Kinect PC is coming. Bye bye TrackIR?

If game company x and joystick manufacture y wanted to make an exslusive deal, so be it. Would it be worth it for me to buy both products? Probably not.

But this is different. Naturalpoint created a unique product and protects heir drivers for that product. You think M$ wouldn't care if some 3rd party makes a product that uses the Kinect drivers and software?

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

But this is different. Naturalpoint created a unique product and protects heir drivers for that product. You think M$ wouldn't care if some 3rd party makes a product that uses the Kinect drivers and software?

1. Their product is not unique. Look at the Wii-mote. They do not hold any patents, contrary to what they make believe. All the algorithms are public domain, or they would damn sure have got a patent for them, which they do not.

2. This is only about the API, the few lines of trivial software code that interface the data that the tracking solutions put out with the games, not about the software, not about the drivers. There are even laws against using an industry standard API as means for a monopoly. Look at FSX, Microsoft used their heavy footprint on the sim market to stomp NPs demands from the beginning and implemented a separate API. It's not rocket science.

Let's move this discussion to PMs or cease. This thread is not the place.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I am curious what the CPU usage differenecss are between TIR and Kinect will be......

I am a researcher and work on kinect. Unlike TIR, currently there is no onboard processor on kinect. The sensor can provide both RGB and depth image with 640x480 resolution at 30 FPS. However, even the calibration (matching the RGB and depth pixels) are performed on the host machine.

An application specifically developed for head vector tracking may use only depth pixels and bypass most of the complex computer vision algorithms and perform comparable to freetrack.

My feeling exactly...

Kineck is a good way to show yourself more retarded than you are.(or would it be the true shinning out yourself?)

Its no wonder it has more real application outside than inside gaming industry like guiding blind people....

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe... MS FSX had fore knowledge of Kinect coming along? Hardware like Kinect just doesn't get developed overnight, eh?

Probably did have that advance knowledge, since its both MS, and a good bet too that FSX Simconnect was designed with MS resources and didn't rely on copywritten third party SDK's.

The joystick (game/ stick developer) argument is always an old moot point (and only effective on youngens) as DirectX has had joystick interfacing for years now, and probably always will.

A better one is, for instance, why can't CH profiler be used with the Warthog HOTAS or vica-versa?

Hopefully with Kinect for PC coming along, DirectX will eventually contain a headtracking module, just like the joystick module.

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 3 weeks later...

So far i ve seen much hipe over Kineck, a lot of serviçe for under 12 years old games with simple patern recognition (fruit ninja, mario kart), and a lot of people looking retarded trying to adapt it for more "grown up" games (Skyrim, FPS), and Imho it end up as something that is more a hindrance to the gameplay than anything else.

Kineck still need a lot of dev for the kind of gaming i do like Flight sims and few FPS like arma (very sparse) and STALKER (now on terminal stage).

I am aware it will come, that TrackIr should worry a lot, but right now the results are still unimpressive, and track ir like systems still obtaining a better performance.

Though if If a company release IR bracers to tag along the body (or any device for what matters)and an algorithm able to translate body ,arm and leg stance in a fast and easy way to simulate run, crouch, leaning, walking, crawling etc, and a game able to translate it to game movement and merge it with weapon lenght and so we are able to do a good medieval fight (bow, 1 handed weapon, shield, 2 handers and 2 handed) or firefight (with real positioning for cover fire stance weapon lenght, etc) i m screwed, sold, divorced, moved to another apartment/house, broke, fired for non appearance on job, etc...

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Kinect doesn't hold a candle to TIR. Sorry to smash any illusions here, but you're unlikely to find hardware more temperamental than the Kinect, or fundamentally misaligned with any concept of precision or efficiency. I own one, and it can barely track my hand properly in optimal conditions. Doesn't help that it's calibrated for distances pretty much incompatible with a desk/monitor setup.

TIR, with trackclip pro, is superior simply because it's reliable and smooth, whereas Kinect is slow and unreliable by necessity of having to interpolate reliable periodic sets of data, rather than a reliable constant set of data. Also, who the hell isn't using headphones when playing anyway?

Headtracking is one thing; How do you expect to use hand gestures with no tactile feedback and no fine finger tracking (yes I know what they've said and demonstrated, No it doesn't work the way you think it does or would like it to) at half a second's latency in the context of a cluttered cockpit? Oh dear, I was going to adjust the radio frequency but instead i turned off all my SAS channels, turned off the EAC and tested my warning lights in the process. Whoopee.

But I'm sure some poor soul will create a hacky implementation for us to sigh at before too long.

• 2 years later...