Cockpit and panels

Lydo

Hello again.

My father is playing this game but unfortunately hes not so good with english although is is kinda good at simulators and is realy excited about this game.. hes english skills are very low but yet he somehow manages to understand the manual that I dont understand!

He has one question though. Its about the cockpit panels.. is there a way to make the panels & etc appear/disappear like you can see in the below picture's top left corner:

http://www.flightsim.com/review/learpnl.jpg

Afaik it is possible in Microsoft Flight Sim to make all the important stuff appear/disapper like that. Is it possible in this game?

I havent played flight sim's myself but my father feels its really slow and impractical to use only the cockpit view and having to "manually" find all the buttons from the cockpit which indeed feels very impractical as I tried it myself. My father found key combinations (Windows key + numpad keys) for 2 of these panels but it is not enough he says. He wants to have such panels for weapons, radar and everything else aswell.

One could argue that real pilots have to find the buttons "manually" aswell but its another thing with having actual real buttons and real hands than having to do the same thing through computer instruments. Its slower and impractical.

Hes playing with the sim-mode with the latest version of the game.

Thanks for the info if anyone has anything to share.

setup some custom snapviews and keybinds, thats the best you can do without trackir. I use this myself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Short answer: No, you can't do that in this sim.

but there are the Snap Views (once I figure out how to use them I tell you how :D)

You can save particular cockpit views, than simply snap the view to those saved locations.

General Nerd :pirate:

Intel I5 4ghz, 16Gb Ram, GTX1070, Saitek X55 HOTAS

its easy to setup :

first you need to open the file DCS A-10C\Config\View\View.lua with notepad or something and set :

DisableSnapViewsSaving = false

UseDefaultSnapViews = false

then in game in keyboard configuration find "Save Cockpit Angles" and "Snapview 1-10" and bind them to some easily reachable keys.

then i recommend to cold start in parking area and look around, press the snapview 1 button, position your camera where you want that view to be and press the save key. Repeat this with all the remaining snap views. It will always save the current camera angle as the last snap view used. Dont forget you can even move the camera position within the cockpit as well as look around and zoom. This way you can setup your snapviews, save them and anytime instantly recall them by pressing the snap view button 1-10. Easy and useful.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Yup, another vote for spending some time to learn snap views. They take a bit of time to get used to at first, but once he's got the hang of operating them quickly it's very natural.

Of course a TrackIR is the best solution :P

476th vFG Alumni

He might consider getting a Gameboard which will allow for easy access to often used key presses like the autopilot mode and others. I have a Logitech G-13 Gameboard which i've strategically placed alongside my chair and at hip height. I use it for snap and toggle views of the two MFCD's(really usefull), AP, radio communication, and HOTAS functions I need to map to keyboard including slew control, the gameboard comes with an 8 way hat.

I have to agree that the G13, if you are looking for an extra interface, is a great choice. It is a convenient place to map functions that would take more than one key on the main keyboard and the mini joystick can be very useful as well.:thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Don't use Notepad.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Just to add why you shouldn't use the windows stock notepad: It will screw your files! Just to make bclear that notepad++ is not recommended due to someones personal preference.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

I'm trying out the snap view myself, but they .. well they just snap. When I let go off the button the view go back where it was.

Is there a way to make them stay there. Quite hard to keep the button pressed, have 2 hands on the HOTAS and click with the mouse at the same time :D

General Nerd :pirate:

Intel I5 4ghz, 16Gb Ram, GTX1070, Saitek X55 HOTAS

I beleive with the X52 you have to set up a macro in SST to create a toggle type switch. Tap once it's "on" tap a second time and it's "off".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 1 month later...

I changed my in-game key bindings to only use the "NUM0" key (it has no other use) to start & stop the snap view toggle.... then use the number pad keys to view the panels you want.

If he has another monitor he may want to check out helios.

As far as I know you cant do what you had shown in the picture.

Edited by jeffyd123

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor