Air Combat Training School (ACTS)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon just dug these out for me to read through...YIKES!!!

Common Core Ground School Notes

CCGS.jpg

ELLS228:

Not to put a damper on ACTS but if you can teach and do the instruction the way it is supposed to be done. If you give Theory, you still have to have some sort of way of making sure students understand. I would assume you are going to teach some study material are you not? ACTS Program kinda dictates that to me if I read it right. This is not all about getting in an aircraft and just learning to fly. ACTS appears to be a comprehensive Course, with study material and instructional flying. I don't think 26 hours is going to get you even close to what you want ACTS to do for you.IMHO. Nav Aids(VOR,NDB Tacan), Hi/lo Tacan approaches,ILS Approaches, Back Course Approaches, IFR Instumentation the list goes on. I am at a lose right now to try and understand what you want to do with ACTS. 26 hours, man your way short.Unless I don't quite grasp ACTS.:cry:

rattler

That's not the full list Pete and is the sortie duration (with instructor) based on all of the other material you will have learnt beforehand by the time you carry out that course. Of course the time could be longer depending on the learning ability of the student.

I'm writing the start of the "manual" now and will post up soon to give a better idea.

Chris.

Edited by Ells228

Looks like it's just the ticket Ells! I don't know what your thoughts are on this because obviously brevity codes differ between airforces. However in the interest of "game" world (dodges the flying beer bottles) it might be handy to have a lingua franca brevity code / radio procedure chapter that could provide a sound basic foundation for the type of communication that a neophyte can expect upon joining an online squadron in a quasi military environment; which is incidentally what I think many look for when they fly combat flight sims ;o).

I wouldn't go back into the military if you paid me all the tea in China, and I don't have the smarts to do what Rattler seems to be suggesting (abusing my brain cells in my youth certainly hasn't helped :megalol:). Your course however hit the right balance ... just don't want noobs nattering off about their weekend or wives in the middle of a bomb loft, if you know what I mean (hence the ratel suggestion).

Either way, your draft proposal looks a killer mate! :D

Cheers!

Edited by Teapot
spelling aaggh

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Thanks Teapot.

Well most squadrons have their own brevity, I know we do in the 74th.

Jon is going to stick to what is used in the armed forces which is pretty much what most squadrons use, albeit it will be English not American, Canadian, Etc.

It's something we can look at for sure.

Ells228:

Ok, I think I know where you are going with ACTS. This should be a good course if people want to spend some time with it. It will surely enhance a persons knowledge and realize that you don't always do straight in approaches etc. I hope students will realize this is a must if you want to fly in a Sqn. and also a must if you just want to fly by yourself, as it will show you the way things happen in the Real World.. This should enhance their flying experience and enjoy the flight sims. cheers.

Looking forward to seeing more on ACTS.

Pete

It isn't a must, and never will be. As far as squadron flying goes, I see zippity-doo in this course that makes you a capable vSquadron pilot (nor would I expect Ells to do such a thing).

It's certainly very valuable, but a must?

Keep up the good work, Ells.

I hope students will realize this is a must if you want to fly in a Sqn. and also a must if you just want to fly by yourself,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It isn't a must, and never will be. As far as squadron flying goes, I see zippity-doo in this course that makes you a capable vSquadron pilot (nor would I expect Ells to do such a thing).

It's certainly very valuable, but a must?

Keep up the good work, Ells.

You don't understand anything about this do you. If you want to fly correctly it is a must. Just like I said. You haven't seen the Course so saying "zippity-doo" just shows how much you really don't understand. Everyone has the right to make up their own mind if they want this or not. If your VSQN. wants to do things in the right way it is a must have Course. I must say and once again you seem to enjoy attacking everything I say and take it out of context to fit your little quips at me. Might be time for ED to take a look at your Monitor statis. You have a nice long list now of attacks on my comments. I find you very childish in your comment and an attempt to entice me into an Inappropriate response.

Edited by rattler
You haven't seen the Course so saying "zippity-doo" just shows how much you really don't understand.

No, it just shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

Everyone has the right to make up their own mind if they want this or not.

Which is exactly why it isn't a must.

If your VSQN. wants to do things in the right way it is a must have Course.

We already do. There are things that are different, but more importantly we don't stop where Ells does. That isn't Ells' fault, what he has is already quite weighty and going further would probably have to be a paid-for venture.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Pete,

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and you know I welcome all comments.

It really depends on the vSquadron of course and what they want the pilot to do. As an example in the 74th we have set ways to taxi out and a silent take off procedure. Each 74th pilot knows it and does it without question.

GG is right, I'm not going to cater for vSquadrons but keep it to what the RAF would teach you if you were in their fast jet programme.

Will this help, yeah I should hope so with the amount of time invested in making it.

Will vSquadrons use it, well it's up to them.

Will it enhance your flying, alone or in wing, yep it will.

Some people will find it harder to learn than others so a good balance needs to be met and that's where VKA comes in.

Cheers,

Chris.

Yep, I think on the surface your course is excellent for forming the basis of flying knowledge, and producing a pilot that is ready to be trained in combat.

This requires a capable flight instructor in a 1-1 environment though, and does not account for learning difficulties or unlearning old habits :/

I would suggest that you focus most heavily on basic flying characteristics and VFR flying, and keep IFR for those who really want to do it. It's hard, and besides most people don't bother with NAVAIDS or proper IFR flight, or they forget this stuff soon after. I believe that the basic flight handling and contact flying is the absolutely most important thing to train up right and solid. Everything else is cake. Just IMHO.

(Because seriously, you would not believe how many people will haul stick in a slice-back in their high-performance bird, regardless of whether it is FC2 or DCS - at 25000' while trying to rejoin on you, then flutter around at 250kts, nose held high trying to catch up to you and wonder why they can't ... nor do they seem to know how to fix their problem. 10nm rejoin ensues - and this is just the non-stressful easy stuff).

Will this help, yeah I should hope so with the amount of time invested in making it.

Will vSquadrons use it, well it's up to them.

Will it enhance your flying, alone or in wing, yep it will.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Opinions please on the following...(I am not an avid or 'hardcore' flight simmer)

Is there an understanding that the sim environment will always lack the rules/regs-heavy real-world environment.

For example most procedures are designed to get things done within a complex military/civil legislative environment, e.g.

If you're VMC on top, with 8/8 cloud down to 800'agl and a Safety Altitude of 3500' ASL, and troops in contact calling for support in an 'Afghan style' non-conventional conflict area, what are your options?

In DCS? Pop the airbrake, descend, and hope for the best...but for real?

Thats the kind of lateral thinking that I enjoy about military flying, and the syllabus aims to get you to a point where you can set rules and then work out how to still get a weapon away! (No I'm not going to discuss RoE)

Also bear in mind that what you've seen is only AFJT, the tactics/weapons course and then OCU are two completely new and separate beasts.

(Because seriously, you would not believe how many people will haul stick in a slice-back in their high-performance bird, regardless of whether it is FC2 or DCS - at 25000' while trying to rejoin on you, then flutter around at 250kts, nose held high trying to catch up to you and wonder why they can't ... nor do they seem to know how to fix their problem. 10nm rejoin ensues - and this is just the non-stressful easy stuff).

Can I get a translation?

No, it just shows that you don't know what you're talking about.

Which is exactly why it isn't a must.

We already do. There are things that are different, but more importantly we don't stop where Ells does. That isn't Ells' fault, what he has is already quite weighty and going further would probably have to be a paid-for venture.

I know more than you do when it comes to ATC procedures and what ever. Professional ATC and ATC instructor for more than 25 years, so don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. You know nothing about me.

You just enjoy your childish snips. I will repeat myself, if a person wants to learn how to do things correctly then this ACTS course will go a long way to the person has the correct information which makes it a must have to do what THEY want. If you don't want ACTS don't take it. Now get off your high horse. Take your must Have and I don't have to suggest where to put it.

Ells, I am not backing down on GG. You might be part of ED here with him but he has no clue about this subject and I won't stand still for his unprofessional snips at me because he is a Moderator and can get away with it. Don't try to cover for him, better to say nothing. When your ACTS Program is all fleshed out, it will stand on it's own merit. End of Conversation.

Opinions please on the following...(I am not an avid or 'hardcore' flight simmer)

Is there an understanding that the sim environment will always lack the rules/regs-heavy real-world environment.

For the vast majority of flight sim pilots, this is true. There are a very few who fly very strictly.

For example most procedures are designed to get things done within a complex military/civil legislative environment, e.g.

Right, and the first thing we get rid of is the rule of law :)

Think about some guys flying their 4-ship COOP ... are they going to care that their DCS ATC is minimal? Nope ... do they need it? Nope. Maybe they need to know how to call initial vs straight in or form, just for themselves.

If you're VMC on top, with 8/8 cloud down to 800'agl and a Safety Altitude of 3500' ASL, and troops in contact calling for support in an 'Afghan style' non-conventional conflict area, what are your options?

In DCS? Pop the airbrake, descend, and hope for the best...but for real?

JDAM if ROE's permit? But I don't know what criteria they'd use RL. I imagine that it depends.

Thats the kind of lateral thinking that I enjoy about military flying, and the syllabus aims to get you to a point where you can set rules and then work out how to still get a weapon away! (No I'm not going to discuss RoE)

Also bear in mind that what you've seen is only AFJT, the tactics/weapons course and then OCU are two completely new and separate beasts.

Cool. I wonder if you could answer some questions:

- Who is your intended audience?

- How do you grade vPilots?

- What happens with a bo-pass?

- How many times do you let a guy come back and try again?

- Are you covering mission qualification?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]