Air Combat Training School (ACTS)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jay, things are still progressing with ACTS and we have already stareted to build the infrastructure to host it; servers, software, etc.

Good stuff I'll look forward to that only just got the game and its been a bit painful setting it up but now its working and just waiting for my trakir5 pro bundle.

I notice you're in London not far from each other I am in Kingston Surrey.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Haha I'm in New Malden, well Motspur Park to be exact ;)

Seriously what a small world we live in LOL quality that's picked me up.

Looking forward to this training thought its all sounding right up my street.

Not that I can't fly a sim I can hold my own, once I finally got it all working today I successfully did the start up procedure and then the trainer says that's it for today go and read the flight manual.

Not me thought I'd be a bit cheeky and taxi out and take off circle round the field and land no problems straight down the middle had to use the full length of the runway forgot to deploy speed brakes doh.

System Spec.

Love those videos been taking notes from the start I shall get some practice in.

I don't suppose you have already created some sort of a list or idiot sheet only having to keep rewinding the video to keep up with you is painful, I was never any good at dictation in English at school hated it.

Or perhaps you already do a tutorial pack including the videos in the order they need to be watched if so how much and where do I sign up.

System Spec.

And I thought that most people on these forums are from the far flung corners of the globe, not just around the corner!

Funny you say that.. I used to live in Staines

There was a time when the world asked ordinary men to do extraordinary things.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well its a small world out there guys lol even though we live not to far from each other we met here first....

System Spec.

• 2 months later...

That made me die a little inside.

With all the fuss over these I would have expected more training rather than just using a few of the right terms to make it sound good, without actually explaining those terms and how/why they are performed/used.

I very much hope Ells and the guys will do so much more than that, and I believe they will. Because proper training material for the non VFW/MP players is very much missing from DCS.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

ACTS is more hands on training Subs, tuition in groups or as individuals.

We're not planning to have missions that you have to fly along with and submit a track. We'll create training missions/videos of course but all evaluations will be done in person.

Think of it like going to an Air Force academy so it's more principals behind flying in combat rather than the skill of flying, although of course this is vitally as important in formation or wings etc.

Cheers,

Chris.

That made me die a little inside.

With all the fuss over these I would have expected more training rather than just using a few of the right terms to make it sound good, without actually explaining those terms and how/why they are performed/used.

I very much hope Ells and the guys will do so much more than that, and I believe they will. Because proper training material for the non VFW/MP players is very much missing from DCS.

What you see in the video is from the advanced aircraft training. You learn all the other terms through BFT campaign. In the event of not knowing something the answers can be found by just asking Sabre. So far the BFT has got me stuck in a few places as well with the Cloverleaf, Defensive Spiral and the Lazy 8. The Clearing turns/G awareness etc is something unique and never been put in a sim(nor had to in the past). But with DCS World and the way in which G is modelled G awareness and G warmup are actually necessary.:joystick:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

ACTS is more hands on training Subs, tuition in groups or as individuals.

We're not planning to have missions that you have to fly along with and submit a track. We'll create training missions/videos of course but all evaluations will be done in person.

Think of it like going to an Air Force academy so it's more principals behind flying in combat rather than the skill of flying, although of course this is vitally as important in formation or wings etc.

Cheers,

Chris.

As an Ip for a Virtual Squadron its actually quite impractical to teach new pilots everything, it will drive you nuts lol. You could probably achieve a faster rate of pilot graduation by combining MP with some SP missions. If you try to teach people everything you'll wind up wasting time where as make the student study and practice and then take them for check rides might be the better approach.:thumbup:

Ideally a campaign like Sabres is very practical in teaching new pilots the basics/advanced stuff because the ME has a lot of good options such as triggers. Another thing I like is FSXs rewards/certificates which is a very good thing for pilots using SP. When I did the learning centre for FSX the Student pilot course gives you the option to actually print your certificate and it also places one inside your log book. If you have a log book system in DCS like whats in Falcon 4 then people will see a graduated/trained pilot from a new pilot by their log book. With FighterOps their goal was to make it similar to all the above and it would have used 2 seat MP as well.

For FSX they now have combat pilot which uses a lot of MP but I still view their approach as impractical as well. The best way is the way FighterOps had planned which is a campaign like BFT and at the end you were a trained pilot. MP 2 seat was going to be for training pilots who are stuck in the pilot training campaign and also to train new pilots.:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

What you see in the video is from the advanced aircraft training. You learn all the other terms through BFT campaign. In the event of not knowing something the answers can be found by just asking Sabre. So far the BFT has got me stuck in a few places as well with the Cloverleaf, Defensive Spiral and the Lazy 8. The Clearing turns/G awareness etc is something unique and never been put in a sim(nor had to in the past). But with DCS World and the way in which G is modelled G awareness and G warmup are actually necessary.:joystick:

If that's advanced I would have expected a more realistic weapons load as well as having to use proper delivery methods.

I was the formation instructor for the 74th Subs and done a lot of teaching, training and educating in real life so don't worry ill have things covered.

Getting from A to B in in A-10 is easy using the CDU and TAD. Now take that away and what have you got, compass and a stopwatch. How many pilots here can navigate using that method.

I'm sure there's lots to learn ;)

As an Ip for a Virtual Squadron its actually quite impractical to teach new pilots everything, it will drive you nuts lol.

It works pretty damn well for us in the 476th. ;) It's not "fast" by the standards of many out there, but then good training never will be.

If I can teach someone who has never even heard of SEMs or a LALD, DB, HADB, HATR, LRS, TTS, Wedge, Fighting Wing, etc., how to do all of it to a combat ready standard in 9-10 training flights totalling around 30 hours I wouldn't say it's at all impractical.

It's all about how you teach and present the material. Of course you can only teach someone who wants to learn.

I'm sure missions like the one you posted are entertaining and well made from a mission design point of view. But I wouldn't say the actual training delivered was all that great. But such is the limitation of scripted offline training.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I was the formation instructor for the 74th Subs and done a lot of teaching, training and educating in real life so don't worry ill have things covered.

Getting from A to B in in A-10 is easy using the CDU and TAD. Now take that away and what have you got, compass and a stopwatch. How many pilots here can navigate using that method.

I'm sure there's lots to learn ;)

I'm sure quite a few will be a bit shocked when the Hawk comes along and they have to learn real navigation, let alone how to fly and land without a HUD. Or perform an instrument depature/approach. :D

Spoiler