Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Hey folks, I was searching around the forum and don't see anything like what I am experiencing. So I am trying to run DCS World with my DK2 and freshly released SDK 0.4.4 - I can make it running with killing OVRService processes - any feel of being on cockpit is pretty amazing, now the problem that I have is that when I turn my head image seems to be stuttering - ie I can see edges of objects go in right direction, then back, then forward again. I at first thought it was an fps issue - so minimized all graphic options possible - but still with same affect. So my question is - has anybody else seen such behavior? Is there any "view" configuration that I might be missing? Like something that might be adding additional blur/slowness when turning around? Or is there some known option that should be enabled/disabled that I am missing?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just FPS. I'm easily able to hit 75FPS. Rift is primary. Other monitors are disabled when Rift switches on. Still get judder even with graphics at minimum.

4.55ghz 4770k and SLI 780ti's. GPU's never above 75% load even in 4K with EVERYTHING maxed out on a single monitor let alone at minimum everything in Rift!

Its not just FPS. I'm easily able to hit 75FPS. Rift is primary. Other monitors are disabled when Rift switches on. Still get judder even with graphics at minimum.

4.55ghz 4770k and SLI 780ti's. GPU's never above 75% load even in 4K with EVERYTHING maxed out on a single monitor let alone at minimum everything in Rift!

Try with SLi disabled.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I was just making progress... Seems view distance is a HUGE factor with rift. I can get the judder down to acceptable levels with vsync off and view distances right down in minimum detail and resolution.

I still think something isn't right about this!

I would try with SLI off but I just had a BSOD and hosed my DCS install. I'll reinstall tomorrow

Degradation in Oculus Rift experience since 1.2.8

Hi all!

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, I've literally just joined the forum to talk about this, I've had a search and found nothing on the subject though.

I'm a big Oculus rift advocate, I use the rift with any sim that it will work with and DCS is by far my favourite. Unfortunately I'm not a fancy-pants DK2 owner ;) I'm stuck with the DK1 but I enjoy my time in it quite a bit!

I've been traveling for a few months so have been away from my computer and rift for quite a while. When I left my DCS install was at 1.2.8 and I was exceedingly happy with the rift experience I was getting. After getting back from my travels I fired up my computer today and updated DCS to the latest version, eager to try out the new Su27 flight modeling...

I load up a mission, stick the rift on my head and... what is this? Its LEGO VISION.. (other childs building blocks are available) The rift graphics with the DK1 are so bad now that I can't really see anything! I used to be able to make out the velocity vector of the F15 HUD with noooo problem (couldn't quite read the numbers though) but now its just one big green smudge! I fiddled around with my graphics settings for a while and they made no discernable difference... I even updated my oculus drivers etc, no difference. Interestingly the picture on my monitor (mirror of whats in the rift) was just as pixelated so this isn't an issue with the rifts screen resolution its something in DCS's rift setup.

I bit the bullet and rolled back to 1.2.8.... Ahhh.. Thats better. MUCH better.

So:

1. Am I the only one who has noticed this?

2. Did this happen because of an update to make DCS DK2 compatible which somehow borked the DK1 support?

3. Is there a work around? I'd like to be able to run the latest version with Rift support like in 1.2.8... But I have a feeling that isn't possible.

Attached below are a couple of quick smartphone pics I took: The first is of my screen showing what my DK1 image looks like in 1.2.12. Look how blurry everything, including the hud is.

The second is actually through the rift lens showing what it looks like in 1.2.8. Now I know this is far from perfect but its significantly better than 1.2.12!

Sorry for the very long post.

Thanks in advance.

Deano.

Rift1212.thumb.jpg.a811a60cd81632149ac67f4d0d16905f.jpg

Rift128.thumb.jpg.3a563af3aa7b544249ab8d5272308f0c.jpg

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Huh. That's odd.

I for one do not own the Oculus (Really wish I did) so I cannot confirm if this is the same case for everyone, BUT I would suggest going to http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/ and filling out a support ticket, this is most likely the best way of getting answers/finding a fix. Good luck!

• Like 1

Wanna see my latest DCS: World movie?

Follow this link!

My YouTube channel- https://www.youtube.com/user/Gargoyle792nd

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I'm going to try installing the latest version of DCS on my other PC tomorrow and see if It has the same effect and I will report back.

I will file a ticket now but it would be interesting to hear from any other Rifters to see if I'm the only one with this issue..

Cheers

D

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Does anyone tried new Oculus Runtime (0.4.4) in DCS World?

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

Ok, I filed a ticket and just got the reply.

"Our current support is only for the DK2."

So I guess if you have a DK1 then 1.2.8 is your best bet. :cry:

Proud owner of:

Does anyone tried new Oculus Runtime (0.4.4) in DCS World?

Yeh,

works pretty good, and even better ... look shaper than before, and i feel a little bit smother, maybe a little more fps, not sure about that. ;)

By the way, anyone know how to see the communication windows? (ask to land, to takeoff, etc ... )

even on tutorial, i really can't read anything. :cry:

Edited by khiput

i7-8700k - 16Go ram / Nvidia 1080Ti 16Go / CV1 / windows 10 64bits

If you have nvidia and the horsepower try nvidia dsr and run at a higher resolution. Can't wait for nvidia to enable DSR for 3dvision. Word is you can use it with the rift and helps out quite a bit. My oculus was about to ship but cancelled after hearing all the low res problems. I'll pick up the official one and hopefully all the teething issues will be mostly fixed.

So give dsr a try

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

New runtime works fine without any hiccups, at least for me.

Can't say I've noticed any changes (for better or worse) after installing it, but then I've been too busy focusing on shooting down 109's with my HAWK :music_whistling:

Smirks

Cheers,

Smirkza

Yeh,

works pretty good, and even better ... look shaper than before, and i feel a little bit smother, maybe a little more fps, not sure about that. ;)

By the way, anyone know how to see the communication windows? (ask to land, to takeoff, etc ... )

even on tutorial, i really can't read anything. :cry:

Thx.

You can find some information in this threads:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129920&highlight=bigger+font+mod

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2028218#post2028218

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

even on tutorial, i really can't read anything.

Easiest way is to us PeterPs radio mod.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=76225

I have attached my config.lua for it that puts the menu in a great spot with readable size text. I have also attached an example image.

If you need help setting it up let me know and I'll try and help.

Use JSGME for easiest installation.

Smirks

ClickableRadioMenuConfig.lua

1810492673_radiomodexample.thumb.jpg.d93c246b611d553257e37483cb5af634.jpg

Cheers,

Smirkza

Easiest way is to us PeterPs radio mod.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=76225

I have attached my config.lua for it that puts the menu in a great spot with readable size text. I have also attached an example image.

If you need help setting it up let me know and I'll try and help.

Use JSGME for easiest installation.

Smirks

Where does this LUA file go?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Where does this LUA file go?

The LUA sits inside the mods files. If you install with JSGME then find the config folder for the mod and in that is the default ClickableRadioMenuConfig.lua file. Replace the default file with my one then activate the mod using JSGME and bingo, an easy to read radio.

I'm still working on getting the clickable part of the mod to work, but it's no biggy - finding the F keys is easy to do even with the rift on, or even better simply use something like VACS to select the radio option you want.

If you're not used to using JSGME then read this excellent guide for a simple set up method. Most of the best DCS mods use JSGME so using it is really worthwhile -

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Smirkza

Edited by smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

The LUA sits inside the mods files. If you install with JSGME then find the config folder for the mod and in that is the default ClickableRadioMenuConfig.lua file. Replace the default file with my one then activate the mod using JSGME and bingo, an easy to read radio.

I'm still working on getting the clickable part of the mod to work, but it's no biggy - finding the F keys is easy to do even with the rift on, or even better simply use something like VACS to select the radio option you want.

If you're not used to using JSGME then read this excellent guide for a simple set up method. Most of the best DCS mods use JSGME so using it is really worthwhile -

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Smirkza

Is it possible to simply copy your LUA file into the folder where the original one is sitting and overwrite it?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Is it possible to simply copy your LUA file into the folder where the original one is sitting and overwrite it?

No idea. I've never tried it.

It might work, or it might cause your game to become corrupted (until you revert back to the original).

Give it a try, just make sure you have the original on hand in case it all goes Pete Tong.

Worst case, if you don't use mods normally is that you just end up hitting the repair tool and lose a few minutes.

Smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

Putting your hands in the game...was always kinda leary about OR but think this may change opinions making the cockpit fully interactive mainly with DCS aircrat etc.

http://www.cnet.com/news/oculus-vr-buys-hand-tracking-expert-nimble-vr/

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/914389/video-456731-h264_high.mp4

Edited by Call911