Thrustmaser Warthog or TrackIR?

Greetings to the forum!

I have installed DCS A-10 for some time now, I think I've seen all the youtube videos and during my time at work in the office I read the manual ;)

But flying that bird is not much fun, as I have a shitty old joystick which has no good centering abilities. As soon I take my hands away from it I almost do a barrel roll. Releasing bombs is impossible, regardless how well you trimmed the aircraft. :joystick:

As I got back some tax refunds I'd like to invest some of the money into gaming hardware.

So my question is: What is more important for the gameplay? A good joystick like e.g. the TM-Warthog or the TrackIR (plus a medium-priced joystick)?

Thanks

Win10, i5 3570K@4GHz, OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GTX 980, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM Cougar MFD, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, TrackIR5

So my question is: What is more important for the gameplay? A good joystick like e.g. the TM-Warthog or the TrackIR (plus a medium-priced joystick)?

Thanks

When you put it that way I would go with the latter. I love my Warthog but I would much rather trade down to another stick than give up my TIR.

No question in my mind on that score.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Agree with Cichlidfan. I have both, the TM HOTAS Warthog and TrackIR 5. If i had to give up one it would be the Warthog as much as I love it. I don't think I could fly without my TIR anymore. Depending on your budget there are a few decent choices for joysticks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

Then I'll try the TrackIR first.

You won't regret that decision. It's the best money I have ever spent on gaming hardware.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It sounds like you have enough for the Hawg so thats what I'd recommend. I bought a hawg and I am saving up to get track IR. In my opinion, the Hawg makes flying A-10C MUCH easier... Since its a copy of the actual throttle, everything you explained in the manual coincides making it easier to go to work,

Yes there are other good joysticks out there... And we all know the saying about opinions...but IMHO its easier to save 150.00 for TrackIR than to save 450.00 for a Hawg.

Gadgets

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

A good Joystick choice for number 2 would be the Saitek X52 Pro. Make sure it's the pro and not standard which are a world apart IMO.

You could also look deeper and try to find a way to do option 3. The warthog and Trackir. You can find deals on the warthog online and the Trackir 4 is a little cheaper than the 5.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

IMHO its easier to save 150.00 for TrackIR than to save 450.00 for a Hawg.

Gadgets

Well thats also true. Mhh, doesnt make the decision easier.

But in Germany the TrackIR with the ProClip is more expensive than it is in the US (around 180€ = 230$ while the Hawg is 310€ = 390$).

So buying either of them makes your purse cry, or at least sigh for a moment.;)

Win10, i5 3570K@4GHz, OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GTX 980, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM Cougar MFD, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, TrackIR5

Yea bud. As most have recommended, go for the TrackIR and get an X52 or X52 Pro. I've had the regular X52 since like 2007 and it still works like new.

The TM Warthog is indeed a remarkable piece of gaming hardware but if your going to invest so much into simply getting the HOTAS system, might as well get a similar HOTAS system that's capable of being programmed with numerous functions and DEFINITELY buy that TrackIR. Trust me, TrackIR will CHANGE your experience when u fly. It is truly amazing :)

http://www.thehumansolution.com/trackir3pro.html

Select Track IR Pro package combo, it has a brand new TrackIR 4 with Pro Clip for $110 with free shipping, there is also a coupon code WEEKEND5 for 5% off. I ordered mine from there last week, I love it!

As everyone mentioned though, there are other nice HOTAS setups. I have a Saitek x52 HOTAS with rudder pedals. MUCH cheaper than the Thrustmaster HOTAS.

I would not like to fly without my TIR either. Far too used to it and I feel boxed in without it.

However, someone else made a reasonable point. Ut's easier to get the TIR later if you have the funds for the hog now. The hog is the best stick about and it wont be lost on you.

DCS a10 is one of the least demanding games as far as panning around because there is no constant dogfighting- something that TIR is really essential for.

Having TIR makes the game more enjoyable. Having a stick that maps perfectly to the hog is very enjoyable and worth significant value as well.

If you have not had a TIR before I think you could live without it for a while and use an excellent stick.

It's like being asked which I should get first, the car or the gas. Tough choice.

Rudder pedals?

Something like an X-52 has a twist axis for rudder control. The Warthog does not have any such feature. Although the rudder is not needed overly much in an airborne A-10, for most other aircraft it is used a lot more.

I try to keep it as short as possible:

When you really want to learn how the A-10C is operated with all its systems - and not only how it is flown:

First get the TM-Warthog . - as you don't have a hard time to set up modifiers to map all functions of the A-10 HOTAS system. -the cockpit will become your partner, and is not your enemy any more ;).

(...well, if you have no money left and a lot of time - maybe you go also this route;) :

subscribed.gif A picture Tale: "Dual Thrust" or "What I did in my Easter Holiday" )

If you want to also learn how to employ all weapon systems in a real-combat environment - and also have a absolute different Point of View how to "fly " simulation on a desktop system:

You will have to get also a Track-IR to have the needed situation awareness.

(IMHO - It's both - you need a HOTAS+TrackIR when controlling a modern combat-aircraft. When looking only for the immersion of flying : TrackIR first.)

Than get rudders!

-they are not really used much in a A10C with fully working Stability-Argumenting-System, but once you got them ,you will never look back!

- as CichlidFan mentioned : No big issues to control the A-10C when once airborne.

- but taxi/take-off/landing can a "little" difficult sometimes without rudders.

- and don't even think to do a Air-to-Air refuelling without them. - the KC-10 crew will thank you!

Edited by PeterP

We'll I was asking myself the same question and I went the X65 Stick for the Shark before a10c launch and it was right to start with HOTAS first. It's not just a stick anymore, it's the main tool of controlling systems. Latest starting with A10C I was really glad to have a solid HOTAS.

So if you really master the systems in combat situations then you should do TIR, but if you are still learning the systems and procedures i would invest in a HOTAS System to get used to that kind of controlling. By the time you can save for the "sight-aspekt" of the game... imho, of course

K3pl3r

Well thats also true. Mhh, doesnt make the decision easier.

But in Germany the TrackIR with the ProClip is more expensive than it is in the US (around 180€ = 230$ while the Hawg is 310€ = 390$).

So buying either of them makes your purse cry, or at least sigh for a moment.;)

Yeah... Thats the problem with expensive hobbies...The Wallet cringes when ya reach for it.

FWIW, 390.00 is cheaper than what I got mine for here in the states...:smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Guest Izoul123

Track IR first for sure. You can 'get by' with a cheapo joystick. I did it for a while and I don't think I would have invested in the TMWH had I not first experienced the freedom/ease/and immersion that Track IR brings to the sim.

However, once you get the TM Warthog, it's almost unimaginable to use a basic joystick ever again. It is MUCH easier to learn/control the sim with the real deal. I suppose you could buy another HOTAS style control for cheaper, but I'd personally save that money and apply it towards the TWHW instead. The TMWH can be used with other sims/games as well, so you're not stuck with just DSC AC10, although I have no idea why you'd want to even use any other sim now since DSC blows them out of the water. I also had to somewhat 'retrain myself' to the proper way on the stick vs remapped keyboard and joystick commands of what I thought was the best way to interact.

Track IR would for sure be the priority if you can't get both at the same time. TMWH greatly accelerated my learning of the simulation though. I was honestly struggling through a lot of the sim until I got the warthog controller. That is when I had clarity and "Ah, now I get it, (china hat/dms/tms/trim controls/EAC/etc etc etc), all makes sense how it's layed out, how the systems operate which just can't be replicated/as easily learned vs the actual controls. It's nice to be able to push the keyboard back and use just the TMWH for 99% of the sim's controls. The warthog will set you free as well.

Both are truly essential/the most fun/the easiest to control the sim in my opinion. Plan for both, but TIR first. Ideally as others have said, get both at once on a package deal and just be done with it. You want/need both.

Good luck in your journey to both!

Edited by Izoul123

Another alternative would be Trackir + Logitech G940. G940 costs around $300 and comes with force feedback joystick, dual throttle and rudder pedals. I used to have X52 and X52 pro but it's just incomparable with G940.

Good luck and let us know what you got.

Instead of buying a TM Warthog , I would buy a Saitek X52 pro and trackIR5 .

I happen to have a Saitek X52 pro for sale , with original box and setup disc , in good condition . I liked the 52 pro with the rudder feature PM me if your interested ..... I live in Austria , so post wont cost much .

The TIR5 will change the way the game feels like nothing else , but it would be pointless if you dont have a decent joystick . I bought a TM Warthog and its excellant , but is expensive . Only thing I dont like is no rudder feature .

I am considering a set of Saitek combat pedals , or a new IPOD ..... might go for the IPOD first !!!

Edited by badger66

If you're spending the vast majority of your sim time with DCS A-10C, then a TM Warthog is more useful than head tracking in my opinion.

If you fly other games, especially games with more air-to-air combat, then TIR is indispensable. It's almost mandatory. I would not fly online in Rise of Flight or Aces High for one minute without TIR.

But for a dedicated DCS A-10C pilot, I would get the TM Warthog first (and rudder pedals, which you absolutely need with it!) and the TIR later when you can. I should mention that I loathe the X52's ergonomics though. LOATHE!

Edited by Mouse

I have just got my TM Warthog HOTAS...Changes the Game - makes it the Simulator experience others describe. Big cost I know - but worth every cent. Seriously this controller exceeded my expectation - my PC is now setup around my HOTAS - even the keyboard takes a back seat!

If you can afford it - good investment.

Track-ir is also good. But second in the list for me. Not sure but there might be an open source Head tracking system around that only requires a webcam. Not sure if DCS software would need to support it or if ot's handled by the OS... But I'd not be without my trackir for sure

Edited by KiwiPete
Forgot TIR Comments!

Science doesn't have all the answers...but at least it's asking the right questions!

I7 Ivy 2.8 Ghz | 20 GB | GTX - 580 | 24" Dell Monitor | Cougar MFD X2 | 4 Lilliput 8" touch screens | Saitek Cessna pedals | TM Warthog HOTAS | Helios