Is the reset trim to neutral button cheating?

XarBat

Is the reset trim to neutral button cheating?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Is the reset trim to neutral button cheating?

• Yes
    • No

not all of us have 8 Axes (pitch, roll, rudder, throttle, rpm, and the 3 trims)

that being said I personally don't use trim reset...

besides how long would it take to reset trim in the pit of a real 51? the 3 knobs are all right there easy to manipulate back to center

I don't think it is usefull enough to be a cheat.

There is almost no situation, while airborne, where being able to zero all control surfaces instantly is going to be beneficial, much less advantageous.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't think it is usefull enough to be a cheat.

There is almost no situation, while airborne, where being able to zero all control surfaces instantly is going to be beneficial, much less advantageous.

It is advantageous to do it before going into a high speed dive, and right after takeoff.

It is advantageous to do it before going into a high speed dive, and right after takeoff.

'Right after takeoff' is not significant with regard to the question at hand since the those moments are hardly mission or combat critical.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I would regard a cheat as something like - using your guns to fire harpoons at flying whales, and catching one!!!

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Have you look at the trim wheels when the keys are pressed? They slowly turned as if done manually.

The only real advantage in the reset button is not having to look to get back to zero. I assume the reset trim button does not cause anything to happen more quickly.

Moreover, for there to be a really useful advantage, you would want a separate reset for each control surface.

If you are determined to consider it a cheat, the only valid criteria that I can see is the simple fact that such a control did not exist in the real aircraft.

If you are determined to consider it a cheat, the only valid criteria that I can see is the simple fact that such a control did not exist in the real aircraft.

sure there did, it's called a left hand. You place the "left hand" mechanism on the trim wheel, and work it rapidly until the "left hand mechanism" signals that the detent has been reached.

sure there did, it's called a left hand. You place the "left hand" mechanism on the trim wheel, and work it rapidly until the "left hand mechanism" signals that the detent has been reached.

If you can reset three dials, in two different planes, by different amounts and in different directions simultaneously...without looking, then you don't need the button in the first place.:P

Nitpicking here but yes it is a cheat because;

Its not in the original plane

It can be advantageous in combat.

(as well of other aspects in the game)

Why? when you press trim reset for whatever reason, all trims go to zero.

In the meantime you can keep looking out the cockpit following bandits or whatever.

If you were to manually reset trim, your forced to look at the trim wheels and by doing so your losing situational awareness outside the pit.

In a dogfight this is almost guaranteed to cause you losing visual contact whit the bandit.

Same can happen in formation flying to, your resetting trims, looking at the wheels, and all of a sudden you find yourself alone separated from your flight.

Vulnerable for enemy attacks.

I know that resetting trim in combat isn't necessarily useful but if you wish to reset trims and use the reset trim command i'd personally call it cheating.

just my $0.02

~S~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

If you were to manually reset trim, your forced to look at the trim wheels and by doing so your losing situational awareness outside the pit.

In a dogfight this is almost guaranteed to cause you losing visual contact whit the bandit.

Same can happen in formation flying to, your resetting trims, looking at the wheels, and all of a sudden you find yourself alone separated from your flight.

Vulnerable for enemy attacks.

Why would you need to look at the wheels? Would you not be setting trim based on the attitude of the aircraft, which would be difficult to judge if you were not looking outside?

Granted, if your goal is zero, then you would need to look, glance really, but how often would you actually 'zero' your trim in flight?

Note: I know next to nothing about flying a real or simulated aircraft.;)

The only time I use it is right after takeoff to recentre the YAW trim as I use the pilot model and can't see the control.

Ditto, I use the pilot model as well, and the only times I use trim reset is after I pull the LDG up after takeoff and after touchdown when I'm rolling out and pulling the flaps up.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Not a cheat.

I'm not using it, and don't really see the need because I add / remove trim gradually as I fly to get the plane "right" for my current speed....

Hey, I have the trim controls mapped to a hat switch..... is that a "cheat"? :music_whistling:

Now I did like the idea of air-to-air harpoons mentioned in an eariler post.... do you think that feature can be included in a future patch? :pilotfly:

Best wishes.

Not a cheat.

Hey, I have the trim controls mapped to a hat switch..... is that a "cheat"? :music_whistling:

Best wishes.

Yeah, really. If you want to be really authentic, use the mouse for all switches that are not on the stick and throttle.

My trim wheels are mapped to hat switches with rudder trim and trim reset on same hat. Also fuel selector switch is on a hat. Feels good to me and makes my flying very enjoyable. If you want to work it any other way, that's just fine too. I find myself looking down and watching the controls move anyway and find that odd of me.

Loving the Mustang and DCS!

Jim

i7 920, 6G DDR3, EVGA X58, 2-GTX285 SLI, Win 7 64

it ain't cheating, and neither zooming in on the HUD in the A-10 for gun runs, since the default view distance at default zoom is 1.5 nm, you can see that black speck when you're well over engagement range. At least I don't zoom in...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

It's not necessarily cheating, but what is it needed for? On the ground, you have enough time to visually check for takeoff trim. In the air, changing trim to a setting that absolutely does not match your flight parameters is something that you shouldn't want to do if you value your life.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!