Once in a thousand games...?

VFA41_Lion

So I was testing out my Superhornet mod's pylon positions in the mission editor, and in the game I've got the E model and the C model facing off, each going head on, and both fire an AIM-120, 27 miles away from each other.

BAM. The missiles collide with each other in mid-air. :hehe:

If the 120 was fired without lock, it could have automatically locked up the incoming missile, or the same if it lost lock of the original target... I remember that I could on rear occasions pick up missiles on the radar back in fc1, so a 120 might possibly also be able too....

Help Beczl with his DCS MiG-21Bis project

by Pre-Ordering DCS MiG-21Bis module NOW!

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PRE-ORDER PAGE AT INDIEGOGO

Sadly, I don't have the track... and even if I did you'd probably have to apply my WIP superhornet mod for it to work :p

Two men in black knocked at the door and took the track with them

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"It's a good landing, if you can still get the doors open"

If the 120 was fired without lock, it could have automatically locked up the incoming missile, or the same if it lost lock of the original target... I remember that I could on rear occasions pick up missiles on the radar back in fc1, so a 120 might possibly also be able too....

I suppose that's *possible*, but the radar return signature on an AIM-120 heading straight at you would be countless orders of magnitude smaller than the giant, angly aircraft that fired it. I imagine the doppler return on it would be high, but, well, the front of an AIM-120 has all the radar cross section of a coffee can...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd say it's impossible for an AMRAAM to get a lock on another AMRAAM if they're heading against each other from the exact opposite direction.

a) The nose would deflect 99% of the radar emission. The fins are really thin too.

b) I don't think the AMRAAM has mm wavelength radar. It's designed to find and track much bigger things, so it's definitely cm radar. And lack the resolution to pick up such a small object, and it would most likely be discarded by the software as noise.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

I only added the suggestion as a possibility, but as has been pointed out above, it seems highly unlikely if not impossible for this scenario. But if the range is short enough, surly an AMRAAM can "see" another? Even to the point where it is no longer regarded as noise? The probability of a random mid air collision between to relatively tiny missiles seems so far-fetched despite considering the "equalness" of the AI.... But as said before, track, or it didn't happen;)

PS: Keep in mind that LO/FC/DCS missiles don't really know what a real missile can or cannot do...

Edited by Inseckt

Help Beczl with his DCS MiG-21Bis project

by Pre-Ordering DCS MiG-21Bis module NOW!

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PRE-ORDER PAGE AT INDIEGOGO

A friendly F-15 fired a heat seeking missile at a helicoptor and I flew between the two and the missile started tracking me, it didn't actualy hit me but I had to take evasive manoeuvres.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

... But if the range is short enough, surly an AMRAAM can "see" another? Even to the point where it is no longer regarded as noise? ...

Maybe this is just a bug, which makes the missile recognize another missile as a regular radar-visible air object thus locking it in some cases

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"It's a good landing, if you can still get the doors open"

a) The nose would deflect 99% of the radar emission. The fins are really thin too.

False myth, radome must be transparent to radiowaves in order to let own signals spread out. So what AMRAAM radar really see is the flat radar dish of the incoming missile, whose return cannot be underestimated.

Regards!

Aww, sniped! I was going to point out the radome was (edit: RF-transparent) transparent.

However, it is ALSO worth considering that if you have two AMRAAMs heading toward each other, in the same piece of airspace, transmitting energy on the SAME FREQUENCY, the missile might "think" the emissions from the other AMRAAM is jamming, switch to Home On Jam mode, and home in on the radiating emitter that is "jamming" them.

...but as has been said before, how a real AMRAAM would behave in this situation has nothing to do with the observed results in this case; if the programmers programmed the simulated AMRAAM to be able to see and home on other missiles, that's what they'll do.