start working out measurements for panels!

I'll be doing some research on that tonight so if anyone can throw any useful numbers my way that'd be great, but of course I'll be searching around here aswell.

IMG_8456.thumb.jpg.ed7e56bbc9d40f5f689d191d358ad3cc.jpg

IMG_8457.thumb.jpg.0fd942f6471c7c9ce2d4de42084a0513.jpg

476th vFG Alumni

Good Progress!

Today has been a productive one!

Lots completed and a real step forward in the progress of the consoles.

First I made a cover for the Dzus rails, for a number of reasons. The first being that I needed to space the panels up a little bit higher to be flush with the throttle, as I wanted all my panels to be the same height. The second reason was to allow me to have a flush surface to mount my panels on. The softwood rails were ok but not completely flat in places, but this is a perfectly angled surface meaning I'll have no wobbly corners when I build and fit more panels.

Next I went out and bit the bullet on some switches, a little pricey, but they are perfect for the job, so I guess I'll be happy in the long run.

I measured up a panel and got drawing, then cutting. I also cut a top panel which will have all the labels and so on, once I figure a way to get them on there accurately! The stacked height of each piece works out exactly so each panel will be the same height, which is nice! The one thing that did frustrate me a little is that the switches weren't quite as tall as I'd hoped, so they don't quite reach through the top cover. In the future I'll look at making a 2-3mm acrylic cover instead, which will eliminate this problem.

Tomorrow I'll give the panels a lick of paint which I think will really make the difference. I need to finish the side cover for the consoles and they'll be ready for some grey coat aswell.

Anyway, less words, more pictures!

IMG_8461.thumb.jpg.f1682f72d91585f9d7617ef2869bc7c7.jpg

IMG_8466.thumb.jpg.556cf411e25438319de443e678344a48.jpg

IMG_8467.thumb.jpg.a1c65fd3d163e471cb01fdcac071e30d.jpg

IMG_8471.thumb.jpg.73616d249aea3a018f762141827cb4dc.jpg

IMG_8473.thumb.jpg.908b2d9cb5e81e8c143b0a28ff423328.jpg

Edited by Ragtop

476th vFG Alumni

your work is looking very good just an FYI the panels are not all the same height the AN/ARC 164 and the CDU are thicker than other panels that are .25 inch thick

Edited by Deadman

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Wow, nice work, so what if it's not exactly the correct size, it looks excellent.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Finally I fund your tread...:music_whistling:

So u did use MFD to panels to?

A bit thick maybe?

Else it looks good!

Keep the panels coming :prop:

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

Hi there Ragtop,

Looking very very good, I`ve been looking for decent toggles too, where did you find those ??, also what you cutting your wood with, just a jigsaw, I`ve only got a crappy old thing i bought from BnQ for about £15 years ago and it pulls to right all the time, anyway keep up the good work.

all the best Grayson

Yeah I am using MDF, but I think I might try 3mm plywood instead, you're right, 6mm for the top panel is a little thick, the switches don't protrude as much as I'd have liked.

Why do u not change place with the MFD´s? Noticed that u did countersink the nuts, so u get the right high on the switches if u change!

Only thing is that u need to cut out bigger holes in lower part so switches fit.

Like I did. :D

Win 10 64. GTX1080 ti 11 Gb, Intel i-5, 16 Gb ram, SSD 1,5 Tb, 2 Terrabyte HD, Monitor ASUS XG32V 144Hz, Slaw Milans Rudder Pedals BF109F :thumbup:, Joystick - HOTAS Warthog, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR V5. Pimax 5.

Grayson; My toggle switches I got at Maplin Electronics, they were a little pricier than I would have liked (£2.49 each) but they're built well, so I guess its buy high, buy once.

The tools I have been using are modest but doing a fine job. The real go to's for me have been and old Black and Decker jigsaw of my dads, which I think is a LOT older than I am! Also his B&D power drill has been very useful for starting off my inside edge jigsaw cuts. Funnily enough just now my GF and I were saying that the thing I absolutely couldn't have done without are the two ancient G Clamps I've been using alongside my dads workmate stand. I've gotta say, Black and Decker stuff is top shelf, in both quality and reliability, all the tools I'm using have been in his shed since he was my age!

Strix; A good suggestion and one I've considered, however I don't like the nuts showing through, I wanted to cover them, like the real A-10 panels. I'm still toying with different designs so it remains to be seen where I settle.

476th vFG Alumni

Haha I couldn't comment first hand, all of this gear is vintage! :P It's a shame when good brand names go downhill, seems all too common nowadays.

Definitely agree on the will to build part, unless you're in the right frame of mind it's very easy to make silly but costly mistakes!

476th vFG Alumni

Ok. but I use the laminated paper to cover the nuts!!

I make the holes smaller so I don't see the nuts.

The pic is crap, but u may see it any way :megalol:

IMAG0140.thumb.jpg.9034e5390235a6524ce70e3cd11592dc.jpg

BTW.

Here u can see why I cant build more then 1 side of pit.

Maybe I can build right side if I make it shorter and smaller...

BTW.

U see computer under my seat!?!?!? :surrender:

IMAG0142.thumb.jpg.b50e1a79ece7a50a8c8eac54ddff8062.jpg

IMAG0141.thumb.jpg.253847aef5efec1dcb10a652bdb59a66.jpg

*snipped*

What's your username in World of Tanks? I play too.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly