Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

The Oculus Rift Forum just announced that from now on the next release of Run time SDK will no longer support DX9 and will concentrate on DX11 , I just ordered my Oculus just for DCS does that mean that my Rift will not work with DCS. i really dont understand alot about this SDK software can someone shed some light ?

Here is a link to the post : https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19489

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well considering dcs world right now is dx9 it would see oculus is done with dcs world until dcs world 2 comes out. But i imagine you dont have to update the sdk and maintain dx9 functionality?

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

The Oculus Rift Forum just announced that from now on the next release of Run time SDK will no longer support DX9 and will concentrate on DX11 , I just ordered my Oculus just for DCS does that mean that my Rift will not work with DCS. i really dont understand alot about this SDK software can someone shed some light ?

Here is a link to the post : https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19489

Given that DCS is going to be a showcase sim for the Rift and that DCS 2 will be DX11, I think we have conclusive proof here that DCS 2 will be out ready for the new DK2 runtime!

Surely the logic is sound!?

:lol::music_whistling:

Cheers,

Smirkza

Next year MS will push things to make win10 and DX12 the next standard for everything, resulting in current graphic hardware and installed SO's obsolete. It's always the same story.

By the way, any dx9 game doing the "maths" to render for the Oculus Rift by itself (projection matrix, pixel warp, those things) won't be affected, as far as I know...

Guys, I tried searching but with the 354 pages of in this thread the results are useless, and there are no stickies or that I can see.

Is there a post or link I can follow to get DCS World working with the Oculus Rift DK2?

How about this one: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134177

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Incase it hasn't been stated already... You no longer need to pause the service to get 6dof working

Just run rift in extended mode, with DCS set to auto detect rift and turn cockpit shadows off.

Also found a LOT of the stuttering issues are caused by SLI. If you are using it, disable it for when you use Rift. It also reduced head tracking lag and reduced motion sickness!

Edited by Random

And this app makes it easy to set the RIFT as the primary monitor. Something that's recommended if your monitor doesn't support the higher refresh rates.

hsb

PS: The link above is to:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well, I

-downloaded & installed the latest runtime

-plugged in the rift

-Set the rift display to be sideways in nVidia options

-Set it to Extended mode in the rift configurator

-Fired up DCS

-Waited for a mission to load

-Alt+tabbed out and made the oculus the primary screen

-Alt+tab back into DCS

-Put on the Rift, Click FLY!

Seems a bit drawn out, but not as fiddly as I was expecting.

Amazing immersion, but the resolution really hurts it. There's no way you could fly a combat mission, let a lone do a start up procedure. I think the resolution will need to be 4k minimum for most games, but probably 8k for DCS.

Even still, the immersion is really impressive. My fav was flying the ka-50 at night through a city area, with night vision goggles on. And of course with the pilot model switched on.

The buildings feel like they are tall, when you fly about 15m alt. Really cool. And you have a very good sense of height, motion and speed.

Even the Huey was quite easy to keep in a hover.

If they can get the resolution to 4k or higher then it could be a winner. Anything under 4k imo the oculus will be just a gimmick, for DCS at least anyway.(In other games you forget about the poor resolution pretty quickly, but in DCS you are constantly reminded about it, since nothing in the cockpit or hud is readable)

EDIT: Oh yes, and someone absolutely needs to invent something where you can see your hands in VR, and interact with objects in the game somehow. It's the first thing everyone seems to do, is try to grab things and press buttons.

Edited by FlyingHighAU

Well, I

-plugged in the rift

-Fired up DCS

-Alt+tab back into DCS

Amazing immersion, but the resolution really hurts it. There's no way you could fly a combat mission, let a lone do a start up procedure. I think the resolution will need to be 4k minimum for most games, but probably 8k for DCS.

Even still, the immersion is really impressive. My fav was flying the ka-50 at night through a city area, with night vision goggles on. And of course with the pilot model switched on.

The buildings feel like they are tall, when you fly about 15m alt. Really cool. And you have a very good sense of height, motion and speed.

If they can get the resolution to 4k or higher then it could be a winner. Anything under 4k imo the oculus will be just a gimmick, for DCS at least anyway.(In other games you forget about the poor resolution pretty quickly, but in DCS you are constantly reminded about it, since nothing in the cockpit or hud is readable)

EDIT: Oh yes, and someone absolutely needs to invent something where you can see your hands in VR, and interact with objects in the game somehow. It's the first thing everyone seems to do, is try to grab things and press buttons.

Did you have to Ctrl+Alt + del to Disable the OVR service before you click fly or there is no need any more to do this like somebody just mentioned ??

Well, I

-plugged in the rift

-Fired up DCS

-Alt+tab back into DCS

The biggest problem with the Rift is how hard it is to go back to a silly monitor once you get used to the feeling of being right on the seat of the aircraft.

And the second the resolution.

Edited by average_pilot

:helpsmilie::helpsmilie: please guys somone help me please, i Got my Oculus Rift today , I Setup everything and installed the Run time software before connecting the Rift just as they direct you on the Oculus Rift website , I tried all the demo they work perfect , i also tried a game called Affected and its working great . My problem is DCS i followed all the steps mentioned for getting DCS to work , Rift is in extended mode, trun on DCS , it shows up on my main screen , when i( ALT +TAB) to put the Rift on primary it goes Black Screen.

I have an ATI card ( 6900 ) there were people talking about that problem with ATI and they said to revert back to driver 14.4 which is what i did and still black screen not fixed.

Please if anyone knows of a way to solve this issue i would appreciate the help.

:helpsmilie::helpsmilie: please guys somone help me please, i Got my Oculus Rift today , I Setup everything and installed the Run time software before connecting the Rift just as they direct you on the Oculus Rift website , I tried all the demo they work perfect , i also tried a game called Affected and its working great . My problem is DCS i followed all the steps mentioned for getting DCS to work , Rift is in extended mode, trun on DCS , it shows up on my main screen , when i( ALT +TAB) to put the Rift on primary it goes Black Screen.

I have an ATI card ( 6900 ) there were people talking about that problem with ATI and they said to revert back to driver 14.4 which is what i did and still black screen not fixed.

Please if anyone knows of a way to solve this issue i would appreciate the help.

Unless a fix slipped by my notice, I believe that ATI equipment is a no-go right now.

Since I don't have an ATI, I didn't really look further into it, but I believe that it has something to do with an AMD/Rift/DX9 incompatibility.

Mark

Have anyone with ATI got the Rift working on his machine ?? and if so what Driver version are you running and what Card?

The problem seems to be with the ATI Cards as Markeebo mentioned.

Update:

I've downloaded a game called war thunder , its a flying game, By native the game support the Oculus rift just Like DCS , all you do you check the option in the setting for oculus rift and start the game with the rift in extended mode.

I started the war thunder game and it works fine although the resolution feels like 640 x 640 but thats another issue , So now the Oculus works with all games that supports the Rift ( I tried "Affected " , War thunder , and the Rift demo that comes with the utility ) they all works just fine, it is when i start DCS in Rift The oculus turn black screen although the LED light is blue and the tracking position LED is blue.

Any one has any thoughts ???

Edited by simo1000rr

Welcome to dcs world, I would shelve the rift with ati until dcs 2.0 comes out in two years lol

That's assuring :) , no i think im done with this ATI bullsihit , i got a Nividia card yesterday after the Oculus Support team told me that the problem is with my ATI card.

So, it's possible I'm very late to the party, but has anyone else seen Magic Leap?

Augmented reality system similar to Castar but with a much greater level of versatility.

Still love my DK2 though :D

http://gizmodo.com/how-magic-leap-is-secretly-creating-a-new-alternate-rea-1660441103

The above article is quite good at summing the system up!

Cheers,

Smirkza

If we're to believe some of the Magic Leap claims (as written by the author), it would have the advantage over Oculus. You would be able to interact with your pit/hotas better. Assuming the projection of the cockpit works "as depicted"

I'm sure we'll get there soon enough.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to buy Oculus rift?

Hi,

Wondering if its possible to buy the Oculus Rift yet? I've checked out Oculus website, and it says something like Oculus Rift DK2 is only for developer use. Does that mean I cant use it with E.x DCS?

X-55 Rhino guide to configure the Mouse Nipple to work as TDC slew!

My rig

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

R9 270x 2GB

SSD

Win 8.1 Pro

Sure you can. Just don't expect perfection. Very much in development stages but definitely doable. I've had mine since August and love it. You're just going to have to come to grips with the limitation inherent to the emerging technology. If you can get past that, its a hoot!

If not, then I would suggest waiting till the first consumer version becomes available. Last I heard, it would be late 2015 but someone here "in the know" may have a better grasp of the release schedule.

Markeebo