Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

posted in the bugs thread but copied here for info...

OK, I changed the Vsync in the nvidia control panel to force it off as doing in game did nothing.

I also changed VR pre render frames from 1 to application controlled. I dont think this was the reason but next time I loaded DCS it all worked.. I thought I had stumbled on a solution but of course the next couple of times it crashed.

Anyway, the revelation. Vsync forced off as you were saying was silky smooth. I was saying that I wanted this to be like flyinside fsx which was the best flight simming in the rift to date.

DCS is better. Much better. it is silky, silky smooth. I put the frame rate counter on and I was at 150 fps in the rift.

Damn, when we get the crash gone this will be nice.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has found a work around for avoiding the crash in the DK2, I'd love to hear it. I heard a fresh re-boot helped some people. Unfortunately when I did get in the sim, it was before I heard about the VSync issue, so I had a very juddery experience.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

I got crashes when trying to get into flights. GUI looks nice and readable though...so thats good.

For those who had flights, were the dials much clearer to read? Was it a cool experience?

What jets did you fly? wonder if it only works with certain jets.

Hi i have spent 6 hours restarting my pc after each flight, not restarting lol and it has worked 1/10 times which is frustrating. BUT

i have managed to fly the f15 and the mig29 a couple of times, in day and night and the dials are crisp. as are the mirrors.

The improvements i have noticed through the rift are:

• the mirror reflection moves with you as you turn your head (the pilot in the mirror)
  • the flares, smoke-pods and missiles look amazingly real
  • all the dials are perfectly clear and readable
  • no judder or black lines ( for me anyway, my spec is in my sig)
  • cockpit shadows are perfect (no double shadow)
  • the reflections from staring direct at the sun are spot on, they look as if staring through a camera
  • the stars at night twinkle when you pan you head. its crazy

I also had vsync off using Med settings and got a solid 75fps

its totally worth the 400 attempts to get the one flight. :joystick:

Edited by =DECOY=

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

I hope they fix the crashes with the Rift soon because a better Rift experience is what I was waiting for in 1.5 beta. This is whats happening when I crash. First of all I have to set every setting to low because I haven't managed to start a game when they are set to anything other then low. I crash all the time with higher settings, but I do randomly crash with low settings also. I crash when the mission starts to load and it is at this same point each time.

When I do crash on low setting, I just exit the game and turn the Rift off and then back on. This stops me from having to boot the PC up. I really hope they fix the crashes soon and don't just wait until the rift is out next year. I was so looking forward to 1.5 and using the Rift, but it's not very enjoyable with all these crashes.

So got it working today (with a lot of crashes in between) but made a video about my results:

I found that with instant action I can get the following modules to work about 80% of the time:

A-10C

SU-25t

UH-1

MI-8

I was able to get some of the other modules to work from a training mission I created in the past. I was able to do a little flying on the L-39 that was pretty fun.

The cockpits do look a lot better and much clearer (still not perfect, but a lot better then older version). I did have issues with the pilot position and even pressing num 5 didn't really help.

I'll try to get more footage this weekend and get more details.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Joebloggs you asked about .7 runtime in the crash reporting thread. Here is where it says it

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2487386#post2487386

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Ok since I don't have my pit here in Germany yet I can't directly help you guys out as I'm a dk2 guy aswell. But with running this on my Alienware laptop I have found only way the game works reliably aka starts up and no crashes is to start it from the dcs.exe in the bin folder where the game is installed. No shortcut would work so don't ask me why but maybe give that a try.

will give that a try :)

Hey guys!

I think I have another problem.

My DCS World 1.5 doesn't identify my rift!

Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks! (I know it's Beta status etc...)

have you updated sdk to 0.7

Hey guys!

I think I have another problem.

My DCS World 1.5 doesn't identify my rift!

Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks! (I know it's Beta status etc...)

Have you ticked auto detect rift in options

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Are you sure you have to update to 0.7? I have seen people using 0.6.0.1 in extended mode who are running it and have the same amount of crashes as the guys using 0.7.

having 0.7 is best for edge, 0.6 causes issues with postionial tracker, trust me your want to.

using 0.7 starts the game in the rift and you can see the menu via the rift, its perfect and ment for Edge

give it a go, you can always revert back, but im sure you wont ;)

Are you sure you have to update to 0.7? I have seen people using 0.6.0.1 in extended mode who are running it and have the same amount of crashes as the guys using 0.7.

You don't have to load 0.7 if you don't want too. We are running a BETA compiled against runtime .7. If you want to participate constructively in the beta process and provide feedback to the Devs so the software can progress then you need to be on .7. If you think you can get better results with .6 and just want to fly then go ahead. If you do use .6 then don't report bugs about 1.5 as it only confuses the issue.

I have another question!

In the versions before 0.7 I could use my Nvidia Settings to setup my culors brightness etc.. (in the rift)

but right now I cant setup anything!

Any ideas how to do it in 0.7?

Thanks again!

Specs:

AMD FX-8350@4gH,Nvidia GTX-970 4gb, 16gb RAM,HDD, Oculus Rift DK2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals

Z-AXIS not working ? I cannot move closer to the instruments like I used to (pre 1.5). This used to help me read through the fly screen. I am on 0.7 runtime and the latest nvidia graphics driver.

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

Z-AXIS not working ? I cannot move closer to the instruments like I used to (pre 1.5). This used to help me read through the fly screen. I am on 0.7 runtime and the latest nvidia graphics driver.

I can so it must be a fault at your end.

I want to fly the ka-50, but havn't got that working once. Has anyone else got the Ka-50 working at all?

Getting it to work with HMD seems very random.. Tried out freeflight in UH-1 earlier tonight with an average 59fps (Vsync on), but now it crashed 10times in a row :-/

Would be nice to try it without Vsync and check fps.

Anyone figured out if there are any graphics setting that = CTD?

So made an interesting discovery today and hopefully the video of it will show it off....but when I run open beta and am connected to network and it logs me in - I can get a flight in maybe 1 out 15 times...very rare.

But if I'm unplugged from the network and try it, I can get about 75% success. I've been able to do A-10C, Su-25t, Huey, and Mi-8 with the instant action. I was actually able to load my training mission and fly different aircraft including the L-39.

The bad thing is that every time I quit it crashes...so can't save replay. So I've had to resort to recording what's on the screen.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester