Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I just got my DK2 in the mail. I got a judder problem fixed that happened whenever I moved my head but when I hit ESC, I can't click on anything with the mouse. Is this a known issue, and if so, is there a known solution?

You need to set the rift as primary display. It can be done just as you start the mission so you don't have to faff about with trying to click on menus o icons in the desktop. The alternative is to uncheck full screen mode but this causes judder for me.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to set the rift as primary display. It can be done just as you start the mission so you don't have to faff about with trying to click on menus o icons in the desktop. The alternative is to uncheck full screen mode but this causes judder for me.

Spent some more time scouring forums and I did figure this out. The problem is that when I alt-tab to my display settings after launching, it sort of messes things up in that low persistence mode doesn't get activated when I do it this way. For those of you with a DK2, what is you workflow for transitioning from in-menu to in-game?

Spent some more time scouring forums and I did figure this out. The problem is that when I alt-tab to my display settings after launching, it sort of messes things up in that low persistence mode doesn't get activated when I do it this way. For those of you with a DK2, what is you workflow for transitioning from in-menu to in-game?

Turn on your rift. Set it to extended mode and primary monitor

Turn off the rift (desktop display becomes primary again)

Launch dcs

Click on your mission (dcs UI disappears)

Before the mission load screen turn on the rift.

The mission will load in the rift with clickable mouse and low persistence.

To end a flight click esc and end mission.

Immediately turn off the rift so the dcs UI loads on your main monitor.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Turn on your rift. Set it to extended mode and primary monitor

Turn off the rift (desktop display becomes primary again)

Launch dcs

Click on your mission (dcs UI disappears)

Before the mission load screen turn on the rift.

The mission will load in the rift with clickable mouse and low persistence.

To end a flight click esc and end mission.

Immediately turn off the rift so the dcs UI loads on your main monitor.

Thanks! I will try this out as soon as I get home!

It's funny, the guys in Elite Dangerous have been exploring this too. The cockpits in that game are quite roomy, even in the fighters, so you can get out of your seat and walk around/look out the window into space. Sadly I can't try it because my setup has my rift camera rather close (mounted on a monitor maybe 3 feet away, whole setup is a Obutto cockpit so I can't move the chair back)

But remember everyone, 'The Oculus rift is a seated experience.' Put it on a mug or something.

Entropy Squadron

Possibly the least serious group of pilots on Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Something I'd love to know is if cockpit shadows will be working in EDGE?

I know only time will tell, but I'm a massive believer in the immersive effects of good lighting and shadows (Alien Isolation does this oh-so-terrifyingly-well).

Having to keep them turned off for now makes me a little sad.

Cheers,

Smirkza

That is only the official position of Oculus, not reality.

Actually, the device shuts off when you stand up. No, not really, I just figured you'd get the point I was making. You can say 'it is a seated experience' over and over (and Palmer does in his interviews) but that doesn't make it the case.

It is a damn shame they can't embrace standing experiences (and factor them into the design) because people are so god damn sue-happy these days. I wish people would take responsibility for their actions instead of suing knife companies for making knives sharp.

Entropy Squadron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually, the device shuts off when you stand up. No, not really, I just figured you'd get the point I was making. You can say 'it is a seated experience' over and over (and Palmer does in his interviews) but that doesn't make it the case.

It is a damn shame they can't embrace standing experiences (and factor them into the design) because people are so god damn sue-happy these days. I wish people would take responsibility for their actions instead of suing knife companies for making knives sharp.

That's the problem with written communication, often you can't tell if someones says something seriously or not.

This is true, I apologize for the confusion.

I understand Oculus's reasoning, but I lament that VR could be so much more without the legal crap holding it back. Especially with something as simple as standing. If one can't stand up with their eyes closed, they should be wearing a helmet for safety :)

Entropy Squadron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Oculus Rift DK2

Hi,

I'm planning to get a OR DK2 and I want to know if you can zoom in and out with the Oculus Rift DK2 for spooting targets and stuff.

I saw some videos on YT and it looks amazing but for WWII dogfighting and WVR combat I think zooming is nesserary.

Thanks in advance

:joystick:

Off topic:

Happy new year!

:drunk:

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

You cant zoom in and out (fov) with DK2.

Res is too low to combat, you are legally blind with DV2 , sense of flight and depth is great but it's not ready yet for full combat mission use.

-haukka81

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not what you asked but I would say hold off for the first release version. While the res of the DK2 is 1080p... it just isn't good enough for reliably spotting targets in the sky and on the ground since the display is so close to your face (as Haukka said).

Unless you have the extra money burning a hole in your pocket and want to try it out.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Although I like using our DK2 it is not that great for things like combat, it may say 1080p on the box but I've said ever since we got ours that although its good, its abit of a novelty for DCS anyway. Things just dont seem that clear

Reading gauges etc can be a trial at times when doing something moving fast and furious.

Personally I'd buy a couple of good monitors instead ;)

Whenever the next iteration comes along will probably be more ready for things like a2a combat

Pman

If it doesen't suit me, I'll put in on sale here ;)

ED won't let you sell it here.

The reason...

We do not allow resale of our development kits for any reason as they are meant for developers and are not consumer products.

https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/articles/201876806-Can-I-order-the-Oculus-Rift-Development-Kit-2-to-resell-it-or-bundle-it-with-my-product-

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Is there no way to MOD the zoom back into DCS with the rift? Seems like it would be very useful for reading gauges and spotting targets.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Perhaps he sells it to another developer? There have been thousands of these on sold, oculus never cared. At worst they wont give support to a different owner but selling them doesnt seem to be a problem.

Perhaps he sells it to another developer? There have been thousands of these on sold, oculus never cared. At worst they wont give support to a different owner but selling them doesnt seem to be a problem.

I have seen the posts disappear, twice. Just sayin'

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

since one of the updates for OR is stated to be in 2.0. I would wait till then to do a real review. Not saying you shouldn't still do one. but just a FYI.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.