Extreme Tempreture Start-up Problem

Rainbowed

Hello! I'm new to the forum and wanna ask something strange happened to me.

I've tried start up my engine many times under very cold conditions when tempreture is -35 or below, and I kept having the problem that the ENG START CYCLE caution light will never go off even after 10 minutes of waiting for the engine to warm up.

Strange thing is that the Core Speed Indicator and the ITT all looks exactly like when the engine is running idle normally, but the ENG START CYCLE light just won't go off.

So, after ~15 minutes of waiting, I stopoed caring and dicided to go on and start the right engine. But when I move the throttle of right engine from OFF to idle, nothing happens. It won't start.:cry:

Then some time later I tried the mission again and pushed it a little off the "edge". I gave my left engine a full throttle for 2 or 3 seconds, magically, ENG START CYCLE light off, and I was able to start my right engine.

I've gone through it many times now and it seems the only way to get the ENG START CYCLE light off and start the second engine is to run the first engine full throttle for few seconds.

So, is it just me or someone else have had this strange thing happened? Should I wait even longer for the engine to warm up or A-10C's engine is just not good for cold-start under such low temp conditions?

Anybody?

Edited by Rainbowed

-35 C? Real world you wouldn't be operating an A-10 in those temperatures without using heaters blowing hot air into the APU and engines (among other places).

Ok, that helped, guess I will just have to make the temp a little higher. Thanks Paulrkiii!!:thumbup:

One morning I stepped to fly at BAFB on a cold morning and found ice on the wings. The ground troops looked at me like I was nuts when I asked what the de-ice plan was.

My wingman and I taxiied to the arming area then sat in each others exhaust to deice the wings. Worked great!

Leroy

Edited by Leroy

Leroy

3000 Hrs A10A

"Start light out" was always a call to the Crew Chief. The ATS will crap itself if it continues to run.

Leroy

In the 17 years I've crewed A-10's I have never had a pilot say "start light out." What the norm has been, for me anyways (at multiple bases in multiple squadrons) is:

Pilot: Chief, 1 clear

Me: 1 clear

Pilot: Motoring 1

Pilot: 30%, over the hump

And that's it, same process for 2. Only difference is some pilots don't motor the engines first.

One morning I stepped to fly at BAFB on a cold morning and found ice on the wings. The ground troops looked at me like I was nuts when I asked what the de-plan was.

My wingman and I taxiied to the arming area then sat in each others exhaust to deice the wings. Worked great!

Leroy

NFLFlag.jpg

I find this strange...a good crew chief wouldn't even let you start up the jet if there was ice in front of the intakes let alone taxi...

Never heard a pilot talk about crew chiefs as ground crew let alone call EOR "the arming area"

My we are picky. Perhaps you should have been there. I was taught to call out the starter cutout. Sometimes they don't shut down by themselves. Start signal was twirling one finger. Not necessary to motor unless you have a strong tailwind and the engine is windmillimg backwards.

It was heavy frost and was not in front of intakes. Fighter pilots call it the arming area. Maybe that's why you left the flying to the pilots. They weren't all crew chiefs. Are you a female?

:):):thumbup:

In the 17 years I've crewed A-10's I have never had a pilot say "start light out." What the norm has been, for me anyways (at multiple bases in multiple squadrons) is:

Pilot: Chief, 1 clear

Me: 1 clear

Pilot: Motoring 1

Pilot: 30%, over the hump

And that's it, same process for 2. Only difference is some pilots don't motor the engines first.

NFLFlag.jpg

I find this strange...a good crew chief wouldn't even let you start up the jet if there was ice in front of the intakes let alone taxi...

Never heard a pilot talk about crew chiefs as ground crew let alone call EOR "the arming area"

Edited by Leroy
  • Like 1

Leroy

3000 Hrs A10A

My we are picky. Perhaps you should have been there. I was taught to call out the starter cutout. Sometimes they don't shut down by themselves. Start signal was twirling one finger. Not necessary to motor unless you have a strong tailwind.

It was heavy frost and was not in front of intakes. It is called the arming area. Maybe that's why you left the flying to the pilots. They weren't all crew chiefs. Are you a female?

It has nothing to do with being picky but making sure people on these forums, who have no access to an A-10 for real, know what you (or I for that matter) know what we're talking about. You're new here so you don't know but you answer vauge you'll have a ton of additional questions/pms.

EOR...I didn't say you were wrong, obviously there is an arm and dearm end, I've worked both more times than I can count. I said I've never heard it called that by a pilot.

Oh...and I'm not a female but thanks for the question...

Edited by Snoopy

One morning I stepped to fly at BAFB on a cold morning and found ice on the wings. The ground troops looked at me like I was nuts when I asked what the de-ice plan was.

Leroy

Edit: Never mind, Found it in another post.

Edited by Underleft

Shortly after my DIY deice They came up with a plan. Couldn't believe they thought it was no big deal to fly an airplane with ice/frost on the wings.

I was an airline captain for 20 years. Started out in Chicago. I got the coldest I have ever been there. I am no stranger to ice/snow/ and dei-icing.

Leroy

3000 Hrs A10A

It has nothing to do with being picky but making sure people on these forums, who have no access to an A-10 for real, know what you (or I for that matter) know what we're talking about. You're new here so you don't know but you answer vauge you'll have a ton of additional questions/pms.

EOR...I didn't say you were wrong, obviously there is an arm and dearm end, I've worked both more times than I can count. I said I've never heard it called that by a pilot.

Oh...and I'm not a female but thanks for the question...

No sweat. Just because you never heard don't mean it ain't so. I am no stranger to online forums. This is a bit unique because you have everything from kids to old farts like me.

Peace and Love.

Leroy

3000 Hrs A10A

I think I may know what Leroy is talking about. I've seen them fly and not deice with frost on the wings. Not really 'ice', I suppose. I've wondered about it myself but I've seen the de-icer truck *not* used more than it was used. At least at Lakenheath.

In Mountain Home ice and cold is such a problem they deice no matter what. I'm actually pretty sure they just deice simply to melt everything around the aircraft. If it's really bad in winter you'll literally be standing in an inch of deicer fluid. Chock ropes are acting like sponges... ugh.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use to have a picture of heaters blowing on the gear to keep them from freezing but I can't find it...

I have a few pictures of that from when I was in Alaska, I'll have to wait to get home and post them.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

In the fe..i mean blue corner we have paulrkiii aaaand in the red corner we have Leroy

DING DING!!!!:love:

tHIS WAS MEANT IN THE NICEST MANNER POSSIBLE ;)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LOL....nah we're good...pilots and crew chiefs bump heads from time to time :D

Normally I'm not the guy to instigate but hehe i couldn't resist on this one :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I absolutely understand paulrkii's "interrogation" of leroy. Whenever there is someone new who claim to have (in this case hugely) relevant experience, it's nice to have it confirmed before starting to absorb everything the person says like a sponge. It's even happened here on these forums, someone claimed to have certain RL experience, but turned out to be misleading others... It's a lot of weirdos on the web remember;)

But that aside, I'm glad we have Leroy onboard, it's a huge asset to have input from actual pilots, and a former A-10 pilot is just gold! :)

Help Beczl with his DCS MiG-21Bis project

by Pre-Ordering DCS MiG-21Bis module NOW!

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PRE-ORDER PAGE AT INDIEGOGO