Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No,it's not a reset problem - it's like the forward/backwards and left/right axes are swapped - even after reset..

I had something similar to this. And I've read posts confirming this behavior. Most folks uninstalled and reinstalled the runtime.

For me, this didn't work. It fixed itself when beta 0.42 was released.

I recall one time SINCE 0.42 where it reversed axes but a simple reboot resolved it.

Markeebo

So I've been playing Elite: Dangerous with the DK2 and Voice Attack the last few weeks. All I have to say is, I have no concerns about needing the keyboard anymore for DCS: World.

Really can't wait for EDGE and proper DK2 support.

P.S. If you haven't tried Elite and you own a DK2... do yourself a favor and try it.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

So I've been playing Elite: Dangerous with the DK2 and Voice Attack the last few weeks. All I have to say is, I have no concerns about needing the keyboard anymore for DCS: World.

Really can't wait for EDGE and proper DK2 support.

P.S. If you haven't tried Elite and you own a DK2... do yourself a favor and try it.

I agree. Elite is good but I'm finding it a bit repeditive. P3d is also really well implemented. With orbx scenery and a good third party aircraft it is a fantastic experience. The time warp feature is the business. I have smooth tracking even with fps dipping into the 40s. Considering it's an unofficial plugin it is amazing.

I can't wait to see what edge brings. Hopefully they add more to the existing rift implementation.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Try this out....

Extended mode

open Screen Resolution.(right click on Desktop). Change DK2 screen size to 3840x2160

Once in game make DK2 display primary for mouse control.

So far i have matched ingame resolution to 3840x2160 and still not able to see things off in the distance but looks improved. Any suggestions or does it feel the same as 1080, or 5440x1080 ?

Now in beta i see option for even higher resolution!

Edited by will-
update.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

I'm getting more and more determined I'm going to get me a Rift at some point and out of curiosity I had a quick look on ebay to see what was going on there. OMG the prices on there are so stupid right now. I'm seeing the DK2 going anywhere from £400 - £600.

They're not that expensive brand new from the people that make them.

I can only assume the additional price stems from people cashing in on those wanting it right this second.

Crazy man.

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

I've tried to run my computer with the Rift as the only monitor and the performance boost is quite noticeable (at least in my outdated computer). No judder at all before unpausing the simulation (it's the first judder-free experience in DCS for me) and a lot less the rest of the time.

Of course, it's quite cumbersome to use the computer this way, but doable if you prepare what you are going to need before hand.

The steps are: extend desktop to the Rift, set the resolution to 948x1080@120Hz, place shortcuts for DCS and whatever you are going to need on the desktop, shutdown the computer, unplug the main monitor and turn the computer on again.

DCS must run in full screen so it can change the resolution to 1920x1080 when it launches the simulation.

Rift DK2 - I'm taking the plunge.... WOO!

Hi guys,

I've been waiting on some money that's been owed to me and now it looks like It's going to be here in the next day or two and I'm really determined I want to get an Oculus Rift DK2 with some of it.

But before I go spending out like a kid in a sweety shop, I was hoping someone wouldn't mind going over my current PC specs and offering any improvements to get the most out of my system for the Rift.

What parts would you replace and what would you replace them with?

CURRENT PC SPECS:

Mainboard: Intel DH67BL

Chipset: Intel H67

Processor: Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz

Socket: 1155 LGA

PSU: Generic 500W

RAM: 8GB DDR3-1333 @ 667MHz

Graphics: Nvidia GT560 OC

I've got roughly £700 tops to spend including the cost of the Rift.

I was going to just replace my entire PC but wanting the rift means I can't afford a complete new build.

I'm not overly concerned with having the best looking graphics at the highest settings but obviously I want the best I can get for my budget with a reasonable frame rate.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Signed, Mr. very very very excited :pilotfly: :joystick:

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

Have you tried to stand up while on flight and roam a bit around the seat? You can feel the fear of falling in your guts XD

Seated experiences fit very well with current VR hardware, but stand up and walk really makes the virtual environment become surrealistically real.

(if you try it make sure to clear the room so you don't end up falling for real, and place a hand in front of the Rift to avoid collisions with the walls or whatever)

My perspective, as someone who develops VR apps: don't buy a DK2 as an end user -- wait for the commercial product. DK2 is ok, but the resolution is still too low to be useful for sims. Crystal Cove suggests the resolution is going to get another bump before commercial release, and also better head-tracking at all angles.

Also, because of the way the DK2 rendering pipeline works, you need to reliably hit 75fps to avoid judder. I seriously doubt you're going to hit 75fps off a 560 in DCS. :(

I seriously doubt you're going to hit 75fps off a 560 in DCS. :(

This.

I would not waste my money if I were you. Buy a graphics card instead (i.e. GTX 970).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

TBF I only get 60 something FPS most of the time and have a completely smooth experience, and the only thing it really lacks is some far distance clarity, I am running an i5 clocked @ 3.8ghz with a 780GTX.

A GTX970 gives comparable and better results to the 780 from what I have been reading, and only costs around £230 if you shop around, maybe cheaper abroad ?

The DK2 and Elite Dangerous is just unbelievable, works really well in that game due to the nature of the scenes :joystick:

Hi,

As stated in OP, I am looking to do both. Buy a rift and upgrade my PC / GFX to handle it all. I have a total of £700 to spend upgrading my PC inc the cost of the Rift itself.

I just needed some advice on what parts of my current rig I would be best upgrading and what parts to replace them with to best run the Rift.

Now after what Alterscape has said, I'm having doubts again. It seems it's a 50 50 thing. Some people like it and say it's a real game changer and others say it's not quite ready yet. I don't know what to do :/

I know it's not an end user product but it's gotta beat my current basic setup? A 22" monitor with a home made head tracker that feels like it's permanently 10 steps behind :/

I really want to try a rift but if it IS like people say which is it's not good enough yet then I'm going to be real dissapointed.

I don't mind if it's not 100% pin sharp - it's the 3D immersion I want and the ability to move around my cockpit smoothly without all this jerking, stuttering and lagging I get from all the software and homemade clips I've tried to use for head tracking.

I've just purchased a PS3 eye to see if that's going to help improve things but I can't help thinking a Rift is going to kick the ass of anything my current desktop cockpit setup can do.

I guess I'm just going to have to suck it and see said the actress to the bishop.

But I will upgrade my gfx to a 970 whatever happens. I know my old 560 has had it's day bless it.

@Phantom_Mark..

Many thnaks for your offer mate. I'll have a little think about it while I gather some more opinions and make my mind up once and for all.

I don't get my loot til tomorrow or the day after so I'll definitely get back to you by then. And thanks again! :D

E2A: Just been reading this about the Commercial Rift Release possible for Nov 2015

The way I'm starting to look at it is like this:-

I buy a DK2 and get a year or so enjoying it for what it is. When the commercial release comes out, I'll sell on the DK2 and use what I get for it to put towards the commercial product when it is launched.

If it sucks and it's like trying to play the game through someone elses prescription lenses then I've only got myself to blame LOL

Edited by Tumbleweed

Elite Dangerous is good to run and enjoy fully right now....

DSC suffers from poor implementation and support for the DK2 imho.

Long distance clarity/sharpness for target selection is already difficult enough, and the menu stuff is pretty poor in DCS, the HUD is almost unreadable without modifying it.

However.....whilst not much use for hard core combat, for flying something like the Mustang or FW190 and sight seeing / ariel combat its awesome, or sight seeing and canyon running in the jets etc, just awesome, the sense of being in the cockpit is wow.

Very pleased I got it but not find the chance to use it at the moment as work is pretty hectic.

Elite dangerous and mentioned is fully usable and has excellent integration with the game.

However.....whilst not much use for hard core combat, for flying something like the Mustang or FW190 and sight seeing / ariel combat its awesome, or sight seeing and canyon running in the jets etc, just awesome, the sense of being in the cockpit is wow.

To be fair, with the visual limitations I have due to my setup, how DCS graphics are with distant targets etc. and other factors I don't really bother with combat at the moment. I can never see any targets at range or get my tracking to work smoothly enough to swing my head around on a swivel like it needs to be so I mostly pleasure fly.

I reckon I could cope with the lack of total clarity on things in favour of being able to move around my cockpit and feel immersed. :joystick:

Besides, I've got tonnes of half hacked electronics lying round my workshop come sim desk that have been erm, experimented with in the name of arduino so nothing I buy EVER goes to waste hehehe.

A hoarder? Me? NEVER LOL :megalol:

I'd get a GTX970 and save the money untill the commercial VR set is released.

I totally agree that the current DK2 is fantastic in Elite and is an awesome experience while doing some simple flying around but from what I have experienced, the DK2 really lacks the resolution.

Why not get a TrackIR5 set and a bigger monitor/TV? That will enhance your simming experience for the coming year massivly while enabling you to save some more for the commercial release.

I've tried to run my computer with the Rift as the only monitor and the performance boost is quite noticeable (at least in my outdated computer). No judder at all before unpausing the simulation (it's the first judder-free experience in DCS for me) and a lot less the rest of the time.

Of course, it's quite cumbersome to use the computer this way, but doable if you prepare what you are going to need before hand.

The steps are: extend desktop to the Rift, set the resolution to 948x1080@120Hz, place shortcuts for DCS and whatever you are going to need on the desktop, shutdown the computer, unplug the main monitor and turn the computer on again.

DCS must run in full screen so it can change the resolution to 1920x1080 when it launches the simulation.

:x dk2 must work different for each user. Because I can run the game at 1920, 3250x2??(4k), 5440x1080.

When playing around this weekend I was able to see res populate in the dcs options on its own with 2 more @ 7kx1080. But had no effect in game and could not get the 7k res to work correctly.

Point is still the same. Cannot read text. Cannot see visually very far at all. But the experience and every plane is amazing to now fly.

ED can you help? Thanks in advance for all the hard work!!

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Wow, navigating the menus in the Rift is a pain, no?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

To be clear -- the Rift DK2 is definitely the best price/performance ratio in VR today by a longshot. Two years ago, if you wanted this good an experience, you were easily spending $20k+. My thought is not that it's not good, but that there are going to be better things coming down the pipe shortly, both from Oculus and other vendors. If you're a consumer and you can only afford to buy one HMD in the next five years, I suspect you aren't going to want the one you buy to be a DK2. I have not got my face in Crescent Beach (sorry, Crystal Cove was the pre-DK2 prototype, I misspoke earlier) but I'm told it looks _good_, and I can only assume whatever comes after will look better.

I bought two more 24" monitors recently and I run nVidia surround at 3600x1920, with OpenTrack. For simulation I think it's a better option than any currently on-the-consumer-market HMDs. I'm hopeful about the future, though..

I've decided to follow conventional wisdom and wait until a consumer release for the Rift. Instead, I've done as advised and have purchased a nice shiney new EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB and a new 700W PSU.

My PS3 Eye should arrive today or tomorrow so I'll give that a go and see if that improves my tracking. If not I'll be ordering and trying out a genuine TrackIR.

I'm also on the look out for a bigger monitor than my current 22" 1920 x 1080 samsung LED display but I think that will be after christmas now.

:x dk2 must work different for each user. Because I can run the game at 1920, 3250x2??(4k), 5440x1080.

When playing around this weekend I was able to see res populate in the dcs options on its own with 2 more @ 7kx1080. But had no effect in game and could not get the 7k res to work correctly.

Point is still the same. Cannot read text. Cannot see visually very far at all. But the experience and every plane is amazing to now fly.

ED can you help? Thanks in advance for all the hard work!!

It wont mater even you can run dcs 4k res , RIFT is limited it's native Resolution 1920x1080p (and its halved so you get even less efective resolution. )

You won't see targets any better if dcs won't scale targets to unrealistic big size or use dot's (not gonna happen) or get CV version of rift with higer res (may happen) :book:

Curent CV 2 resolution is so low that you fly like blind. -> Same kind vision in real life and you can't get drvier license ever :D:D

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a tiny gap that if you crank your head back and look down your nose you can see just enough to see what you want to press, worked fine for me, but I also have a full HOTAS setup, so didn't need the keyboard very often tbh.

Just in case anyone else asks, the DK2 I was offering is now sold, took a whole 15mins on ebay to sell with BIN :)