Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Words out that the Cresent Bay prototype does have two displays, which bodes well for higher resolutions, and possible physical IPD adjustments, etc.

Also would be easier to program sli to work with it now that it is two screens. Vr direct hurry up!

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are trapped in the endless loop of making it a little better before public release.

Personally I think the Facebook monies allowed them to make a better initial hardware unit than they first envisioned, but probably the main reason for the delay is getting the latencies low enough, and the whole software/hardware system optimized enough to guarantee motion sickness would not kill VR again. I also like the fact they appear to have gone to two displays instead of one. There is too much competition out there now for them even to contemplate getting into any type of endless loop.

Its highly unlikely any development is caught up endless loop. That's what CV2, CV3's are for. The main criteria for the first version is not about the endless loop of better bells and whistles, but about creating the first VR unit that works, and doesn't alienate the consumer again. This is crucial.

It shouldn't matter to us who wins the race, the competition is the best thing that could happen to consumers. I also doubt Valve or Oculus will be losers, as its highly likely both will release very competitive consumer versions. The question for us will be which VR unit is best suited for software we want to run, and each individuals purpose, not which VR unit has slightly better specs.

Neither has released a consumer version, and there are always delays, so whichever company suffers the least amount of delays will probably reach the market first, but that certainly won't guarantee market dominance. That's one of the reasons Oculus has focused so much effort on third party developers, as there is no point being first to the market with not enough user content. It will be interesting to see how the Valve hardware will be able to integrate with all the content currently being made for Oculus, and if there will be enough to satisfy the market if Valve does manage to release their consumer version this year. Who knows some VR unit might find the killer app that everyone has to have.

I agree. OR is no longer the leader in this race.

Seems that way. I'm liking the look of the Vave/HTC set, but I have no vested interest in any tbh. I'm just a consumer that wants the best VR headset with a high res screen and an immersive experience. Therefor I'll be watching how all of them progress and I'll decide which one to get down the line. I hope ED supports them all.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

4K would be great in a VR headset... if it runs on the average gaming system.

It's still 4k, whether it is mounted on your head or not, and you aren't going to run it, at a decent frame rate, on an average system.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It's still 4k, whether it is mounted on your head or not, and you aren't going to run it, at a decent frame rate, on an average system.

I agree, unless there are some major optimizations on how VR runs, its unlikely that we will see 4k displays until much later consumer versions. I do like that the fact that Oculus has partnered with the display manufacturer Samsung which could allow them to have custom displays expressly built for the requirements of VR as this new tech improves.

Its highly unlikely any development is caught up endless loop. That's what CV2, CV3's are for. The main criteria for the first version is not about the endless loop of better bells and whistles, but about creating the first VR unit that works, and doesn't alienate the consumer again. This is crucial.

It shouldn't matter to us who wins the race, the competition is the best thing that could happen to consumers. I also doubt Valve or Oculus will be losers, as its highly likely both will release very competitive consumer versions. The question for us will be which VR unit is best suited for software we want to run, and each individuals purpose, not which VR unit has slightly better specs.

Neither has released a consumer version, and there are always delays, so whichever company suffers the least amount of delays will probably reach the market first, but that certainly won't guarantee market dominance. That's one of the reasons Oculus has focused so much effort on third party developers, as there is no point being first to the market with not enough user content. It will be interesting to see how the Valve hardware will be able to integrate with all the content currently being made for Oculus, and if there will be enough to satisfy the market if Valve does manage to release their consumer version this year. Who knows some VR unit might find the killer app that everyone has to have.

I have that feeling because Oculus has raised specifications for the CV1 several times. When they where designing the kickstarter campaign they aimed for something like the DK1 plus positional tracking. After the big success of the campaign something substantially better. Later, something like a slim version of the DK2, but soon specs rised again and the DK2 was released despite there was no plans for a second DK before. The current public prototype (Crescent Bay) is like light years from the DK2 and still is very inferior compared to what the people of Oculus is preparing for us.

The progression is fantastic. 3 years ago the best possible consumer VR was going to be at the level of DK1. Seen with the perspective of current prototypes it's so naive. It may have failed then.

But at some point they must stop redefining "the best VR experience at consumer level price to date". Not a trivial task, as it may make the whole thing collapse if they fall short with specifications.

I don't mean we (fans and consumers in general) should press Oculus to release sooner than what they have planned, but it's interesting discuss about it. And since I sold my beloved DK2 for economical reasons I can do much more :/

I agree, unless there are some major optimizations on how VR runs, its unlikely that we will see 4k displays until much later consumer versions. I do like that the fact that Oculus has partnered with the display manufacturer Samsung which could allow them to have custom displays expressly built for the requirements of VR as this new tech improves.
If VR takes hold, in the next years the whole system, hardware and software, will adapt to the new requirements. I guess...
Edited by average_pilot

I have that feeling because Oculus has raised specifications for the CV1 several times. When they where designing the kickstarter campaign they aimed for something like the DK1 plus positional tracking. After the big success of the campaign something substantially better. Later, something like a slim version of the DK2, but soon specs rised again and the DK2 was released despite there was no plans for a second DK before. The current public prototype (Crescent Bay) is like light years from the DK2 and still is very inferior compared to what the people of Oculus is preparing for us.

The progression is fantastic. 3 years ago the best possible consumer VR was going to be at the level of DK1. Seen with the perspective of current prototypes it's so naive. It may have failed then.

But at some point they must stop redefining "the best VR experience at consumer level price to date". Not a trivial task, as it may make the whole thing collapse if they fall short with specifications.

I don't mean we (fans and consumers in general) should press Oculus to release sooner than what they have planned, but it's interesting discuss about it. And since I sold my beloved DK2 for economical reasons I can do much more :/

If VR takes hold, in the next years the whole system, hardware and software, will adapt to the new requirements. I guess...

Kickstarter was definitely a huge startup bonus, but the two billion dollar Facebook acquisition was the real difference maker. It allowed the company to hire three hundred of some of the best people in the VR 3D tech market. Also allowed them to make and have custom hardware made, instead of the original idea of just using smartphone parts. A major bonus was the ability to fund and support third party software developers, as there was no point in releasing VR hardware if there wasn't enough software content.

As you say, Oculus is continually improving its product, but they have too. I own the DK2. It was released as a developer prototype as it was much better than the DK1, but no where near good enough for the consumer release. Some have suggested that the Crescent Bay prototype was good enough in most respects, but it also wasn't intended as a consumer release as there was still a lot of empty space in the unit to allow them room to easily interchange parts. All else being equal the Oculus consumer version could be much smaller. Not sure about the current Valve prototype as it use lasers sensors in the headset instead of just dots. I'm sure there is room for refinement in all the current VR hardware prototypes.

Since the Facebook acquisition there are people under the misconception that Oculus hardware is mainly trending toward social media. Social media will definitely be huge, and Cormack is working with mobile VR, but by far most of the huge Oculus budget is still directed toward a PC VR hardware/software gaming solution. As VR hardware improves EVERY industry as well as gaming, and social media will find a use for Oculus, Valve, Sony, Samsung etc etc hardware.

Anyway for those with Dk2 and with current .16 patch. Have you noticed that aa does not work? Anti aliasing...

Can't say that I have, although I do tend to turn my graphical settings from high to low when using the DK2 to crank up the FPS.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

sweetFX DK2 settings

Is anyone using sweetFX with the DK2? I'd be interested in seeing any profiles if someone has taken the time to optimise it for the rift.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Not sure why Valve gets a pass, though. Until the product GA's it's all vaporware!

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Going out on a limb here but... I don't think that Valve's HMD has a high enough res. for DCS:World either. It's been a while since Oculus demo'ed their latest and greatest. I'm sure they'll continuously iterate on their prototype. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have something in the pipeline that is significantly better than Crystal Cove (or whatever it's called).

They do _seem_ to be focused more on the mobile side of things these days. Also, they're are trying to come up with a way to interact within VR. Something that Valve already has a solution for...

We'll see. It's good that there's competition because that will spur development of bigger and better things. I just hope it doesn't turn into a platform war. I don't want to be stuck in the "Steam-world" (prefer my DCS to be stand-alone) for sure...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Current res is fine once you adapt to it. So what is stated as specs for the htc device is a huge improvement as its a screen per eye. Makes a big difference.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.